1st time visit - 5 days and counting!

Started by Humphrey691, March 23, 2014, 10:28:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Humphrey691

Hi All,

My good lady and I are taking our 2 boys (age 5 and 3) to DLP this week for the 1st time.  I'd really appreciate any advice you can give but specifically can you help with:

VEA
We arrive at CDG terminal 2. I understand the VEA can be tricky to find...  any advice or directions please?

Hotel
We're staying at the Sequoia (Golden Forest) - any advice or recommendations?

Half Board
We haven't booked the half board option yet but have until Wednesday to do so. Having read that cost of food in the park is so expensive, is this a worthwhile option?  Also where are the best buffet style eateries (1 fussy eater in the group).

The Parks
Everything seems so amazing we're struggling to prioritise rides. As it stands, we have the dreams show at the top of the 'not to miss' list. Does anybody have any recommendations for boys of a similar age?

Any advice will be gratefully received - in the meanwhile I'll continue to read this fabulous site.  I just wish I'd found it a few weeks earlier!!!!

Thanks in advance.

Gemma W

Hi Your boys will probably love the Buzz Lightyear ride (my little girl of 4 LOVED it so much we must have been on it 5 times during our stay!) probably a good one to go to during extra magic hours as the queues hopefully wont be very long.

We enjoyed having the meal vouchers as it took the worry about money and where we were going to eat. We tried 2 buffet restaurants- Plaza Gardens and Restaurante Des Stars and enjoyed both.

Have a fab time! x

polar vixen

With boys of similar ages I'd say rides not to miss are peter pan's flight, autopia, (seems boring from an adult point of view but my kids love it), Buzz Lightyear, and the cars race rally in the studios.  Try do do the afternoon parade on your first day, it really gets you into the Disney spirit.  Cars and Stars parade in the studiops is good, too, with lots of opportunities to meet characters.  Don't forget to find the dragon under the castle, and spend some time exploring adventure isle, its loads of fun! 
Food wise, plaza gardens and restaurant des stars are good for fussy eaters.  Depending on how your child(ren) are fussy, avoid agrabah - its lovely food, but spicy and Asian, (not that there's anything wrong with that) but we went and my son ate 5 petit pain.  That was it!

seraphelle

Hi,

VEA
The shuttle is a big red coach and will have Disneyland on it somewhere. We struggled to find it too (but we underestimated how big CDG is and that you have to take little trains in between terminals and baggage and so on). Finally I just asked someone as the kids were exhausted and my eye-sight is terrible and my husband is heavily dyslexic (and excellent combination in a strange foreign place LOL) and a lovely staff member showed us which door to go out through and there it was waiting across the road by a bus stop. If in doubt, just ask someone. You might feel a bit daft but you'll never have to see them again (is my take on things, anyway!)

Hotel
Haven't stayed at Sequioa yet so can't help with this sorry, be interesting to read what you have to say about it when you get back as we're booked there for Hallowe'en  :D

Half Board
We didn't take vouchers last year (we have a veggie daughter) and I was worried we wouldn't be getting the best value depending on where we ate. Turns out we would have been slightly better off as we ate in Inventions a lot (my veggie loves the Mickey potato heads). Have booked half board vouchers for next trip.  :)

The Parks
I agree about Buzz Lightyear and Peter Pan, they will love it. There's Dumbo and the Carousel too, and Alice's Labyrinth (fun for big kids, too, ahem). Thunder Mesa is nice when you get tired and need a bit of a sit down. Not sure how big your 5yr old is so a lot will depend on how tall he is. Mine were 8 and 6 when we went last year and the 6yr old was big enough for Phantom Manor and Big Thunder Mountain, and she's only a dot  :)

Advice would be to get a place early for Dreams and parades, and take comfortable shoes. And socks. I don't really wear trainers or sports shoes but I shall definitely be taking some this time around. Even my old faithful leather boots that are super comfy were killing me after 4 days and I'm quite an active person who does a lot of walking, but 10 hours a day for 5 days hurt my feet.  Now if we've been on our feet a long time we often refer to achey feet as 'Disney feet'.  ;D 

Have a great time  ;D
Disneyland Hotel ~ 3rd - 6th October 2013
Sequoia Lodge ~ 28th October - 1st November 2014
Adagio Val d'Europe ~ 12th - 20th November 2015
Sequoia Lodge ~ 15th - 18th May 2016
Day trip ~ 1st August 2016
HiPark ~ 4th - 6th November 2016
Rive Gauche ~ 17th - 21st February 2017
Adagio Val d'Europe ~ 29th May - 3rd June 2017
Adagio Val d'Europe ~ 23rd - 27th October 2017
Rive Gauche ~ 27th - 30th October 2017
Adagio Val d'Europe ~ 14th - 19th March 2019

bad-pink-tink

VEA INFORMATION

After collecting your bags walk out into the main Terminal 2 concourse and follow the signs for 2 E

Terminal 2 is very confusing but just keep going, following the signs for 2E. You will walk through the main terminal 2 concourse and then take a travalater to 2E.
Once you get to Terminal 2E, You need to then follow signs for 2F. This is where it gets confusing.
The VEA Bus stop is actually in a corridor connecting 2E AND 2F. It can be accessed from either 2E or 2F, which is why people get lost trying to find it.
When You Wish Upon A Star Dreams Can Become Reality
♥ ♥ ♥ Disneyworld Florida 1992
♥ ♥ ♥ Disneyland California 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015,2016,2017
♥ ♥ ♥ Disneyland Paris 2011 2013, 2016

Humphrey691

Thank you so much for taking the time to respond. I feel a lot better prepared now and the whole family is sssssoooooo excited its unbelievable. I'm counting down the minutes until Friday  :D

littlebitofpixiedust

Sequioa lodge is a lovely hotel we've stayed there many times, you probably know you can get shuttle buses to and from the parcs for free from your hotel. But as your a first time visitor I will point out it can get rather busy and a bit of a pain getting of and on! We prefer to walk it doesn't take long at all infact I think it's generally quicker and less stressful that the shuttle buses. It's about 10min walk through Disney village.

Havnt used the meal vouchers ever and that's purely because we prefer our meals in some reastarunts that I don't think are coverd. Our favourite is planet Hollywood in the village, rainforest cafe is good too and there is also a mc ds. We do however eat at cafe mickey or inventions (in Disneyland hotel) at least once per visit. Inventions is a buffet style but with characters, it isn't cheap however but it sure beats queuing for characters when they come to your table. Cafe mickey in the village offers characters breakfast or dinner also it is a lot cheaper but the food isn't buffet and in my opinion inventions is a lot nicer.

If your boys like lightning McQueen like my son try and fit in the stunt show in the studios park. Warning it can be quite loud but my son copes fine with it and he has special needs but he loves all cars especially McQueen. I agree with all the above comments on rides/parades and I hope you all have a fab first time!

Aurora1

It`s almost friday! Have a reat trip! Enjoy it!

Beeing in GFC you can do tea time in the afternoon, at 4pm! They have yummy pastries and sweets. And all drinks a re free! You can even stop by in the evening and take drinks ( non alcohol) to your room.
Breakfast is much more relaxed, no queues or set times for that!

Uragano Tati

April 1998: Sequoia Lodge
January 2003: Disneyland Hotel
May 2012: Santa Fe
September 2013: Cheyenne
November 2014: Cheyenne