Upgrading at Sequoia Lodge?

Started by fixerupper, January 22, 2014, 11:30:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fixerupper

Hi,
We are booked to stay in a standard room at Sequoia Lodge but wanted to look at upgrading to a golden forest room. Phoned Disney up today and was told it was possible, however we would loose the free half board passes we received as part of the offer at the time of booking.
They mentioned we could speak to the hotel on arrival and see if they could do anything regarding upgrade.
My question is - has anyone had something similar and has anyone managed to upgrade on arrival?
Thanks in advance!
:)

BoristheSpider

Hi, just out of interest how much is the price jump roughly? I am staying in a standard room so just wondered if it's worth it x

SVioletS

Try to call back again. I've read that sometimes it the depends on the person on the other sido of the phone. I would love to upgrade to GF, but i wouldn't want to loose the free vouchers...

First time ever: August 2000, one day visit!
August 2010, NewPort Bay, 5 days
October 2012, Sequoia Lodge, 5 days
April 2014, Sequoia Lodge, 6 days - Big 7th Bday Surprise for DD#1 :)
September 2015, Newport Bay 6 days - Another surprise!!!

fixerupper

They quoted me about £98 to upgrade which would be great - however I would loose our half board vouchers which isn't so great! I'm sure the standard rooms are great, but was going to treat myself if the pricing wasn't too bad!
Will give them a call again and see if there is any way round it!

BoristheSpider

Did they say why you would lose the vouchers?
If you had originally booked GF would you have still gotten them? If so maybe mention that when you call back x

bad-pink-tink

Hey everyone, just a thought. It might be a good idea to read this https://forum.dlpguide.com/index.php?topic=16525.0 before you change your booking from Standard to GFC at Sequoia Lodge.  Its a review of both the standard rooms and GFC. Those who have stayed in GFC have said that the rooms are exactly the same as standard but you get the use of a private lounge for meals, which has characters for breakfast.

When You Wish Upon A Star Dreams Can Become Reality
♥ ♥ ♥ Disneyworld Florida 1992
♥ ♥ ♥ Disneyland California 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015,2016,2017
♥ ♥ ♥ Disneyland Paris 2011 2013, 2016

BoristheSpider

Quote from: bad-pink-tink on January 23, 2014, 11:48:30 AM
Hey everyone, just a thought. It might be a good idea to read this https://forum.dlpguide.com/index.php?topic=16525.0 before you change your booking from Standard to GFC at Sequoia Lodge.  Its a review of both the standard rooms and GFC. Those who have stayed in GFC have said that the rooms are exactly the same as standard but you get the use of a private lounge for meals, which has characters for breakfast.

Thanks x

justlikeidreamedit

We paid £88 extra to stay in a GFC room for 4 nights in December. To us it was worth every penny. We had a private cubicle for check in, there were soft Mickey toys on the beds for the children which were 19Euros to buy new. My little girl was thrilled as she was going to ask Santa for a Mickey because she only had Minnie toys! Yes the room was the same as a standard room in the hotel, with the addition of a Nespresso machine and kettle etc. Oh and the chocolate coins on the bed every night! For us the Golden Forest Lounge was worth its weight in gold. There was no crowd at breakfast and the characters spent ages with us. We had Mickey and Eeyore sat at the table feeding the children's breakfast one day. There was no rush at all and those moments created memories the children will never forget. After a day in the park we would return to the lounge for pastries and a hot chocolate or coffee in the afternoon. Knowing you could have as much to eat and drink as you want made it taste even better as we would have normally done this and had to pay for it in the park. We loved it so much we have booked again for this December.
I know this won't help you in the decision as to whether to give up the half board option, but just thought I'd let you know what the GFC offers.

gemma2806

Completely agree with above! We originally booked a Montana Lake View room but due to an error on Disney's part we got a free upgrade to a Golden Forest Lake View room. The room essentially was the same except you got a Nespresso machine, free Mickey Toy, free Mickey Balloon (these 2 items in total saved us €26!), chocolate coins every day, a bell hop who takes your luggage to your room and also back to the check-in area when you check out.

Apart from these extras the rooms are the same but the overall Golden Forest Club is FANTASTIC. You get a Hotel FP per person for every night of your stay. You get a private check-in area with free chocolate coins and sweets. The breakfast room means you can head down whenever you want without a wait. There are multiple characters who spend quality time interacting with you and your children. The lounge area is beautiful and you get complimentary drinks from 11am, you can stock up and take these with you to the parks and your hotel room and you can have as many as you want! This saves a small fortune in drinks in the theme parks. At 4pm till 6pm there is a pastry buffet which is lovely and if you eat late this makes a free snack to tide you over.

I have stayed at this hotel several times but only once in the GFC but the experience has won me over completely! Anytime I stay at the Sequoia from now on I will ONLY stay in the GFC!

glgittens85

Please can I ask who you called regarding the upgrade? Was it the hotel direct or central reservations?

Also did you book your trip with them direct initially?

gemma2806

No I booked the whole trip through Thomas Cook (just in case anything goes wrong so that I have an actual person I can speak to face to face!)

When I booked they called Disney to try and book a Golden Forest Lake View but the reservations team advised these rooms weren't available to book and so they could only offer a Montana Lake View Room. So we booked this only to find about 3 weeks later you could book a Golden Forest Lake View room for about £500 cheaper! Thomas Cook got in touch with Disney, secured us the discount and got us into the GFC.

fixerupper

We booked ours with Disney directly (online) for a standard room and got a % discount (can't remember exact amount) and free half board vouchers as that was the promotion they were running at the time.

Might just have to ask on arrival about upgrading as I do really like the sound of breakfast not being so manic - plus would make it extra special for my two wee ones!

SVioletS

We have a standard room booked for April - we booked under the 4 nights for 2 offer back in September and got a really good price. Now i'm waitin to see what February brings (hoping for a free meal deal kind of thing!) because i would like to:

- upgrade to have an extra night and/or upgrade for GF or Montana - with free meals, i could upgrade and pay for the difference as it wouldn't be such a big difference!!

Right now i can't really justify the price difference to upgrade to GF and not sure if it's worth to upgrade for a Montana room.

Last time we had a standard room booked and when we checked in, got a free upgrade to a Montana Lake view (1st/2nd floor) for free. I really liked not having to walk long distances inside the hotel, as we had previously been in NPB, and we had a 5/10 min walk just to get to our room...

First time ever: August 2000, one day visit!
August 2010, NewPort Bay, 5 days
October 2012, Sequoia Lodge, 5 days
April 2014, Sequoia Lodge, 6 days - Big 7th Bday Surprise for DD#1 :)
September 2015, Newport Bay 6 days - Another surprise!!!