My Parisian Summer Trip Report - Part 1-3 online!

Started by DLP-Photos.com, August 01, 2014, 01:03:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DLP-Photos.com

So, finally I'm back here and it's with exciting news: on monday I leave for Paris and I will be in Disneyland from early tuesday to friday afternoon. Loads of time to take new photos, bring back all the memories and of course create brand new memories from Place de Rémy! After travelling twice with my - now - ex-girlfriend last year, I am once again going back with my friend Kristian who I went with three consecutive years from 2010-2012. It'll be great to be back after I scrapped this tradition last year - people who followed previous trip reports from our trips will know that we always get loads done during such a stay and often only with 5 hours sleep each night. So be prepared for some packed, enchanting and photo rich updates once I'm back :-)

So the plan for the trip is that we leave Aalborg, Denmark on monday morning 6.25 and fly to Amsterdam before we finally arrive in Charles de Gaulle app. 5 hours after leaving Aalborg. That'd be quite the change from our previous trips where we have travelled by bus with EuroLines giving us a travel time of a little less than 24 hours  :D

Monday is all Paris and we will be staying near the Gare du Nord until tuesday where we will go to Marne-la-Vallée as early as possible almost to check-in at Santa Fe and get the Disney days started!

Be sure to follow me on Twitter (https://twitter.com/dlp_photos) where I will be live tweeting from the trip. I cannot guarantee how much as it will be depending on coverage and time, but I sure will post some updates and try to reply to questions in the evening or morning back at the hotel :)

Otherwise be sure to keep an eye on dlp-photos.com my new and upcoming website containing my best photos from Disneyland Paris and Paris. I expect it to be launched before I leave. From that site I will share this blog post about the upcoming trip:

"You Know It...

You feel it. That desire for adventure, the urge to discover new frontiers and the relief of once again letting your fantasy take over. In other words: your trip to Disneyland Paris is just around the corner. In just one week I'll be walking around in Paris before taking the morning train to Marne-la-Vallée for a new 4 day adventure in Disneyland Paris. Having gone twice in 2013 with my - now - ex-girlfriend I'll be going with my friend. Having gone three years in a row from 2010-2012 only interrupted by me last summer, I am happy to be going back with him. We never waste time yet we still take all the time needed to take in that special atmosphere. The atmosphere that takes you out of your everyday life and right into the heart of magic. I cannot wait to just have four days of pure relaxation before an all new life awaits once I return back home.

So what is my expectations for this trip?

Of course there is one very small friend who I cannot wait to be welcomed by; Rémy! Having followed the construction of Ratatouille L'Aventure Totalement Toquée de Rémy both on site and online since the very first rumours started I can hardly wait another second before visiting the Paris within Disneyland Paris. I followed every tweet from the press review weekend and on next tuesday I am convinced I stand amazed by this brand new adventure. I hope with all I got that I will. So far it has seemed to be extremely popular and I hope to see that for myself too. Extreme success for Ratatouille will be essential for Walt Disney Studios Park. Showing that big investments with focus on quality in stead of quantity can bring in the European crowds could give us a very exciting future for WDS. I don't know yet if I'll be eating in Bistrot Chez Rémy, but I hope to.

Of other new things is the Lego Store, which do excite me having been a major Lego fan as a boy I'll be looking forward to seeing the different Lego models on display. On the other hand, New Century Notions will probably also be open (due to open this week) and it really has something to proof! I loved Town Square Photography (not only because I am a photographer); it has immense quality of theming and it was always one of my favourite shops to visit on a stroll down Main Street U.S.A. The first photos from inside NCN looks quite generic and I am excited to see whether it has something unique to offer merchandise wise as well as theming wise. After all "unique" is part of the full name!

This will be my 16th visit and the 7th since 2010. This has - unsurprisingly - caused colleagues and friends to question exactly what makes go back time and time again. This year I can tell about an all new 150 million euro investment, but to be honest I only see Ratatouille as a bonus! The reason I go back so often is what I already mentioned earlier on. For me going to Disneyland is a way of leaving the everyday world. I might not get much sleep during such four days, but I tell you it is the most relaxing holiday I could imagine. Having been there regularly since I was four years old I have created so many memories that I relive every time I go back. When I go back I think about my family, I think about all the joy this place has given us and I look around and see how much joy it brings to everyone there. In a world like the one we live in today, joy is an emotion we cannot feel enough. With their quality storytelling and theming attractions like Pirates of the Caribbean, Phantom Manor, Big Thunder Mountain and even Twilight Zone: Tower of Terror, visiting Disneyland is also a testimony to the quality and imagination of Walt Disney and his beloved Imagineers. This is entertainment that we are a part of, we are in the middle of it - and we do not sit at home enclosed in front of a little screen. In short, my response to my colleagues and friends is that visiting Disneyland is simply just a joyful thing for me and a thing that I challenge them not to like should they ever visit.

Be sure to follow my live tweets from the heart of the magic by following @dlp-photos.com on Twitter. I'll try to upload as much as possible and I will try to reply to questions/comments at night on the hotel."

So yeah I'll see you all when I return and kick off my trip report! Please feel free to ask questions here, on Twitter or Facebook (send me PM for adding me) :)
/Nicolai

Please visit my DLP website: www.dlp-photos.com

[size=150]Trip report from August 2014[/size]

msRavenswood

A very interesting pre-trip report and I love the title!  ;)

I can totally relate when you say that family and friends don't understand why you keep going back to DLP! But I guess it comes out of their mouth because they have never been there, well at least that's what's going on in my case. One time can never be enough!  ;D

vampira

What a great pre-trip report! I wish you a very nice trip (but I can't even imagine why it wouldn't be! ;) ) and I'll make sure to read and look at your trip report and photo's.  :D
"If you can dream it, you can do it." - Walt Disney"

norhel

Have a great time!
Looking forward to your report.

By the way, have you changed your username?
4 trips to DLP, 3 to WDW, 1 to Disneyland California

gemma2806

I love your trip reports so I'm very excited to see your finished one when you get back.

I too can understand about the family and friends, my family is completely anti-Disney even though they love the films and have never been to the parks. They actually call me stupid and crazy as I keep going back! It's their loss though, it's my no1 holiday destination   :D

DLP-Photos.com

Thanks for the messages :)

Yes, Norhel - I changed the name to match my new website, which was launched today!

Check it out http://www.dlp-photos.com :)
/Nicolai

norhel

Quote from: DLP-Photos.com on August 02, 2014, 12:34:22 AM
Yes, Norhel - I changed the name to match my new website, which was launched today!

Check it out http://www.dlp-photos.com :)

I had a look on your website yesterday, and it's great! Lots of very nice photos!!
4 trips to DLP, 3 to WDW, 1 to Disneyland California

BlackPearl

Looking forward to your trip report. Perhaps I will spot you in the park.  ;D
I'll be visiting from Monday till Thursday with a friend.
Have a nice trip!

DLP-Photos.com

Quote from: BlackPearl on August 03, 2014, 07:47:58 PM
Looking forward to your trip report. Perhaps I will spot you in the park.  ;D
I'll be visiting from Monday till Thursday with a friend.
Have a nice trip!

Cool! Make sure to say hi, if you see us :)
/Nicolai

BlackPearl

vampira

Wow, I have been looking at your website and I love your photo's! I'll have to show them to my husband, who loves to take a lot lot of pictures too! :)
"If you can dream it, you can do it." - Walt Disney"

BlackPearl

DLP-Photos.com

Part 1 - Getting There

So here it is - my trip report. First of all let me warn you already now that this will be a long one and could last a couple of weeks to finish. Today I had my last day at work and tomorrow I will begin my studies to become a teacher. So I'm not fully aware of how much time I will get in the upcoming weeks. Second warning is that this will be very photo filled, but I doubt anyone of you will say anything towards that ;)

Okay, so let's get started!

It was a very early summer morning as my alarm went off with these lovely messages...

Funny how you never have problems getting up when it's for good things, right? I flew out of bed all ready to go on an adventure to first Paris and then Disneyland the following days. Unlike me and Kristians earlier trips we would be flying this time giving us a five hour journey instead of the usual 20+ hours bus journey with EuroLines. So off we went to Aalborg Airport for our 6.25 flight to Amsterdam. Once we got through the clouds...

... It was a beautiful flight to Schiphol airport where we spent a little more than expected due to a delayed flight from Paris, which delayed us with one hour. We touched ground in the Charles de Gaulle just around 12 and quickly found ourselves going for the RER station after picking up our luggage. We were met by an enourmous queue for the ticket office / information desk, which apparently was the only place selling the 24h Paris Visite cards, which we wanted to get. We had the choice of waiting in line for a couple of hours possibly or just pay for the single ride into Gare du Nord and hope for shorter queues there. We chose the latter and boy was that a vice choice! We went straight to Paris and found ourselves in Gare du Nord with no queue at all. It did cost us 9.5 EUR each but the hours we saved made it worthwhile!

After this we went to find our hotel which was to be very close to the Gare du Nord train station - actually I think it was so close that we couldn't believe it. After all we did end up walking a huge detour around the neightbourhood before finally finding ourselves at the entrance to our lovely little hotel: Hotel La Europe! It was cheap and yet we still had a very nice room with own bath and toilet as well as free wifi. For just 79 EUR for the night that was a frigging steel!

Parisian Roof by DLP-Photos by NKA-Photo.com, on Flickr

Parisian Street by DLP-Photos by NKA-Photo.com, on Flickr

Hotel L'Europe by DLP-Photos by NKA-Photo.com, on Flickr

We quickly left the hotel again to go for a traditional kickoff to our day in Paris: lunch in Jardin des Tuileries! This has to be one of my favourite spots on earth. To think that you are moments away from the buzzing Champs Elysees or the tourist filled Musée du Louvre is hard to imagine when you sit down by one of the big fountains and just enjoy the atmosphere, the weather, the people and the silent peace you find here in the middle of this huge city! If you haven't visited yet do yourself the favour and buy a sandwich and take 30-60 minutes in one of the free green chairs by the fountain and just absorb the parisian atmosphere. Then you'd be all ready and set for a day of Parisian magic! At least we always are :-)

Jardin des Tuileries by DLP-Photos by NKA-Photo.com, on Flickr

Though we were little impressed by the girl selling us drinks. She stands in a park which - despite the lovely atmosphere - is filled with tourists and she didn't even understand the English word water :P Then she is in for a loooooong day!

These photos don't really do the gardens justice, so be sure to go their for yourself the next time you are in Paris! and remember afterwards to swing by the Palais Royal and Musée du Louvre - these pyramids are impressive EVERY time!

Musée du Louvre by DLP-Photos by NKA-Photo.com, on Flickr

To be continued...
/Nicolai

DLP-Photos.com

Part 2 - Absorbing Paris

After this classic and traditional start to our day in Paris we took the metro to the area named Le Marais. We had read a lot about this area and thought it would be the perfect place to just loose ourselves in the Parisian atmosphere as we were looking for an afternoon away from the classic, "touristy" Paris! We were so right - what a lovely area! We didn't see anywhere all of it as you are just welcomed by loads of little alleys, small parks and beautiful buildings from the moment you emerge from the St. Paul metro station. No matter where you look there is a new place you want to explore. We had an overall plan that we should end up near Hôtel de Ville but nothing else was planned, so we just went down the first alley we saw and then went from one beautiful little spot to the next being complete absorbed by Paris, losing track of time or place.

Le Marais by DLP-Photos by NKA-Photo.com, on Flickr

Chez Mademoiselle by DLP-Photos by NKA-Photo.com, on Flickr

Inner City Peace by DLP-Photos by NKA-Photo.com, on Flickr

It was amazing and so fascinating! One moment you walk down an alley that you can barely fit through - the next you stumble upon a building like the Hôtel de Sens! What an astounding piece of architecture - it most of all looks like something out of a Disney park or fairytale with it's castle like structure completed with gargoyles, sphires and beautiful towers. Just one of the many beautiful buildings to be found in this area :-)

Hôtel de Sens by DLP-Photos by NKA-Photo.com, on Flickr

It's obvious that this whole area has been an influence for the imagineers designing the Paris of Place de Rémy!

Bench Detail by DLP-Photos by NKA-Photo.com, on Flickr

Next up we found ourselves by the seine and we walked along it for a bit enjoying the sun and the summer atmosphere. After all isn't a walk along the seine almost as good as it gets a warm summer day?

The Seine by DLP-Photos by NKA-Photo.com, on Flickr

Inner City Peace by DLP-Photos by NKA-Photo.com, on Flickr

Metro by DLP-Photos by NKA-Photo.com, on Flickr

And there it was! Place des Vosges - we had visited earlier, and hadn't plan to do so again. But being a major inspiration for Place de Rémy and for the exterior of Ratatouille La Totalement Toquée de Rémy it seemed destined for us to end up here. If Jardin des Tuileries give you peace in the middle of the city then Place des Vosges is like a Parisian heaven. You completely forget that you are in the center of Paris only minutes from the ever so traffic filled Place Bastille. The fountains, the trees, the surrounding buildings - everything just capsules you inside this little bowl of peace and absolute silence. LOVELY! :D

Place des Vosges by DLP-Photos by NKA-Photo.com, on Flickr

We had actually planned to visit the Pere Lachaise also but already now we had to admit that we had lost track of time and decided to just explore this area a little more and in stead leave Pere Lachaise from a later trip giving us the necessary time there. In stead we continued our lovely journey through Le Marais stumbling upon political jews, cute little shop windows and one lovely street after the other. Such a diverse, living and breathing area. The perfect getaway if you want to see the "real" Paris and get away from the worst amounts of tourists!

Yellow Korner Art Shop by DLP-Photos by NKA-Photo.com, on Flickr

Street Art by DLP-Photos by NKA-Photo.com, on Flickr

Kusmi Tea Paris by DLP-Photos by NKA-Photo.com, on Flickr

Under the Leaves of Summer by DLP-Photos by NKA-Photo.com, on Flickr

Painting by DLP-Photos by NKA-Photo.com, on Flickr

And just as planned we ended up at the Hôtel de Ville which would be full of life because of a beach area complete with beach volley and a basket field. Such a contrast to the area that we had just been through, but just as Parisian in many ways. A testimony to the greatness of this magnificent city!

Hôtel de Ville by DLP-Photos by NKA-Photo.com, on Flickr

We ended up walking to Notre Dame and a quick visit to the Latin Quarter. But we really didn't have that much time there to "get lost in the area" as we did in Le Marais. The Latin Quarter though is just as interesting an area and next time I could be very tempted to just go there and see where it takes me!

Notre Dame by DLP-Photos by NKA-Photo.com, on Flickr

City of Love #4 by DLP-Photos by NKA-Photo.com, on Flickr

Under the Roses by DLP-Photos by NKA-Photo.com, on Flickr

Notre Dame by DLP-Photos by NKA-Photo.com, on Flickr

Eglise St-Severin by DLP-Photos by NKA-Photo.com, on Flickr

Parisian Atmosphere by DLP-Photos by NKA-Photo.com, on Flickr

We went back to the hotel to just take a short break and pick up my tripod before a more classic night with Champs Elysées, Eiffel Tower and once again Louvre... This will follow in the next update - of course with loads of night time photos!
/Nicolai

BlackPearl

Wow - what else to say! Fantastic pictures.
I love the one with the 2CV in front of Chez Mademoiselle.
Just listening to the music of Ratatouille, so, fits perfect with your trip report of Paris  ;D
Waiting for the next photos.