Driving or Eurostar ?

Started by sarahmumof4, May 27, 2013, 11:04:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sarahmumof4

Have booked for feb 1/2 term and going with friends who are driving .

Have never driven abroad but will be following my friends .

Just wondered what people who have driven think of the drive .

Can't decide if I should, drive or go on the Eurostar ?
First visit - Santa Fe , March 2011

Adagio , Feb 2013

Santa Fe , Feb 2014

Fourth visit - Sequoia Lodge , Golden Forest rooms  December 2015 🎄

gemmasteele84

Ive never driven but I love the Eurostar. IMO the holiday starts as soon as we get on board. The staff can never do enough for us and with Disney Express we can just drop our cases off and go right to the park if we want. It does take away a bit of freedom if we wanted to go into Paris or the other shopping areas but tbh I wouldnt do that anyway lol.

capitalbarbie

Hi

We are driving when we go in 10 days (easier for us as we take a load of stuff with us).  We are overnighting in Dover the night before (Travelodge £22.00 a night), 8 AM ferry then straight drive from Dunkirk to DLP (ferry was £47).  We have been previously and driven, tbh its no different than driving down south (we are Midlands so its a long drive!).   Plus when I have priced it up, the cost of transport to Eurostar terminal and overnight parking is just too much, even taking into account diesel costs.

We are going into Paris for the day but will get the metro as the centre of Paris crazy to drive round, so I personally don't think not driving takes the freedom away.

Either way, just weigh up the pros and cons and do what's best for you personally.
WDW Florida 1997
WDW Florida 1998
DLP Hotel Cheyenne 1999
WDW Florida 2006
WDW Florida 2009
DLP Hotel Cheyenne 2013

sarahmumof4

Thank you both .

We've done Eurostar both times so far . It's easy to get to , we do the park my car scheme where people rent out their driveways . The place we use is 5 minutes walk to the Eurostar

I do love that the excitement starts as we get on the Eurostar and if we get the cheaper seats the price is really reasonable .

But I'm going with friends who are driving so can follow them (  I would be on my own with my 4 ).

Can I ask which travel lodge you are staying at ? I looked at the premier inn which is right at the entrance to Dover port but its £51 .
We will get the 6 am ferry to Calais x
First visit - Santa Fe , March 2011

Adagio , Feb 2013

Santa Fe , Feb 2014

Fourth visit - Sequoia Lodge , Golden Forest rooms  December 2015 🎄

tubbsy

We have driven every time. We were living in Germany the first two times- we stayed in ETAPs an hour away from Disney those times.

The third time we were back living in the UK and we travelled over to Disney during the day-we stopped in the Holiday inn in Marne Le valee and had dinner in Cafe Mickey :) The next day we were then in Sequioa and the holiday began.
Fourth time we stopped in a Holiday Inn express, about an hour from Dover .... But I dont think it was a ny cheaper being further out.

We now live near Portsmouth so last time we travelled over night on the ferry :) And we are doing it again this time :)

Sam
October 2001-Santa Fe
June 2002-New York
August 2006-Sequoia
October 2007-Sequoia
August 2010- Newport Bay Admiral Floor
August 2013- Newport Bay Admirals Floor
August 2014 - WDW! Art of Animation Resort
August 2017- Newport Bay Compass Club

capitalbarbie

Quote from: sarahmumof4Thank you both .

We've done Eurostar both times so far . It's easy to get to , we do the park my car scheme where people rent out their driveways . The place we use is 5 minutes walk to the Eurostar

I do love that the excitement starts as we get on the Eurostar and if we get the cheaper seats the price is really reasonable .

But I'm going with friends who are driving so can follow them (  I would be on my own with my 4 ).

Can I ask which travel lodge you are staying at ?

Hi

We are staying in Ashford Travelodge which is on Eureka Leisure Park, so plenty to do in the eve before :) and about 20 mins away from the port.

Book early, it's a lot cheaper

Xx
WDW Florida 1997
WDW Florida 1998
DLP Hotel Cheyenne 1999
WDW Florida 2006
WDW Florida 2009
DLP Hotel Cheyenne 2013

nettle72

Hi
We drove from the north of England to DLP last August (mainly because I don't like flying). Having never driven abroad before I was a bit apprehensive but, there was absolutely no problems at all. We set off early in the morning, getting to Dover in the mid afternoon. On arrival in France it is very easy to drive on the opposite side of the road, just follow everybody else when getting off the ferry. Pretty soon you become used to driving on the right hand side. There is a toll booth soon after leaving Calais where you collect a ticket, which you pay the fee for near to Charles De Gaulle airport, about 30-45 mins from DLP. The french roads are great with regular stopping off points, some just with toilets and rest areas, others the full blown motorway services. Virtually the whole journey is on motorway type roads which are better than their English equivalents. It takes about 2 1/2-3 hours to drive from Calais to DLRP and cost us about 22 euros, each way, in toll fees.

DLP Dream Castle 2005
DLP Dream Castle 2010
DLP Magic Circus 2012

julesk

We have just got back after driving from La Harve and it was ideal. Did EuroStar last year and wouldnt do it again. Driven 4 times and never had a problem. Stick to the toll roads, there so quiet your be shocked. They take euro notes and give change or you can pay by card. There are plenty of stops and picnic areas on route. Driving allowed us to take double the luggage to suit every type of weather we faced from thunder and lightening to hot. Plus you can shop without worrying about suitcase space.  :D

DisneyManiac

We drive mostly but have taken Eurostar. Time-Wise: Eurostar, Atmosphere-Wise: Driving, when you drive you can see the sign for the park on the motorway! So there! The decision is yours.

minnieme

We drove from the North West the past 2 years. First year we stayed overnight at Dover, but this year we stayed in Calais. Left home at 8am and got a ferry at 440pm. This was much easier as we just got up in the morning and set off to DIsneyland. 3 hour drive. So straightforward.

April 2011 & June 2012 Hotel New York
May 2013 Disneyland Hotel
Aug 2014 Disney Magic Med cruise
Aug 2014 Disneyland Hotel
May 2015 Disneyland Hotel

Zee79

We have driven the past 4 years to DLP from the North East. The last two times we have used Eurotunnel as cheaper than a ferry, 35 mins and come out in Calais. 3 hours and you are in Disney! We had a very bad experience Xmas 2011, the storms hit both Dunkirk and Dover, a 2 hour crossing to over 3 1/2 hours and 3 hours of that spent in the toilets. It was horrendous, a force 10 crossing. We were over the moon when the tunnel was reasonably priced.

We've stayed in quite a few travelodges - wouldn't really recommend the one in Thurrock services. We stayed in the Holiday Inn Express near Folkestone May this year and it was lovely, breakfast included. If an early train they give you a packed breakfast to take with you if you let them know. Only 7 minutes from the tunnel.

The only issue i have driving in France is going round the round abouts the 'wrong way' haha.

We are thinking about Eurostar when we go next time but prices at the mo is not worth it when we would still have to travel down the day before.

How many days are you going for? because the tunnel does 5 day deals, works out cheaper.

Yorkieal

Does anyone know how far in advance I can book Eurostar tickets? And is it a case of the earlier you book the cheaper?