Preparing for auditions

Started by holzistridi, November 21, 2014, 03:16:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

holzistridi

Hey guys!

My name is Astrid and I'm from Austria! I am a big Disney fan - as all of you ;) I am at university now and was thinking a lot of time if i should go to a casting audition in London. For me, it is a quite long way to travel, that's why I want to be perfectly prepared for it (i know - you can't be perfectly prepared anyway^^). So i read a lot of informations in the forum - gosh, i am soooo lucky that i found that forum! ;D I really want to be a face character but to be a parade dancer or a fur character would be also amazing! I join a musical dance course at our university since 2 years and want to start with ballet in March to get a princess attitude (and to calm myself a little bit down because of my intention to go to London audition next year). I wouldn't describe me as a perfect dancer but i am passionated and a lot of my friends say that i am a little sunshine. So i just want to know if my dream can come true - and only if i try, i will know! Otherwise i will regret it for sure.

So - finally my question: when do you think is the best time of the year to go to an audition in London? I thought about going in November next year. Do you think January is a better option?
Please, i need your expert-advices!!

greetings from Austria - no kangaroos in Austria  :P

Astrid
never grow up

JAKKO

Hello!

Well, I can give you what I know from my own experiences and hopefully it will give you a bit of insight in to what the auditions are actually like.
So at the beginning of every audition you will be given a small form to fill out which asks you simple questions such as your name and date of birth and when you can start. After that you will be asked to remove your shoes and queue up to be measured. This is so they can get an idea of what characters you can play. From here you will then hand your form in to the casting director.
Once everyone is ready, you will all sit down on the floor and be given a 15-20 minute powerpoint presentation on what it's like to work at Disney and the kind of jobs there are and the salary.

Once this is done, the actual audition begins with something called animation. You will be asked to act out a cowboy/girl, a pirate, one of the seven dwarfs, a villain, a prince/princess, and a general cast member, all to the count of 8. After this, the casting director then makes a first cut. If he calls your number out then you are out. If he doesn't call your number out then you've passed this round.

On part two of the audition you will be asked to perform a dance routine which will increase in difficulty. You will be taught it by the choreographer and then once again you perform it in front of the casting director. Then there will be another cut. If you make it past this stage then you will have passed the audition or you will be picked along with some others to go through an additional stage where you will be taken to another room to have makeup and wigs tried on for some of the face characters. If you get approved here then great, if not then unfortunately you will be sent away :(

Now, as for some advice and some warnings...
While you are there you should make sure you are smiley and happy and even try to mingle and make some friends. Making friends will make the whole experience even better, whatever the outcome. You should make all of your movements for the first part of the audition big and different, and try to use experimental facial expressions if you can. For the dancing part of the audition, SMILE. Even if you mess the dance up there is still a possibility you can be put through the audition as a character-only performer depending on your animation score.
As for my warnings, don't go in with really high expectations as sadly there is more chance of fail than there is of success, as I've learnt from my own experiences. I have been to the auditions a number of times now and been turned away on the first round every time. You will never know what the casting people are looking for as each audition is different so regardless of your abilities, personality and over-all enthusiasm, if you get in then it is basically down to luck and timing. So just bear this in mind!

Hope that this has been some help to you and sorry that I cannot give you an answer to your question about when the best time to audition is as, like I said, it is all timing anyway so I don't really think it matters what time of the year you go. Unless you'd prefer to have a summer contract or something then it would probably be best to go to their April or May auditions.

holzistridi

Thanks a lot Jakko for the detailed reply!  :D i think you're courageous that you don't stop believing and still go to the auditions! I'm sure you will pass the audition next time because you sound very determined and a sunny person ;) don't know why the didn't picked you last time! When is next time you audition?  :) :) :)

I try to prepare myself for the animation part because it worries me the most! As I said, I laugh a lot and when i think of Disney, there is an automatically big grin in my face. So i don't think that the sparkle in my eyes and the smile will cause any problem (hopefully I'm not too nervous!). And as you said, i will try to don't go with to high expectations but it's a long way for me to travel and I've never been to London before... But I will try to be more "hakuna matata" ;)

Well, i don't want to go during summer holidays because i think that most of the people want to go that time of the year. I would prefer to go during Christmas season - so is November maybe the best choice, isn't it? Do you know if the need a lot people at November? Because I don't want to go to the audition with the worst chances ^^
never grow up

JAKKO

Hi again, thanks very much for the vote! ;)
Unfortunately, I think I am just at the worst height possible. Basically I am about 5"7-8 and according to Disney casting there is just nothing for me (at this time) so no costumes that meet my criteria. So all I can do is keep going and pray that someday there will be something available! Bit of a cheek though I think seeing as on the audition sheet it says 'All heights are welcome' but I go and it turns out that I've more or less been wasting my time as there is nothing for my height anyway. So why on earth they state things on the website that aren't true is a bit of a mystery to me. :O

As for you, well I think you sound very enthusiastic :) basically, they will score you out of 5 on your animation. Now I'm not sure whether you have to actually score 5/5 to get through or if it may be 4/5. Either way I wouldn't know seeing as like I said, I've never been accepted through to the dance round yet. And you won't get to see what you scored even if you don't make it through so if you're cut then you're cut. Finished. Over. Lol.

I'm not sure if they need a lot of people in November. It's possible though seeing as Christmas comes up not long after but I honestly think it makes no difference whatever time of year you go because they're either gonna have you or chuck you. They are just like that unfortunately :(
On the other hand, you may be perfect and get through on your first audition!! :D
Will you go again if you don't get through this time? And from my own experiences at these auditions, I think it is true that it is more based on what roles they need to fill at the time. So no matter how good you are at acting or dancing, you still won't get through unless you happen to look like one of the face characters they need at the time or if you are the height they are seeking. And besides, if you do actually get the job then you spend the first week of your contract in something called a Disney University where they teach you to animate and stuff anyway. So I think they just pick the kind of people they need at the auditions, train them up, get them out there. Simple :)

holzistridi

Sorry for my stupid question but we measure height in cm. So are you 171-172 cm? So you could be Pluto or Eeyore :) I don't know why they are that picky with height. :( it is okay that Tinkerbell should not be 2 meters high but if for example Pluto is 170 or 190 cm - who cares? ^^

yeah - if i set my mind on something, I do everything possible to reach my goal. I will definitly practise a lot for the animation part. I will watch - no I will study the Disney films until i know the moves :P for a Disney fan it is no punishment to watch the films over and over again, so it will be a lot of fun in the end :D I am now 20 years old, at the audition 21 - i think it is a good age. I moved from home at age of 18 and i think i am more matured in my head but always a child in my heart. and i am too fast at university (I'm kinda striver) so i will finish my bachelor in summer and then would be a perfect break for living my dreams :)

i don't like that they don't give you feedback or even the scores you reached :( do you audition in London or somewhere else? so if you like - we both could audition in November and cheer us up together :D in the end we both are Christmas elfs ^^ I would definitly try a second time! maybe in Paris because then i could combine it with a stay at Disneyland :D :D :D i hope it is better for the first time to audition in London because my English is one hundred times better than my French. maybe it will be a benefit that i can speak German, English and French? No - it doesn't matter as a character and when they don't see a princess in me they won't care. ^^

never grow up

JAKKO

Yes, you're absolutely right so around 170-172cm. Yeah so Pluto and Eeyore I could play however I doubt that being only able to play those characters would be good enough for the Disney casting people which is perfectly understandable to be honest because they're naturally gonna want to hire and pay people who can play lots of characters rather than a few aren't they. So unless I have a miraculous grow spurt sometime soon then it seems I could either be auditioning/waiting for a long time or doomed :/

I am the same as you with the determination thing. Once I set my mind on something then I'll try my hardest to achieve it. Now, I had never danced before in my life, apart from when I was small when I did something called Stagecoach, but now I take dance classes! That's how dedicated I am to it. I would love to be in the parades so I feel that having dance would be beneficial seeing as they claim you need a basic dance level to be a parade performer/face character anyway. Were you aware that you need a basic dance level to play a face character by the way?

Yeah, it is disappointing and very misleading when they tell you what you need to do and you do it to the best of your ability but still find you get chucked out. I have heard that some people have even had to audition up to 10-20 times before they've finally got in! I audition in London, Pineapple Dance Studios and nah, I doubt that being able to speak English, French and German would make much difference but I dunno actually, it could be beneficial to playing a face character. And I like your idea of auditioning in Paris instead so that you can combine with an actual Disney trip because if you fail the audition then at least you've got something else to look forward to straight away :) whereas auditioning away from France, like England, you'll go away feeling pretty miserable if you don't get through :(

holzistridi

First of all - to all of the people who read our conversation - feel free to join us :D maybe you have the same questions as i have or an answer to when it's best time to audition ;)

But aren't there also face characters with that hight? who you wants to play if you could choose of all? :) I don't think that you have a bad height, maybe just a bad timing when you auditioned :) I know that you feel insecure but for me you seem to be a great CM at DLP! what kind of dance classes do you take? Jazz or ballet or something else? I talked with my musical dance teacher and she said that she would everyone recommend ballet to be a good dancer. maybe it will also help to express yourself more in animation part because at ballet you also have to do big steps. yes, i recognised at my two visits at DLP that you need a basic dance level to play a face character and i already read it. i also think that it helps a lot if you practise in front of a big mirrow, where you can see your whole body :)

WOW - that are really courageous people! i don't think that i would try it 20 times but my problem is also the distance. :/ i think that it is maybe a little benefit to speak more languages but if they don't see you as a character they wouldn't mind anyway ... I want to audition first time in London because i always wanted to visit England and that is a perfect combination :) if i will fail (and i think that it will most likely happens) then i will try in Paris ;) I think you really have to be lucky that they want you at the first time you go to the audition - so they really have to see a princess they need in you and i am afraid that my skin is a little bit too dark for some princesses :( because i have a kinda little south european touch, i would say xD in summer i will put a lot of suncream on everytime i leave the house :P but i was shocked last time when i was at DLP because Ariel didn't look like Ariel, she looked like Rihanna ... for me it was a really bad choice for Ariel - so you never know what the casting audience sees in you :/
never grow up

JAKKO

Well as far as I know there isn't which is a shame really. There are for female face characters but I don't think there are for male ones. It's unfortunate that I'm not at prince height because they range from 178cm upwards, so I wouldn't even be considered for those :(
I agree with you when you say about timing because lots of people have said more or less the same thing, that if you do get through then it's mostly down to being at the right audition at the right time. But that's probably also why so many people have been auditioning for up to two years! :O

As for dance, well luckily for me I know a kind woman who is a professional dancer and danced professionally for twelve years and she does me one-to-one lessons for a reasonable price. So she knows all about my aim to work for Disney and the rest of it so she's been going through bits and teaching me how to do the sort of moves/steps that may be thrown into the audition. She once auditioned for Tokyo Disney but I don't think she got it.

As for characters not looking like the characters, I agree with you as I've seen lots of videos of the parade on YouTube where some Aurora's don't look like Aurora and princes don't look like the princes. Also, it seems that all the people that play the princes and princesses are quite a bit older than you and me. Most of them look either in the mid-twenties, late-twenties or even early-thirties, which is ridiculous seeing as those characters are supposed to be young anyway :S

holzistridi

I think most of the female characters are maximum 170 cm. What's about Peter Pan? He is one of my favourites characters :D And he should be your height?! my favourite prince is Phillipp :P What's yours? :)

you are really wanting this! private dance lessons! I'm a little bit jealous ;) do you think you are getting better and better? do you also practising animation part with her?

I think the only one who always looks great is Snow White. I would love to be Belle but I don't think that I'm looking like her, unfortunately :( I'm not sure because I was in DLP in September and i watched the face characters very critical - like how they move, how tall they are, how old and so on. For example I was exactly the same height as Belle because I made a picture with her. And she doesn't look older than we are. They have a lot of make up on so it is hard to guess. And for me, the long dresses also make a girl look like a woman (if you know what i mean :) )
But if they are older - we have quite a lot of chances to go to auditions ;) so we have to think positive!!!
never grow up

JAKKO

Well, yeah, Peter Pan is about my height but I couldn't be him as I am not the right body type. It looks like you need to be pretty slim to fit into his costume. I'm not slim/fit but I am not overweight/fat so I'm about average. So the problem with being a prince for me is I'm not tall enough and I'm not slim enough (I don't think). I do go to the gym though so that is something I'm working on but annoying as it is, I don't think I can grow any taller. I'm 19 and I'm not sure what age guys stop growing, even though I thought it was 21. But I don't know, maybe doing stretching exercises might help me to grow a bit taller? It's strange though because even though they say you have to be tall to play the princes, I've seen some of them who are exactly the same height as the princesses so they're obviously not very truthful. My favourite prince is probably Philip too by the way :) however, I think I look like Snow White's prince the most.

You girls seem to have an advantage being around 5"5 or 6-7 because theres all those princesses you could play. Makes me kinda wish I was a female ;) lol.

holzistridi

I saw a tinkerbell who was average and not slim last time at the parade. That made me feel a little bit better because i have a female body which i cannot hide even if i loose 10 kg. But i like it and i work hard on my body - hopefully they want a princess like me and not a model without hips and so on. You may be right with peter :/ do you have a childish face? I think it is the most important to be peter. So if you saw a "small" prince - maybe you are the next one next to snow white :D i imagine that we both make it throw the audition and be one of the couples. Lol but we would have perfect height difference ^^

Do stretching exercises. You are male so you stop growing at the age of 21, as you said! And it is also good for dancing ;) yeah but for example my sister is a little bit taller than you are and she couldn't play anyone except of fur characters. I have that feeling that we both will reach our dream and will work there in the future :) we just should make a wish upon a star ;) disney will lead us :D
never grow up

JAKKO

Well I don't know what people think about my face to be honest but funnily enough, nearly everyone I meet say I look just like Peter Pan xD

I'm glad you say 21 because so many people tell me it's impossible for me to grow anymore. Do you reckon I could stretch to about 5"10? (178cm).
By the way, don't you find it a bit odd that they say to be a face character you need to be able to dance? Because at the auditions they say the reason is because they are all in the parades. But they're not ALL in the parades are they? Take Belle for inatance, she isn't in either of the parades is she. And besides, the ones that are in the parades don't really dance anyway, they just sit there doing arm gestures and waving.

Do you have Facebook??

holzistridi

I sent you a pm ;)

Hahahaha. But that is perfect i think! I don't want to destroy your dreams but i don't think that you could grow that much. On the other hand miracles happen every day :)

I don't think that they need to dance anyway but i am not an expert. Unfortunantely i've never been a princess in dlp. :( but i completely agree that they don't need to dance. Just waltz maybe for the meet and greet in the cinderella restaurant. So i am sorry but i can't give you an answer :( in my opinion i would say that if the casting audience sees you as a face character, the dance is not important ;)
never grow up

AlexHM

So much useful information. I really don't have anything to ask or add after reading your posts people. G'luck and thank you so much  ;D

holzistridi

hey alex! :)

thank you! when do you want to go to an audition and where? :D
never grow up