What's your best (and worst) restaurant experience.

Started by itslizi, July 15, 2014, 03:24:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

littlebitofpixiedust

Quote from: CitrusZing on January 04, 2015, 05:53:01 PM
Best restaurants: Blue Lagoon and Bistrot Chez Remy.

Worst: Agrabah Cafe - it gave me a dodgy stomach and made me unwell on my birthday. I usually have a strong stomach.
Plaza Gardens made my boyfriend unwell on our last trip.

How unwell was he? It's just I recently ate at the plaza gardens/reastarunt de stars I think it's called and ended up with food poisoning was extremely ill for 8 days all over Christmas. Definatley wouldn't do either again. I'm not sure wich caused it terrible experience :(

Best experience would be inventions :) fantastic setting great character interaction lovely food

Disney Matt

Not long back & i have to say i'm surprised at the hate for Plaza Gardens. Me & my friend loved it. Loads to choose from & it was all hot so no complaints there.

For fast food the best place would be Pizzeria Bella Notte in Fantasyland, cheap & a decent sized pizza for the price.

Loved Annettes, massive portion & all the staff were so friendly.
Hotel Santa Fe - 95 / Dream Castle - Jul 07 / Hotel Cheyenne - Dec 09 / Hotel Santa Fe - Dec 12 / Sequoia Lodge - Dec 14 / Sequoia Lodge - Feb 16 / Newport Bay Club - Halloween 16 / Newport Bay Club - Feb 17

littlebitofpixiedust

Quote from: Mathierson24 on January 04, 2015, 10:31:10 PM
Not long back & i have to say i'm surprised at the hate for Plaza Gardens. Me & my friend loved it. Loads to choose from & it was all hot so no complaints there.

For fast food the best place would be Pizzeria Bella Notte in Fantasyland, cheap & a decent sized pizza for the price.

Loved Annettes, massive portion & all the staff were so friendly.

Glad you had a great time :)
I'll have to try Annette's because so many have said its great there!

I don't hate plaza gardens far from it I actually enjoyed the food and it was hot on my visit also. I'm not sure where I got the food poisoning from but it must of been whilst in Disneyland the doctors said the incubation period for the type I had was 2-5days after eating and it was 3 days after Symptoms started.
It may not have been the food itself being uncooked ect but because they are buffet style it would only take somebody to touch the food with the bacteria on their hands and then someone to injest it to become ill. So I won't blame any reastarunt for that.

Hope you enjoyed all the Christmas celebrations as much as we did :)

daddyof2

We didn't HATE Plaza Gardens, it was just very average as far as we were concerned, and wasn't average price. I'd read a few places how amazing it was, so was a bit disappointed.
Looking forward to trying Annette's when we visit in October though

Disney Matt

I wasn't a member on this forum before I went last month so I went to the places having no expectations.
Was impressed by all as I said.
Hotel Santa Fe - 95 / Dream Castle - Jul 07 / Hotel Cheyenne - Dec 09 / Hotel Santa Fe - Dec 12 / Sequoia Lodge - Dec 14 / Sequoia Lodge - Feb 16 / Newport Bay Club - Halloween 16 / Newport Bay Club - Feb 17

CitrusZing

Quote from: littlebitofpixiedust on January 04, 2015, 09:54:32 PM
How unwell was he? It's just I recently ate at the plaza gardens/reastarunt de stars I think it's called and ended up with food poisoning was extremely ill for 8 days all over Christmas. Definatley wouldn't do either again. I'm not sure wich caused it terrible experience :(

Best experience would be inventions :) fantastic setting great character interaction lovely food

Thankfully he wasn't that bad. More dodgy stomach that food poisoning. The worrying thing was it was on our last day, we were worried that if we couldn't get home that day it would cost us rather a lot of money. Tesco Diarrhoea relief tablets saved the day though!

On a more positive and less yucky note, I can't wait to go to Inventions for dinner on the 11th of January. We paid to eat breakfast in there on one trip, but I've never had dinner in there. If the breakfast was anything to go buy, dinner should be amazing.
DLP: 1992 Summer (Cheyenne).
2012: May (Santa Fe).
2013: Nov (Kyriad).
2014: Jan (Cheyenne), & Halloween (Kyriad).
2015: Jan - Birthday Trip (Disneyland Hotel) & Sept (Sequoia Lodge - Golden Forest).
2016: April (Sequoia Lodge - Golden Forest).
2017: Jan (Santa Fe - 1 night birthday trip), March (Hotel New York - Empire State Club), June (Cheyenne - 1 night trip) & Sept (Santa Fe).
Upcoming:
Sept 2018 (Newport Bay Club - Compass Club).

littlebitofpixiedust

Quote from: CitrusZing on January 06, 2015, 12:35:22 PM
Quote from: littlebitofpixiedust on January 04, 2015, 09:54:32 PM

Thankfully he wasn't that bad. More dodgy stomach that food poisoning. The worrying thing was it was on our last day, we were worried that if we couldn't get home that day it would cost us rather a lot of money. Tesco Diarrhoea relief tablets saved the day though!

On a more positive and less yucky note, I can't wait to go to Inventions for dinner on the 11th of January. We paid to eat breakfast in there on one trip, but I've never had dinner in there. If the breakfast was anything to go buy, dinner should be amazing.

Luckily you went prepared! Not nice at all! I originally thought I had a bug but went doctors as I was quite poorly Christmas day at the hosp and boxing day and got my results. Defiantly going to be a little more cautious from now on.

Inventions breakfast and dinner I couldn't fault the selection is brilliant :) I was lucky enough to stay in the DLH once and I loved it. We actually ate at 2pm on our December visit earliest we've ever ate there but it was fully booked every evening. And it was fantastic at one point our table had the white rabbit, trigger and the penguin from Mary poppins all dancing round together it was so much fun the kids loved it. I recorded it. Make sure you have your camera ready!

Jadzia1971

Worst: Cafe Mickey. I am pretty sure that my daughter got food poisoning there. We had dinner with another family that popped in for the day from Paris (in other words, my kids and her kids spent no time together except for that particular meal, and didn't eat any other meal together that day or the day before). Early the next morning, my youngest daughter woke up at 6am vomiting, and shortly thereafter I got a call from my friend, whose son--the only kid out of the four who had eaten the same thing as my puking little girl--was also throwing up. We followed up with the restaurant and were told to make a report at the DLP first aid station, which I did. But clearly the lady didn't believe me and I'd be shocked if anything happened other than that report being thrown in the garbage as soon as we left.

I can't say that we have had a "best" dining experience at DLP. We actually live in France and the food at DLP and WDS is embarrassingly bad! This is France, home of some of the best food in the world: Disneyland Paris SHOULD have food that is better than any other Disney park anywhere.

But it's not. The last time I was at WDS I took the kids for a quick burger at the "Brown Derby"--and the counter guy accidentally spit on my fries (it was a "say it, don't spray it" situation--yuck!) right in front of me. Ewwww.

The Buzz Lightyear pizza place has pizza that I am pretty sure I recognize from the el cheapo bulk section at Auchan--but served practically cold. You can get higher quality frozen pizza in France at Picard, for approximately 3 euros for an entire frozen pizza. The 15-ish euros at BL is a huge ripoff even by theme park standards!

Even Auberge de Cendrillon--where I realize you are paying primarily for pictures with princesses and OH MY GOD my little girls were ECSTATIC and it was wonderful--has horrifically bad food. Again, the food they served the kids (pasta) is basically what you can get at Auchan or Carrefour in the refrigerated section. Which is fine, I do feed my kids that stuff at home. But not for DLP prices!

I know that I sound like a total grinch who cannot be satisfied, but that's just not true. I understand that at a theme park, restaurants have to turn out a lot of food quickly--it's basically an assembly line. That's kind of unavoidable. But I've visited both Disneyland in Anaheim and Walt Disney World, and the food there is not only less expensive, it is less uniformly terrible. I LOVE Disneyland Paris and my kids think that it is heaven! But if a visitor asks me where to eat when they go there, if they have anything other than a one-day ticket, I would advise them to either go to Planet Hollywood (which is not exactly gourmet, but the quality is head and shoulders above the Disney-owned restaurants) or if they have the time and the inclination, to snack (at most) at DLP and then get on the RER and go elsewhere for dinner.

It really shouldn't be this way. This is France!!!!

rebecca20

Best: Cafe Mickey

Worst: Plaza Gardens

I prefer Cafe Mickey to Auberge and Inventions. Annette's is also a personal favourite but I love a good burger. Chez Remy is good for young children but as adults it closed far too early so we were eating at like 4pm rather than our usual 9pm.
♥ Disneyland Paris 1996, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2011, 2015 ♥ Disney World Florida 2009 ♥ Disneyland California 2008 ♥

Next Visit: DLP March 2016.

mickey1980

I can't help feeling that the burgers they serve in the park are related to the Quick burger fastfood chain restaurants.
If you've ever eten at a Quick you'll probably know what I mean.
Hotel Santa Fe - 1995
Hotel Cheyenne - 1997
Daytrip - 1998
Daytrip - 2000
Hotel Sequoia Lodge - 2002
Hotel Sequoia Lodge - 2005 (Dj Tiƫsto SM:M2 Event)
WDW Port Orleans French Quarter - 2008
Hotel Sequoia Lodge - 2009
Hotel Sequoia Lodge - 2010
Disneyland Hotel - 2011
Hotel Sequoia Lodge - 2012
Hotel Sequoia Lodge - 2013
Hotel Santa Fe - 2014
Tokyo DisneySea - 2015
Hotel Cheyenne - 2016
Hotel Cheyenne - 2017
Hotel New York - 2018

Remco K.

Personally I really like buffet style restaurants like Plaza Gardens and Agrabah Cafe. As opossite to some of the reactions I've read here, I think these buffet style restaurants serve a nice array of food, always in good quality.

As a burger fan, I never skip a trip to DLP without visiting Annette's Diner. Do they sell the best burgers in the world? No, but it's a big step up from most fast food chains and the interior is just great.

I also really liked Walt's Gourmet Burger at Walt's, until I learned they put foie gras on it. Why do they still serve this product?

Last but not least, The Blue Lagoon. When it comes to interior, Blue Lagoon might be a winner, but I surely think that the food is being overhyped. My wife is a fan of steaks, but she didn't think it was that great. I'm more of a burger lover, so my opinion is of non existence here. ;)

rebecca20

I think the reason I disliked Plaza Gardens was because it was crazy busy and that made it unpleasant - I'm never a buffet fan though, its all too cold and I like my food piping hot (I'm known as asbestos mouth as I drink tea and coffee as soon as the kettles boiled).
♥ Disneyland Paris 1996, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2011, 2015 ♥ Disney World Florida 2009 ♥ Disneyland California 2008 ♥

Next Visit: DLP March 2016.

petals

Best restaurant was Cafe Mickey hands down! We had had a week of rugby scrums to see characters so we tried here and while it was expensive and the food wasn't the best in the world the price was totally worth it for the character interaction and the amount of characters we saw.

The worst was Toad Hall. The queues were massive. It was extremely slow and other guests were extremely rude. Like to the point where I asked a lady who looked like she was ready to leave if she was going, she said yes so i stood waiting for her to get her things together and the second she got up another lady sat at the table even though it was very obvious that I was waiting. We ended up walking out and not eating there at all due to the behaviour in the place!

tigger1974

My personal favourites are the pizzeria bella notte and casey's. I have not really had a "bad" meal but on my very first trip in August '98 I visited cafe hyperion in discoveryland - it was very hot and I ended up eating outside and getting attacked by wasps so that was a bit unpleasant but the food was okay although the doughnut which I had as dessert was horrible.
I must say  I have never had any problems at Toad Hall -yes it does get very busy and is quite small (especially if the weather is bad and you can't sit outside) but I have never had any issues with the staff,  maybe I've just got lucky.

TTFN
'05 Santa Fe
'07 Newport Bay
'08 Santa Fe
'09 Disneyland Hotel
'10 Santa Fe
'12 Sequoia Lodge
'13 Santa Fe
'14 New York
'15 Sequoia Lodge
'17 Sequoia Lodge (Golden Forest)
'19 Santa Fe
I also visited in '98, '00, '02 & '03 and stayed offsite

NCC1701Q

I don't really have a "best" experience: I enjoy almost all restaurants. The worst was definitely during our Halloween-stay a week ago when my wife received almost frozen pasta at Colonel Hathi's Pizza Place and upon requesting warm(er) pasta ended up having quite the lengthy argument with the woman at the counter.