Audition Failure

Started by JAKKO, November 05, 2014, 08:00:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JAKKO

Anyone have any ideas as to why I keep getting cut from the auditions?? I've auditioned three times now and have not got through the animation round ever.

jenniedisney

Hi there,
I can ONLY speak from my personal experience and beliefs!!

I have wanted to work for Disney since I was a young child. I have a theatre studies (BASIC) background....i did the subject for A level and have been in productions in the past. My dance background is kinda non existent....i did the usual child classes of tap, ballet etc, then was a dancer in the olympic ceremonies. I think its a raw talent, rather than something that I am amazing at, I haven't attended any dance class or school.

I auditioned in July 2009. I, like you, didnt get past the animation round. I was devastated. It has put me off completely. I still go and holiday there and see the parade dancers and just WISH i could be one of them. Im a bit stalkerish too, i look up the facebook profiles of people who ARE over there. Its quite an insight actually!!!! Some have been there for 3-4 years!!

Here is my input into why some may not be chosen....
1. Height - they take your height almost immediately. I am 5,8. A pretty crappy height. Im just average. They love girls to be shorter.
2. Looks - You can see from my pic, i dont look like a disney princess. Some say this is a myth that you need to be good looking.....trust me, go on the facebook profiles! They are all stunning girls and boys. The girls look like the princesses and the boys just look well groomed/maintained, "boy next door".
3. Background - Again, look on the facebook pages. ALL the people over there have attended dance school, or studied it at college/uni. "Apparently" at the audition they don't even look at your CV until you are much more progressed through the rounds.......RUBBISH!!!! Either that or it is PURELY conincidental!!!!

Like i said, I was GUTTED!! It has put me off, because in my heart i believe i know what they are looking for! They want girls who look like princesses, and they want boys! Im sure that not enough men try and go for it!
I gave everything at the audition, i smiled non stop (felt a bit stupid), i had LOADS of energy, i didnt try and shy away. The people they put through......honest to god......looked like face characters.

Some might say to you to keep trying......its up to you whether to believe them or not. I just chose not to. :) saves me money, time and heartache
Been going to Disney since October 1992.
Hotels Stayed in:
Cheyenne 1992
Disneyland Hotel 1993-Present
Sequoia Lodge - 2010
Disneyland Hotel Castle Club 2007,2008,2010,2011,2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016
Millennium Celebration 1999-2000 in Disneyland Hotel

WDW Cast Member 2016-2017
Stayed in EVERY resort on property

nathalie

Quote from: jenniedisney on November 11, 2014, 11:35:02 AM
"Apparently" at the audition they don't even look at your CV until you are much more progressed through the rounds.......RUBBISH!!!!

I may be reading it wrong, but isn't that a good thing?
Yeah, you need a good CV these days, but if they don't look at it in the first rounds, I would think, it would give people who don't have a good dancing background a better chance.

If they'd look at the CV straight away, and see there is no good dancing background, they could already decline you from coming in at all.

Fairytale

Quote from: nathalie on November 11, 2014, 12:20:15 PM
Quote from: jenniedisney on November 11, 2014, 11:35:02 AM
"Apparently" at the audition they don't even look at your CV until you are much more progressed through the rounds.......RUBBISH!!!!

I may be reading it wrong, but isn't that a good thing?
Yeah, you need a good CV these days, but if they don't look at it in the first rounds, I would think, it would give people who don't have a good dancing background a better chance.

If they'd look at the CV straight away, and see there is no good dancing background, they could already decline you from coming in at all.

I think she meant to say that they SAY they don't look at your CV in the first rounds, but they actually DO look at your CV in the first rounds.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

nathalie

Like that, I get it, hehe  :)

Pixie Dust

Well, they never looked at my CV before any round at all? The people who were offered a contract had to hand them in, so the casting directors could never know if you have a specific background or not. But i do think they can see. Cause you can just tell if someone had dance/theatrelessons before by the way they perform. First time I auditioned i was in the running to become a paradedancer, although i never had a dancinglesson in my life before. And yes, eventually they could tell, since i did that danceround with 4 others who all took lessons. They teach you very fast and i couldn't keep up with that. Second time i auditioned i got through the animation and danceround and was selected to be a face character (although it didn't worked out the way they wanted after the fitting and ended up with no contract at all). So again, i never had a dancinglesson in my life before and i took some theatrelessons when i was like.. 11 years old (20 now) and don't consider myself as someone with a typical princessy-face.

I did notice they were mostly looking for paradedancers the first time and for face characters the second time. So i really think it depends on what they're looking for at that specific moment and you have to have a bit of luck. You can get casted one time, but they may not choose you the other time. Like: you can be an absolutely perfect cinderella, but if they don't need a cinderella untill next year, they will tell you to come back another time (if you passed the other rounds). But everything starts with animation, because everybody has to do character sets (to quote Daniel haha). So if you're not sure about your skills, take some lessons!
As to jenniedisney, i really think you should try again! You have the right background and only tried once and everybody can have a bad day! Although I can imagine it hurts when you get rejected.. but on the other hand... if you don't try your dreams will never come true!

jenniedisney

What I was saying was that it isn't fair for people who have a passion for the company, rather than just want to dance for any old company. I could have been the most passionate person in that audition room, but they would have had no clue.
My CV, was full of my passion for the brand, ability and eagerness to learn, desire to immerse oneself in a world of magic and wonder etc. No I had nothing on my CV dance related. We had to give our CV in straight away as our heights were taken.

Yes I do agree that it could have some benefits if they don't look at the cv straight away.

I was approaching it from the point of view of wanting to work for the company, rather than previous experience. Im thinking I approach it as if the company was as important as it is in the US. Over there, they are very passionate about the experience that both staff and customers gain from being involved with the company.
Been going to Disney since October 1992.
Hotels Stayed in:
Cheyenne 1992
Disneyland Hotel 1993-Present
Sequoia Lodge - 2010
Disneyland Hotel Castle Club 2007,2008,2010,2011,2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016
Millennium Celebration 1999-2000 in Disneyland Hotel

WDW Cast Member 2016-2017
Stayed in EVERY resort on property

bad-pink-tink

In my opinion, when Disney do auditions, they have specific criteria they have to fill. They have a list, ie height, looks, size/ weight dancing ability acting ability etc etc. You might look like the perfect princess BUT they may not be looking for princess at that audition OR they may be looking for a tall thin male who doesn't necessarily have to dance that well OR they might be looking for a small thin female who also dances very well.

You might see average dancers get through to next rounds while great dancers get cut. You might see princess looking girls get cut while those not typically Disney looking get through to the next rounds.

People without any dance training may get cast because they fit other criteria.

Always remember at these auditions, its not about being the best dancer  or looking the part, its about THEM finding a person who matches exactly what they are looking for.

When You Wish Upon A Star Dreams Can Become Reality
♥ ♥ ♥ Disneyworld Florida 1992
♥ ♥ ♥ Disneyland California 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015,2016,2017
♥ ♥ ♥ Disneyland Paris 2011 2013, 2016