Tell me about the Disneyland Hotel

Started by gingajen, March 24, 2014, 08:59:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gingajen

I have managed to convince my husband to let me book a trip next February half term after he told me in no uncertain terms that our trip this year was 'absolutely the last Disney trip for a loong time'. Yesterday we took advantage of the 2 nights/2 days free offer and booked 5 days at the Disneyland Hotel! I am sooo excited. We have paid £1280 for 2 adults and 2 children which I think is quite a good deal. I am aware though that this is still very expensive for a hotel that. at best, has mixed reviews of TripAdvisor.
For those who have stayed there, I have a few questions...
What is it like to stay here? Is it worth the extra money? What are your likes/dislikes? Have you got any tips about which rooms I could request? Has anyone used the Spa or pool? What are the breakfasts like? Any info or reviews good or bad, would be really appreciated.
Thanks in advance
Jenny

Rapunzel1

We returned from the Disneyland hotel yesterday.

Plus points: location. The Disney chararcters coming down the stairs at 16.00. The swimming pool. Breakfast and the characters at 16.00 were the highlights for our children. No scheduled time for breakfast. Breakfast has everything like eggs, pancakes, cereal, fruit, bread, donuts etc. The disneyland fastpass is very handy.

Negative points: it is no five star hotel. It is very crowded. The lines for the characters at breakfast time were longer than they were last year in the middle of the summer at the Newport Bay hotel. There are a lot of noisy, pushy people around. There is a lot of complaining and being difficult against the staff members. We saw a lady at inventions emptying a whole tray of popsicles on her plate so there were none left for other children.   :o  [size=78%]The hotel itself is lovely. The rooms are quiet, the hallways are nice but the area around the reception and the inventions/california grill/fantasia bar is very busy.[/size]

Every morning there were the same characters. Only 1 or 2 were different. We saw Goofy, mickey mouse, donald duck and pluto time after time again. At breakfast time but also coming down the stairs and at inventions. It would have been nice if they would have changed them a bit.

To be honest. The hotel is lovely. You cannot beat the location. But I was just as happy staying at Newport bay last year.

Best place to sleep at the Disneyland hotel.we liked our location in the east wing. It is close to the swimming pool.

I think that if we go again we will book hotel new york or NewPort bay if the renovations are finished. Or maybe we will save a lot of money and go for the castle club.

littlebitofpixiedust

We've stayed in all on-site hotels and i do agree with the above comment the New York, Newport bay are as nice.
However being that close to the parks is lovely especially with the weather! When it came down hard with rain we whizzed back dried up and went back out again :)

On arrival we asked of they had terraced rooms and to our surprise they gave us one free of charge. Now it seems they're are charging extra on the website, but worth asking it was amazing having a cup of tea before park opening and listening to the music late of an evening. Really was we even heard them rehursing the new scenes of dreams wich was annoying as we had to go home the next day and that's when it was going to be shown to public! This was about midnight they were doing this...lol

Breakfast was lovely and we went back and ate late rather than before magic hours. There's no doubt you'll have a fab time I'm sure! Though it's expensive I don't think you'll regret it :) enjoy!!

amanda08

We have stayed here many times and love this hotel. My head says it's not worth the money but my heart and feet think it is  ;D ;D
We have stayed in most Disney hotels and always have a great time where ever we were. If you can easily afford it I would say go for it, but if it means scrimping and saving to do so I would stay in a different hotel. Breakfasts are great, with a big range of hot and cold food - very yummy.

Please be aware that from 14th november this year there will not longer be character meet and greets in all the Disney hotels apart from Castle Club - I think lots of people are not aware of this and my be very dissapointed to find this out when they arrive  :'(   My son always loved meeting the characters there in the mornings - some morning we saw 6 or 7 just roaming around - it was brilliant! I definately think the removal of the characters takes some of the shine of this hotel :(

minnieme

gingajen/Jenny.....We stayed at Disneyland Hotel last year, after 2 years at the New York, and have just booked Disneyland Hotel again for this year. We loved it sooooo much. My opinion is it is worth the extra money. I cant fault the New York, but I have no complaints about the Disneyland Hotel at all. We went during May half term and it wasnt over busy. The breakfast was fabulous. So much choice. and yummy. The queues for character meets outside breakfast were a bit longer than we would have liked but we were all too happy to notice !! The staff were all really helpful and the room was beautiful. We had a standard room and it was just perfect. We had 2 rooms for my family and my brother. 2 little girls felt like princesses.

Best part for us (apart from the smell, the breakfast, fab room) was the location. To be so close to the park was great, especially at the end of the day when you are ready to head back.

I cant wait to go back. We didn't even have to think about booking this hotel again.

I'm pretty sure you will love it and wont regret it xx

April 2011 & June 2012 Hotel New York
May 2013 Disneyland Hotel
Aug 2014 Disney Magic Med cruise
Aug 2014 Disneyland Hotel
May 2015 Disneyland Hotel

orangarnold

I've been thinking about booking a DLH as a surprise trip for my partners 30th, he wants to go to Florida I'd rather stay closer to home, for the £1k plus it's going to cost to stay at the DLH would I be better off just booking a trip to WDW and staying at the all stars resorts for a week?

Princesshollypop

orangarnold go to WDW it's amazing. DLP is great but not on the same scale as WDW.