N2O's Halloween trip (9-11 October) - FINISHED

Started by never2old, October 14, 2014, 12:38:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

never2old

Hello!

So we're back from DLP... Hard to be back, we had a really good time.Weather was quite good, mostly dry, and even sunny and warm some times! Crowds were very reasonable, the longest we waited was for Ratatouille (and only because the ride broke down....), I even managed to go on BTM with a 10 minute wait!! And Halloween is excellent this year, even better than last year's. The new decorations in the Castle Courtyard are great, the little Halloween parade is excellent (I still have the song in my head), the park was looking really beautiful.

Best part was of course seeing how happy my little princess was, she had a really magical time.

We arrived Thursday a bit after noon; we left the bags in our hotel (the Hipark), and went straight to the Studios; we had booked lunch in Bistrot Chez Remy, but had a bit of time to spare before. We were quite lucky with our timing, we got there just in time for Animagique (which got slightly ruined by the family sitting in front of us, who decided Animagique was the perfect place for their lunch, and spent the show passing (smelly) sandwhiches and fruits and biscuits to each other  >:().

After Animagique we went to the new Ratatouille area, and saw that they still had fastpasses for later that afternoon. Perfect timing again, we would have time to eat and then could do the ride  :D

Lunch in the Bistrot Chez Remy was AMAZING. The restaurant itself is beautifully decorated, great theming.  The food came quickly, and was really really good. The started salad was very tasty, great dressing. The steak was beautifully cooked anad the chef's sauce delicious. And then the dessert... I had the chocolate mousse, yummy yummy, and my husband the cheese (which smelled amazing, and he said tasted really good). My daughter had the children's menu and it was also very good. Really good experience, can't wait to try it again during our next trip  :)

After lunch it was time for our fastpasses, we had decided to try the ride with Alicia, when we had first done it during the Shareholder's Previews we thought maybe she wouldn't like it, that it was maybe a bit fast for her, but once there we thought we should give it a go... So we all went in with our FP, and we were just getting to the 3D glasses stand when the queue stopped moving, and they turned the lights on... Then started the announcements saying the ride was temporarily down and thanking us for our patience... Every time they made the same announcement a few people left, so after 30 minutes or so there were very few of us in the fastpass queue, sitting on the floor, waiting... Eventually they said the ride was going to close, but the people who were still waiting in line were let into the ride  :) So after about 45 minutes wait, we managed to go in! Only the fastpass side of the ride seemed to be working, the 3 ratmobiles by the standby side were not moving, so maybe there was a problem there. In any case, the rest of the ride seemed to be working OK  :D And our daughter (who doesn't really know Ratatouille) really liked it (particularly the bit where Skinner's hand comes at you).

When we got out of the ride the sun was shining, it was lovely and warm, perfect really  :D The Place de Remy was looking gorgeous; even with the fountain not working (real shame), it was really beautiful...

Here are some pics from the start of the trip

Continues soon!!

pialykke

Oh wow N2O! How lovely to read another trip report from you. I'm so glad Alicia enjoyed Ratatouille. Our boys are really looking forward to it - and they know the film very well, so I imagine it will be spectacular. :) I think we will have to try the Bistro as well, after the great reviews it's been getting on here.
Looking forward to the next installments. :)

May 2017 - Newport
November 2014 - Santa Fe
March 2014 - Santa Fe
March 2012 - Santa Fe

vampira

Very nice report of your trip so far! Great pictures too! I want to read/see more!  ;)
"If you can dream it, you can do it." - Walt Disney"

AislingM

Love your pictures, cant wait to see the rest
Hotel Cheyenne January 1998, 99, 2000,
Newport Bay May 2002
Hotel Cheyenne January 03,04,05,06,07,08, 10,12
Sequoia Lodge January 2009, Feb 2013
Hotel New York November 11, Feb 14
Newport Bay November 14

never2old

Thanks  :D

After Ratatouille, we walked past Toon Studio, where Mickey and Woody were doing meet 'n' greets. Alicia of course went straight for the Mouse...Wait wasn't bad at all, maybe 5 minutes?  ;D

After that it was time for Cars, it used to be one of Alicia's favourite rides but this time she didn't seem to enjoy it so much, she said they were going too fast... (she was totally fine in the teacups or spinning like a maniac in Buzz  ::) ) but for some reason Cars wasn't quite as good this time... We followed that with a go on the Magic Carpets (another ride with no queue at all), before heading for Disney Jr Live on Stage.

If I'm honest I'm starting to be really tired of that show, I would have trouble deciding which bit I like the least... But the pre-show with Jake and Sofia, particularly when your little princess is mad on Sofia, is a must.... So there we went.

Since our little princess was the only girl in a Sofia dress, she got lots of attention from princess Sofia. At one point Alicia went to show Sofia her crown (she has a little crown that looks a lot like Sofia's), and it felt down. So Sofia sat down on the floor with Alicia, and put it back on her head... Alicia was the happiest little girl!!

When we got out, the Studios were quite empty (it was almost closing time). Unfortunately Ratatouille was still closed (really glad we had decided to stay in line and got to do it earlier!!) so after a quick browse in the shops, we headed to Disneyland Park for the rest of the evening.

Some photos!

Continues soon!!

msRavenswood

Your little girl is adorable! Lovely trip report, can't wait to read about the rest of your trip!  :D

RockNRoller

When I first saw the menu for Chez Remy I wasn't that excited but having seen your photo's I'm going to have to go, the detail looks amazing, thanks for posting
DLRP 2000,01,02,03,04x2,05,06,07,08,09,10,11,13, 14, 2015 (Booked)

"Pumba, not in front of the kids"

msRavenswood

Quote from: RockNRoller on October 14, 2014, 03:50:32 PM
When I first saw the menu for Chez Remy I wasn't that excited but having seen your photo's I'm going to have to go, the detail looks amazing, thanks for posting

It's really worth it, trust me!  ;)

BlackPearl

Great report. Your little princess is really cute. Can't wait for more (report and pictures  ;D)

never2old

Thank you all  :D

Quote from: RockNRoller on October 14, 2014, 03:50:32 PM

Oooooh you need to go, menu is limited but delicious, we had a really wonderful meal!!

I'm preparing the next update, will be up soon!!

never2old

Here's the next update!

Finally, we got into Disneyland Park! It's funny, I think on the last couple of trips we've always started with the Studios. I do find that with our little girl there are plenty of things to do there, and though the park still has a lot way to go before being anywhere close to the level of its wonderful neighbour, it is getting a lot better. Still, it felt pretty strange being in DLP for a few hours before actually walking into Main Street!!

Of course in the little walk from the Studios to Disneyland, Alicia felt asleep... All the excitement from dancing with Sofia I guess :) And we arrived just as the parade was arriving to Town Square, so Main Street was packed with people (and loud music). We were going to see the parade on Friday, so didn't stay too long to watch it. I did however notice that the fairies at the beginning where walking, instead of gliding as usual!! When did that change?

After booking a restaurant for Saturday in City Hall, we went straight to the Liberty Arcade to escape the noise (didn't want to wake up Alicia too soon) and continued straight to Frontierland. There the sight we all like to see: 10 minutes wait only in BTM :D  My husband wasn't too bothered by it, so he stayed with Alicia while I went to the wildest ride in the west!! Of course there were two lines and everyone was going to the same line, so by simply going into the second line I actually managed to skip about half the wait...

BTM was brilliant!!! I don't remember the last time I got to ride it (that's the problem of going to DLP with children  ::)) and I had missed it!!

When I got out Alicia was still fast asleep, and we were discussing what to do next when I was approached by aurora1 from the magicforum! She had spotted me in BTM and came to say hello  :) It was really lovely meeting her  :D

We thought we would try Phantom Manor next. Since I'd been on BTM I let my husband go first, while I stayed a bit behind admiring the Halloween decorations. That's when Alicia woke up, so I didn't get to go on Phantom Manor (we tried it once with her, she didn't like it at all....). Hopefully I'll get to go on next month, it's really been too long since I visited the Ravenswoods!!!

With everyone wide awake, we headed towards Fantasyland, and straight towards Peter Pan. Good timing again, wait was only 10 minutes, so in no time we were boarding our ship and flying off to Neverland. I thought the ride was a bit too dark (particularly when you're flying over Neverland), and as usual slightly too fast to be able to really appreciate everything, but it was still very magical, and it remains the best ride in Fantasyland.

When we came out they had closed off the rest of Fantasyland, so we decided to try Discoveryland. Of course traveling from Peter Pan to Discoveryland less than one hour before Dreams is not an easy task. We had to go all the way to Adventure Isle, before turning left towards the Bazaar area (fortunately we still managed to cross that way, they seemed to be shutting it down as well), with a little detour by Aladdin's Passage.^, before reaching Central Plaza. There were plenty of people waiting for Dreams already, the Castle was looking gorgeous all dressed up in red for Halloween, but we still had maybe 20 minutes so it was Discoveryland and Buzz for us :) A real favourite for the whole family. It was pretty quiet by now so we walked almost straight in, twice :D (well, Alicia was more like running straight in ;) )

A lot of fun, even though first time I didn't have a great gun, I couldn't really aim too far away. And the second time I had a great gun but Alicia was spinning non stop and laughing like mad, so aiming anywhere wasn't really an option!!  (she would do that quite a lot for the next couple of days  ::))

When we came out it was 5 minutes before Dreams, so we went to find a spot in our "usual" space, to the side of the Castle. We got a spot right at the front (so one one in front of us blocking our view).

Here are the photos for the start of the evening, Dreams coming next!!

seraphelle

Disneyland Hotel ~ 3rd - 6th October 2013
Sequoia Lodge ~ 28th October - 1st November 2014
Adagio Val d'Europe ~ 12th - 20th November 2015
Sequoia Lodge ~ 15th - 18th May 2016
Day trip ~ 1st August 2016
HiPark ~ 4th - 6th November 2016
Rive Gauche ~ 17th - 21st February 2017
Adagio Val d'Europe ~ 29th May - 3rd June 2017
Adagio Val d'Europe ~ 23rd - 27th October 2017
Rive Gauche ~ 27th - 30th October 2017
Adagio Val d'Europe ~ 14th - 19th March 2019

never2old

And now, Disney Dreams  ;)

I love this show!!!

After that it was time to go back to the hotel, for a good night rest... Day 2 coming soon!!

norhel

4 trips to DLP, 3 to WDW, 1 to Disneyland California

never2old

Day 2!

Despite waking up fairly early (that's one of the many joys of having a 3 year old...  ;)) we ended up getting to the park on the late side, a bit after 10.

It was a beautiful Friday morning, not too cold, clear skies, just gorgeous... For the fist time we got to really appreciate Main Street in all its Halloween glory  :)

It was almost 10:30 so we decided to stay around Central Plaza and wait for the Villains Promenade, which soon enough made its way towards us. I had to say, the Villains Promenade sounded pretty weak, and it is... You have the old parade float coming from Fantasyland (I have to admit it was nice seeing it again), and when it gets to Central Plaza the Villains come out from the Castle - so unless you're facing the Castle, you don't see them at all. Then they go slowly around Central Plaza, stop for a group photo (again you need to be facing them in the right spot to see that), before going back out towards Fantasyland. Not the most exciting thing, it's definitely lacking something... A few dancers for a start. Definitely the weakest Halloween happening.

Here are some photos from the start of the morning: