Newport Bay Refurb

Started by seony141010, January 19, 2014, 09:44:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seony141010

Hi
I am really sorry if this is answered somewhere.

We are staying at the Newport Bay later in the year, when do the refurbishments start and finish?

Thanks
Believe in the magic
Em xx

DLRP Roundup!

They're well under way and will end early next year, the south wing is partially done, the first set of guests will probably start seeing the rooms early summer.
The Roundup
News | Forum | Gallery | Waits | Crowd Forecasts

minniemaisie2034

I received a call (we booked three weeks ago) stating the refurbishment will be complete by october as its been extended. the pools and restaurants are being done.

The call was asking if we wanted to change our hotel- cant decide what to do.

Miniminnie

We have booked Newport Bay for Halloween week - we are aware of refurb and hope it will be finished by then? Just out of curiosity as we've not had a phone call - what alternative hotels did they offer?

seony141010

Hi all
We are due to arrive on December the first so I'm hoping it's all shiny and new by then.
Believe in the magic
Em xx

DLRP Roundup!

Unlikely fully complete, however they're very discreet, you won't know it's happening outside any planned facilities closures. Restaurants and pools will be back fairly quick.
The Roundup
News | Forum | Gallery | Waits | Crowd Forecasts

seony141010

I called the travel company we have booked with (world travelers  and they said that Disney are hoping to have most of the Newport Bay renovations done by April however some family rooms and one of the restaurants will take longer along with the pool which is closed till October. Any other renovations will be concealed from guests she said as we are going in December. Like Trekkie says they will be very discreet.
Believe in the magic
Em xx

Miniminnie

Brilliant...thanks for responses, can't wait to go! 8 months, 3 weeks and counting  :)

Mileto

Does anybody have new information about how is refurbishment in Newport Bay going?
Does it look nice, is the breakfast area ready? Any fotos?
I'm curious.  :D

08.1993 - DL Tokyo; 05.2010 - DLP; 11.2010 - DLP; 09.2013 - DLP; 09.2014 - DLP; 11.2015 - DLP
It's a small world after all

LotsoHugginBear

The breakfast area isn't ready by now - a friend of mine stayed at NPC last week and had breakfast at the convention center. Works are still going on.
At the convention center there is an buffet restaurant as well but no table service restaurant until october / november.Works are still going on. Can't imagine that they really should ended in april? Until now I havent heard of anyone staying in one of the new rooms.

Adam

I believe the works are going to be featured on Watchdog this week.

Lucylouby

Definitely not finished yet.  There's still scaffolding up so work is obviously still going on.  I'm so glad we changed our booking and have stayed in a different hotel this week. 

Adam

Anthony has put up an article on DLRP Magic in reference to the Watchdog report: http://www.dlrpmagic.com/blog/2014/05/bbc-watchdog-not-happy-with-disneys-newport-bay-club-renovation/

I agree with everything that Anthony has written - a bit of poor journalism here from Watchdog. The travel agent got no blame and the overrun was non existent according to Anthony, so it was a non-story. Whilst not the most inspiring place to eat, the Convention Centre is open and if you are booking a holiday to Disney just on the pool and gym, I think you are missing the point!

In my experience, whenever anything is closed in one hotel, you could always visit another hotel and use their facilities. I thought the story was going to be about views and scaffolding, but no mention of this.

£1700 is a lot to pay for a pool...

gemma2806

Couldn't agree with you more Adam! I watched the programme and felt rather angry on behalf of DLP. They have made no secret of the refurbishments going on and even though I'm not holidaying at the NPB I have been fully aware of the ongoing updates and refurbishments. It's the travel agent that should have said because they will definitely have been informed. It seems anyone and everyone is trying to besmirch (good word!) the name of DLP when actually for frequent visitors you couldn't ask for a better home away from home  :D

Helene

Hi, will all the refurbs be finished in 2014? Am thinking of booking early for summer 2015 and am wondering when they will start the 2nd phase...........? :-\