Phantom Canyon: It's a Ghoul Town!

Started by Ezra, January 06, 2013, 06:57:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ezra

Yes, well... Cast Members nicknamed him Ezra... because he looks similar to the Hitchhiker Ezra in the Haunted Mansion. So most folks call him Ezra... hence the username; he's my favourite character from the ride.

That lonely Manor on the hill, sorrowful song drifting...

DisneyManiac

Oh now I get it, never been on the Haunted Mansion!

Japperboy

Than i wonder if the phantom is a ghoul or a ghost? Is the phantom the ghost of Henry Ravenswood who
came to haunt his own daughter melany or is he also a ghoul who wanders the phantom canyon?
All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them. Walt Disney

Ezra

I've been on the Haunted Mansion at WDW, but it was a long time ago now. But I like to research the Mansion rides so have quite a bit of knowledge on them at least.

And as for the Phantom... well, its hard to say. I consider him a cross between a ghost and a ghoul... but as for who he actually is... its unknown. The main theories are either he is the ghost/ghoul of Henry Ravenswood, or is actually just a Phantom who in love with Melanie (which would make it more like Phantom of the Opera).

DisneyManiac

If the Phantom loves Melanie, then why would he laugh at her in sorrow? ???

Ezra

Because he's succeeded in getting rid of her groom and keeping her there forever I guess? Same would actually apply if it was Henry too. The Phantom isn't very nice anyhow... that we can gather quite easily. lol

Japperboy

Tony Baxter had his own version of the story of phantom manor. He stated it was not an official story, but his own version of the story. He explains that in his story the bride is waiting for her groom. She waits and waits, until it's too late en she dies of sorrow. Than her groom finally shows up when it's too late, they both are dead.  at the end she waves goodbye and throws the flowers. So the phantom can be the groom itself. maybe he is laughing out of happiness at the end :D  :P
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nk-8dXBLD8U
All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them. Walt Disney

Ezra

Yeah I heard of that too, but I think that's just more what he wants the story to be. Officially I'm pretty sure the Phantom isn't exactly friendly. lol

Ezra

Okay just wanted to elaborate on another theory of mine concerning the Manor; I tend to think that most of the ghosts inside the Manor are a residual haunting... in other words like a tape being played over and over again... an echo of the past. This includes Melanie, as we see her story... what happened to her... because now she is actually the skeletal ghoul seen in the catacombs and cellar scene. The only exceptions to this would be Madame Leota and possibly the Organist... he does look up at the riders, suggesting he is a intelligent haunting.

But all the ghosts seen outside the Manor (the poker players and the spirits flying about... possibly the ghost train too, after all we do hear a train) is an intelligent haunting. They know you're there. Again, just another theory, by all means, do say if you have a different theory.

Only problem is Melanie making an appearance before you leave the cellar (off-ride), but to be honest... does it really sound like what Melanie would say? I do wonder if that's even her... after all she just helped you escape! Perhaps a trick by the Phantom or Madame Leota... or perhaps just added to be similar to the Mansion.

DisneyManiac

Just a question, Thunder Mesa we visit today, is it meant to be a ghost town, abandoned, or not?

Ezra

Quote from: DisneyManiac on March 03, 2014, 06:44:29 PM
Just a question, Thunder Mesa we visit today, is it meant to be a ghost town, abandoned, or not?

Nope, its meant to be the actual town of Thunder Mesa in the Old West, but at a point after the Manor is 'abandoned'. I don't think the locals like to go to the Manor, so that's why it looks so dilapidated compared to the rest of the town.