Snacks and drinks....

Started by michellemumof2xx, October 28, 2013, 06:49:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

michellemumof2xx

Hi,
    I'm trying to get some advice for our holiday to disneyland paris  in february. I know it's still a fair few months away but it's been bugging me...

We're due to fly from Manchester airport, as a family of 4, with 20kg of hold luggage each for 4 nights/5 days. We're thinking of taking 2 suitcases and a large bag, approx 60kg + hand luggage, as we plan on bringing lots of things home, and also taking food and drink with us for in our room at night and for out and about in the day.

There will be no food or drink in our hand luggage, but i can't seem to find any restrictions on hold luggage. I am hoping to bring fruit shoot, capri sun type drinks, is this allowed? Will they pop in transit? I haven't flown since 2009, and we went all inclusive to turkey, so didn't need anything like this and I can't remember what's allowed, and what may survive the pressure on board!

I've looked at Manchester airport, and flybe, but can't find anything, and on google, it's all just hand luggage!

We have half board premium tickets, and staying in HNY, so don't need to take things,  but just thought it would be nice to have some basic drinks for the kids in the evening and in the park?

Has anyone done similar? What do you recommend to take as drinks and snacks for your room/daytime.

Any advice is appreciated,

Michelle
First trip ever HNY 15th Feb 2014
Second trip to HNY 17th Feb 2015!!!

orangarnold

Honestly, don't waste your luggage allowance, just get the RER to Val d'Europe and go to the Auchan. Plus you can get the kids to try all the different Haribos and such

michellemumof2xx

Hi, thanks for your reply.. how far away is this from hotel new york? Can we walk? Thanks

gemma2806

I did this last year as my son doesn't like fizzy pop and only likes 2 types of squash (fussy I know!) so we took two small bottles of Asda double concentrate (more for your money!) and put these in the suitcases. I wrapped them in carrier bags just to be sure but they were a god send as they were all he would drink whilst away. We also took a small flask so we could make up his drinks everyday using the water in the hotel room or at the water fountains in the parks.

They survived the trip and just managed to last for our 13 day trip. At the end of the day you are never going to take all your luggage allowance when you go as you want some space for souvenirs so you'll definitely have room for them and then you just dispose of the bottles before you return. You'll save a lot of money in the long run  :)

michellemumof2xx

Hi,
    that's a great idea!

My 2 little ones don't drink anything fizzy either, so i just thought of capri suns etc, but this is good too!!
Thanks for your help,

Michelle

captain rocket

You have no reason to worry about any drinks "popping" the luggage hold of aircraft are not pressurised so there would not be any pressure build up!

michellemumof2xx

Thanks captain rocket! I wasn't sure : )

orangarnold

Quote from: michellemumof2xx on October 28, 2013, 07:14:48 PM
Hi, thanks for your reply.. how far away is this from hotel new york? Can we walk? Thanks

You'd need to get the RER then its a five minute walk to the shopping centre where it is, just walk straight on through the doors and follow your nose to the smell of cheese

emsamess

Any bottle or container that you place into the hold must have expansion room as the temperature can reach sub-zero and there is a good chance that it will freeze.

We flew over last year and stayed at the Davy Crockett. We took a holdall type cool bag that we secure its zips with cable ties. Well you don't want anyone tampering with your food!!! We had frozen everything before we travelled (the night before the flight) and it was just starting to thaw. We took a bottle of squash with us, again pre-frozen, but made sure that it was not a totally full bottle. Everything was frozen solid when we collected it from baggage re-claim. 

michellemumof2xx

What a great idea, I think I will take a cooler bag with drinks frozen, and pop it inside the large bag we are taking.
Thank you for your help, Michelle.