For those who have done the indirect Eurostar?

Started by izzysfirstdisney, November 22, 2014, 10:16:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

izzysfirstdisney

Hiya,

Am looking at doing an additional package for Jan,

For those who have done the indirect Eurostar ( as no direct in Jan ) was just wondering what it was like? Was it easy or more trouble than its worth etc

Many thanks

captain rocket

Seemless! The connection at Lille is very straightforward, reserved seats etc. it does take a little longer, but it's fine.

izzysfirstdisney

Thats great thanks,

Assumed it would be but wanted to check as we will have an 18 month old with us

captain rocket

The tip I always give first timers on TGV (Don't know if you fall into this category!) Your TGV ticket will have the carriage number and seat number on it, when you reach the platform you will find an illuminated sign with the position of your carriage in relation to the rest of the train. All you need to know is which numbered panel on the platform conforms with your carriage and wait there for the trains arrival. This beats having to run the whole length of the train when it arrives! Have a nice journey.

LeonardoAcropolis

Hello, we are also using the indirect service for the first time ever.

We only have a 30 minute turn around at Lille on the way home. I am a little worried about there not being enough time to leave the TGV and go through security. Do you think this is enough time, captain rocket?  I'm not even daring to worry about the TGV being delayed (wibble).

stecal

Quote from: LeonardoAcropolis on November 22, 2014, 06:16:58 PM

We only have a 30 minute turn around at Lille on the way home. I am a little worried about there not being enough time to leave the TGV and go through security. Do you think this is enough time, captain rocket?  I'm not even daring to worry about the TGV being delayed (wibble).

I hope so as i have the same connection time in feb as the only adult with 3 kids,surely they wouldn't give us a quick connection time if it wasn't easily doable

LeonardoAcropolis

That's what the rational part of my brain is telling me, Stecal  :D

captain rocket

If everything runs to time, the connection will only take 10 minutes at most so you should all have enough time, its just like an airport they check the bags through a scanner and have a look at your passport.

polar vixen

Do they still check everything at Disney also though?  Our train leaves. 3:45 from Disney,  do we still need to get there for. 3? To check in

Disneyprincesswannab

The only drawback we found was not having the luggage service-otherwise smooth in every way.

daddyof2

The most reliable website for information on such matters appears to be www.seat61.com - and their recommendation is 20 minutes on the way out but on return they say allow 40 minutes at Lille to allow for the 30 minute Eurostar check in. Fingers crossed for you!

Quote from: stecal on November 22, 2014, 06:21:49 PM

I hope so as i have the same connection time in feb as the only adult with 3 kids,surely they wouldn't give us a quick connection time if it wasn't easily doable

Wedmad

Quote from: polar vixen on November 22, 2014, 07:53:43 PM
Do they still check everything at Disney also though?  Our train leaves. 3:45 from Disney,  do we still need to get there for. 3? To check in

No you don't check in/do passports at disney/Marne la Valle you just validate your ticket in one of the ticket machines at the entrance to the platforms. You do passport etc at Lille. At Lille it is easly do able just don't stop for shopping or drinks on the platform head straight to the Eurostar check in. You will be fine.

stecal

Quote from: Wedmad on November 22, 2014, 10:13:54 PM
Quote from: polar vixen on November 22, 2014, 07:53:43 PM

No you don't check in/do passports at disney/Marne la Valle you just validate your ticket in one of the ticket machines at the entrance to the platforms. You do passport etc at Lille. At Lille it is easly do able just don't stop for shopping or drinks on the platform head straight to the Eurostar check in. You will be fine.

Thanks for the reassurance was starting to panic a bit

andrewuk

Came back through Lille once (was over 10 years ago), no problems at all.

However, while on the subject I am seriously considering going through Paris on a future trip. Has anyone got any advice on that?
July 2003 My Travel Explorers
May 2004 Sequoia Lodge
July 2006 Patio St Antoine @Nation (RER commute to DLRP)
December 2007 Kyriad Val de France
August 2009 Hotel New York
May 2015 Hotel Cheyenne

michie0106

On our trip last year our TGV train was delayed and we were quite late for our Lille connection, however the train was held until we arrived as it was the last train to London (I think it was 7 or 8ish).  Rushed quickly through check in and we got back just fine.

Quote from: stecal on November 22, 2014, 06:21:49 PM