is star tours and the ratatouille ride safe for epileptics

Started by 21_crimson, November 29, 2014, 01:49:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

21_crimson

hi,

I have been epileptic (only a mild form) since I was 10 . I have been scared to go on certain rides for a while now. I was wondering is anyone knows if there rides are ok for me from experience.
When I was little I loved star tours but I'm not sure it it's a good idea for me to go on the ride. I also want to try out the new ratatouille ride but I'm kind of scared since it is in 3D.
I never had any major trouble with rides but I did get ill on the rock and rollercoaster because of all the lights. things like space mountain , buzz and armageddon are absolutely no problem.

bad-pink-tink

I haven't been on Ratatouille so I can't tell you about that. I would not advise you to go on Star Tours. In my opinion it is not suitable for someone like you, sorry
When You Wish Upon A Star Dreams Can Become Reality
♥ ♥ ♥ Disneyworld Florida 1992
♥ ♥ ♥ Disneyland California 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015,2016,2017
♥ ♥ ♥ Disneyland Paris 2011 2013, 2016

samuelvictor

Obviously I'm not a doctor, so can't really give you advice, especially as I don't know how severe your condition is.

I do know that Star Tours uses a projection screen at 24 frames per second (same as most cinemas), which is slightly more flickery than TV. Have you had issues in cinemas before? Whilst I don't remember there being specifically prolonged scenes of flashing lights or strobing, there are warning lights that flash and fast scenes of warping through star fields (like in the films, or in Star Trek where they go into warp speed).

I've not been on Ratatouille yet (looking forward to it next month when we go) but the projected scenes in that are likely at a higher frame-rate, and I've not seen reports of flashing or strobing lights. The 3D system used uses passive glasses, the same as "real D" cinemas and home 3D televisions with the grey/black lens glasses that don't require batteries. Whether this type of 3D is aggravating to epileptics I don't know, but I do know that its far less invasively flickery than active 3D systems.

To be safe I'd have to say air on the side of caution. However, if you yourself know that your condition is mild and you've been ok in the past with cinema projection and 3d films, then you can make a more informed decision.

Of course, you could watch the many unofficial "on ride" videos on Youtube to get a clearer idea of the content of the shows to see if they look like they'd be problematic for you...

21_crimson

Quote from: samuelvictor on November 29, 2014, 08:16:03 PM
Obviously I'm not a doctor, so can't really give you advice, especially as I don't know how severe your condition is.

I do know that Star Tours uses a projection screen at 24 frames per second (same as most cinemas), which is slightly more flickery than TV. Have you had issues in cinemas before? Whilst I don't remember there being specifically prolonged scenes of flashing lights or strobing, there are warning lights that flash and fast scenes of warping through star fields (like in the films, or in Star Trek where they go into warp speed).

I've not been on Ratatouille yet (looking forward to it next month when we go) but the projected scenes in that are likely at a higher frame-rate, and I've not seen reports of flashing or strobing lights. The 3D system used uses passive glasses, the same as "real D" cinemas and home 3D televisions with the grey/black lens glasses that don't require batteries. Whether this type of 3D is aggravating to epileptics I don't know, but I do know that its far less invasively flickery than active 3D systems.

To be safe I'd have to say air on the side of caution. However, if you yourself know that your condition is mild and you've been ok in the past with cinema projection and 3d films, then you can make a more informed decision.

Of course, you could watch the many unofficial "on ride" videos on Youtube to get a clearer idea of the content of the shows to see if they look like they'd be problematic for you...
I don't have any trouble with watching movies but I also never tried 3D .
I haven't had a seizure 6 years but I don't want to risk anything.

samuelvictor

Just found this online at the Epilepsy Society website:

"There are relatively few cases of photosensitive seizures in cinemas. The frame rate of normal cinemas is 24 frames per second, which would produce noticeable flicker and so be a risk to photosensitive people. However, the intensity in the cinema is very low (about one hundredth of a television set).

"With ‘real 3D’ films, three images are projected, at a combined rate of 48 flashes per second. Because the projected images are polarised – that is, aimed at each separate eye – that is 24 flashes per second to each eye. If one assumes that the polarising reduces the light output by fifty percent there should be even less risk of a seizure trigger for people with photosensitive epilepsy.

"This means you are only getting half the intensity of a normal cinema, but equally everything else in the cinema has a similar reduction so the contrast remains the same.  It appears that this is like wearing sunglasses in a normal cinema."

http://www.epilepsysociety.org.uk/3d-films-and-photosensitive-epilepsy#.VHotMIusWSo

However, of course again its up to you to decide if you think it'll be ok for you personally. Obviously any kind of screen based activity (tv, videogames, cinema) can pose risks for photosensitive people, even without excessive flashing, so it depends on the sensitivity of the individual...

Either way I'm sure you'll have a great holiday :)

21_crimson

Quote from: samuelvictor on November 29, 2014, 09:33:51 PM
Just found this online at the Epilepsy Society website:

"There are relatively few cases of photosensitive seizures in cinemas. The frame rate of normal cinemas is 24 frames per second, which would produce noticeable flicker and so be a risk to photosensitive people. However, the intensity in the cinema is very low (about one hundredth of a television set).

"With 'real 3D' films, three images are projected, at a combined rate of 48 flashes per second. Because the projected images are polarised – that is, aimed at each separate eye – that is 24 flashes per second to each eye. If one assumes that the polarising reduces the light output by fifty percent there should be even less risk of a seizure trigger for people with photosensitive epilepsy.

"This means you are only getting half the intensity of a normal cinema, but equally everything else in the cinema has a similar reduction so the contrast remains the same.  It appears that this is like wearing sunglasses in a normal cinema."

http://www.epilepsysociety.org.uk/3d-films-and-photosensitive-epilepsy#.VHotMIusWSo

However, of course again its up to you to decide if you think it'll be ok for you personally. Obviously any kind of screen based activity (tv, videogames, cinema) can pose risks for photosensitive people, even without excessive flashing, so it depends on the sensitivity of the individual...

Either way I'm sure you'll have a great holiday :)

Thank you for looking this up for me .

samuelvictor