Like / Thank button on posts :)

Started by Livvipivvi, May 09, 2014, 05:41:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Livvipivvi

I'm quite a new member, who's taking my family on our first visit to DLP at the end of the month, and this forum has been such a big help in my planning  ;D .  Without members giving their time to read and respond to not only my posts, but others too, there would be no point to the forum.  Members really do make the forum world go round lol.  Thanks to these people, our family holiday will be more special.

Does anyone else think that a "like" or "thank" button would be nice to have on posts?  It would be a nice addition I think, we could acknowledge the comments that members post.  :D

Has Disney blues after our first visit 25/05/14-29/05/14 (Hotel New York). Going back 19/12/14, flights and DLH booked! Yepppyyy!!!!

norhel

Quote from: Livvipivvi on May 09, 2014, 05:41:03 PM

I'm quite a new member, who's taking my family on our first visit to DLP at the end of the month, and this forum has been such a big help in my planning  ;D .  Without members giving their time to read and respond to not only my posts, but others too, there would be no point to the forum.  Members really do make the forum world go round lol.  Thanks to these people, our family holiday will be more special.

Does anyone else think that a "like" or "thank" button would be nice to have on posts?  It would be a nice addition I think, we could acknowledge the comments that members post.  :D

I've actually have had that same thought. It has been sometimes that I've liked a post, but didn't want to comment just for a word or similar.
4 trips to DLP, 3 to WDW, 1 to Disneyland California

Livvipivvi

Quote from: norhel on May 09, 2014, 07:30:17 PM
Quote from: Livvipivvi on May 09, 2014, 05:41:03 PM

I've actually have had that same thought. It has been sometimes that I've liked a post, but didn't want to comment just for a word or similar.

^^^^^ Like hehe!  ;)

My thoughts exactly norhel.  Fingers crossed others will comment and the mods will put it forward for us...nudge, nudge, wink, wink mods  ;)

Has Disney blues after our first visit 25/05/14-29/05/14 (Hotel New York). Going back 19/12/14, flights and DLH booked! Yepppyyy!!!!

msRavenswood

I have had the same thought with you guys, but I don't know if it's easy for this feature to be included without a major redesign of the whole forum. Let's see...

bad-pink-tink

I have made this suggestion before but there was no feed back from the admin :(

Its actually very simple to do, I run my own forum which has the same software as this, and I have installed this feature. It is as simple as going to the SMF modification site, downloading the package and then uploading it to Magicforum. It would take about 10 minutes at the most to install it. This is the link to the modification I have installed on my forum http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=3708
When You Wish Upon A Star Dreams Can Become Reality
♥ ♥ ♥ Disneyworld Florida 1992
♥ ♥ ♥ Disneyland California 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015,2016,2017
♥ ♥ ♥ Disneyland Paris 2011 2013, 2016

Samninetysix

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - Please don't make this forum like bookface - PLEASE!!!!!!!!!! NOOO!!!!

msRavenswood

Quote from: Samninetysix on May 09, 2014, 10:17:24 PM
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - Please don't make this forum like bookface - PLEASE!!!!!!!!!! NOOO!!!!

Lol! I don't think these buttons will make the forum like FB. If not a 'like' button, a 'thank' button would be a great addition for those who find a response useful but don't want to leave a comment.  ;)

Livvipivvi

Quote from: msRavenswood on May 09, 2014, 10:31:43 PM
Quote from: Samninetysix on May 09, 2014, 10:17:24 PM

Lol! I don't think these buttons will make the forum like FB. If not a 'like' button, a 'thank' button would be a great addition for those who find a response useful but don't want to leave a comment.  ;)

Oh no, I wouldn't want the forum to become like FB either.  If we want to use something like FB, then there's a site called FB for that lol.

It would just be nice to have a quick and easy way of acknowledging posts and thanking someone when you have found their entry helpful  :D .

norhel

Just bumping this thread to ask if anyone also is seeing a Facebook like button on the first post on every thread?
4 trips to DLP, 3 to WDW, 1 to Disneyland California

DLRP Roundup!

Yep that was added.

Karma (included by default) can be turned on and it'll let you like a poster for posting valuable info.
The Roundup
News | Forum | Gallery | Waits | Crowd Forecasts

DisneyRon

Quote from: Trekkie101 on August 31, 2014, 03:03:20 PM
Yep that was added.

Karma (included by default) can be turned on and it'll let you like a poster for posting valuable info.

My only objection is that it requires a Facebook login to accomplish.
An internal system, linked to the accounts here would have had my preference.
I don't have a facebook account, and no intention of ever getting one, so I won't be able to partake in this "feature".

Remember, you the user, are the product being sold by facebook, nothing else.

Queen Elsa

I think a like button would be great too! It doesn't mean that the forum would turn into fab, far from it. I'm on a couple of forums where they have a like button, it's a great little addition if you don't want to actually write a response  😊

Anthony

I definitely agree it would be useful to have a "Like" function on posts, to agree with a post or thank someone for information when there's nothing else you have to add. This kind of acknowledgement would hopefully make our best posters feel more valued and make members more likely to post again.

I'll test the built-in Karma feature at some point soon to see if it's suitable (it actually allows you to like and dislike, which seems a little harsh... but can probably be overridden simply by not including that button on posts).