Trip Report May26th-30th 2013- Sequoia Lodge

Started by Zee79, June 03, 2013, 06:56:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zee79

Hi! I have just returned from a 4 night 5 day stay at DLP in the Sequoia Lodge. Things unfortunately didn't go to plan for myself -developed glandular fever whilst I was there  :cry: but I tried my hardest not to let it spoil the trip. I have been to DLP many times before but this is the first trip report I have written so here goes  :)

Party
Group of 13- 7 adults, 4 children (6, 6, 10 ,10) and 2 toddlers (aged 2)- only the toddlers are twins I might add. Staying at the Sequoia Lodge for 4 nights/5 days, the first time for my family and my parents, the others in the group have previously stayed here.
We also had a stow away. My youngest had received 'Star of the Week' and therefore got to bring the class mascot 'Gerry' home, so of course she was bringing him to Disney- pictures had to be taken so  she could write all about his trip in the book when we returned home.

Saturday 25th May
Trip started 25th May leaving the North East at 10:20 am in 2 cars. We like the self drive option because it gives us more freedom and works out cheaper when a lot of us are going. We made our way down to Folkestone, stopping off at our usual haunt -Peterborough Services for a spot of lunch and some peace from the noise, sorry excitement  :) , from the two children in this car and the 3 in the other car- two members of the group were travelling on Sunday via Eurostar. We arrived at Folkestone 5pm where we stayed the night in the Holiday Inn Express.
It was the first time staying in this hotel. Staff were really helpful and couldn't do enough for you. Because of the size of our party we had to book in for our evening which was at 7pm- not too bad. Rooms were basic but very clean. The bathroom was a novelty for my two, being able to lock the toilet off from the rest if it haha. I found the mattress and pillows a little to firm for my liking but if this is what you like then you can't complain- I would just take my own pillow next time. Food was lovely but some adult portions were on the small side so side options would be a must for the bigger eater.
Would we recommend this hotel?- Yes definitely.

Sunday 26th May
We were all up 6am for breakfast before catching the 8:20am Eurotunnel train. Today is were it started to go wrong for me  :( my throat was sore and I started to feel a little nausea coming on. I was glad Tesco was near the hotel so I could buy some throat lozenges and more paracetamols.  We arrived in France  20 minutes earlier than planned and drove the 3 hours to DLP (Disney dvds and music all the way  :D ) arriving at the Sequoia Lodge at 12:30pm. At this point myself and my eldest were experiencing a lot of emotions (nervousness, apprehension, excitement) with this being the first time staying here. Was it going to live up to our expectations? Were the rooms going to be nice? Was I going to get a good night sleep?  I was comparing this to the Santa Fe where I sleep like a baby every time we stay here  :) We unloaded the cars and made our way to Reception.
Upon arrival at reception we found the hotel to be large and impressive. Staff upon check in were very friendly and helpful even offering us breakfast in the park for 3 of the days we were staying- we only chose one day though. They even managed to change my friend's room to be in the same building as us- despite a previous phone call and email requesting this in the first place but I let this slide. My brother who had booked a Lakeside Montana room was given a free upgrade to the Golden Forest Club. We were staying in the Yosemite Lodge and were very pleased with the room- the silence was golden!
Whilst we waited for our Friend's luggage to arrive we had a few drinks in the Redwood bar- pricey but what do you expect it is Disney. A bit disappointed in the amount of hot chocolate I got in my cup though- half measure. You also cannot use you Dream pass in the bar.
Once the luggage had arrived we went swimming. Kids loved it! They claimed the pool to be 28 deg- yeah right. We managed about a hour in the pool and then started to feel the cold. We found it to be a powerful pool, so powerful that as my eldest was swimming (now bear in mind she is a competing swimming for a club so powerful herself) it knocked her wobbly tooth out! she was over the moon  :D Also the slide is very fast so if you have younger children I would recommend they take a float down with them and someone waits close to the bottom of the slide.

We booked a table in the Hunter's Grill at 3:30pm but couldn't get a reservation until 9:15pm! Whilst we waited for the table we took a 'slow' walk to the NPB and HNY to have a look around. I must say by this time I was in agony and just wanted to go to bed  :(   The food in the Hunter's Grill was nice but we would say no different to that of the Santa Fe in quality yet its 3euro p/p more expensive plus no drink is included ( I ate very little here unfortunately no fault of the Grill).

Monday 27th May
Woke up early this morning as we had the 7:15am timeslot for breakfast due to the EMH being on offer at WDS for the first time in all the years we have being going. Upon arrival at breakfast the first thing we noticed was the allocation of seats, not the ability to choose for yourself. This is a good thing for those who are big parties often having to be split up because a couple has taken a bigger table. On the other hand it proved a bit awkward because the staff did not seem to like us to ask for a large table when only a few of us because some of the party were running a little late. We ended up being split up for the holiday in breakfast. A nice variety of continental foods- all I enjoyed was the hot milk and apple juice-  I was at least getting something down. ;)

As soon as breakfast was over we headed straight to WDS. Crush was of course the first point of call and by 8:15 already had a 30 minute wait. It broke down twice whilst they were waiting. The parachutes were already up to 50 mins wait time! TOT was the next port of call because one member of the party had never been on it- 4 times in one day haha
Not many characters were out but we did manage to get a picture with Mulan- our first. She was lovely. She chose the children she wanted and it went on how long you had been stood there for. It was such an orderly photo point.
This evening we had a meal in Plant Hollywood- again our first time in here. Even though I still felt really rough I managed to order a pasta and eat some of it and it was nice. The majority of the group agreed that this restaurant was a much better option for choice of food available but think the theming in the Rainforest Cafe is better for younger children.
After the meal which was about 8:15pm we all headed back to the hotel for some drinks in the bar- I was soooo glad. I am a little upset now because due to medication I have recently been put on I can no longer drink alcohol  :(  although it doesn't really bother me  in a way I did like the occasional one and I really, really, really wanted to try one of the cocktails- you can guess probably which one haha. Instead I had an alcohol free cocktail "Fireworks" costing 11.99, it was nice and plus I got a light up 'Hook' clip for my glass  :D/

Weather today was fantastic! Even got sun burned despite the lotion on.

Tuesday 28th May
We had a little bit of a sleep in this morning because we had breakfast in the DLP at 8:45am- Chalet de Marrionette. It was very busy but nice. Weather today was horrible, we got drenched! I'm so glad we had ponchos from the summer. It rained until about 3pm.We weren't complaining to much because this meant DLP was quiet! the longest queue we had was for buzz and that was no more than 30 minutes. We managed to get all the big attractions done in one day!!!!! No moaning children having to stand in line and wait what a bonus haha.

For the first time in all the years of visiting DLP we went to see BBWWS show. We had paid for the 6:30pm show using the French ticket site so many have mentioned on this forum, saving £100 for a family of 4- thank you! We arrived at 5:20pm and there was already a long queue so I'm glad I followed the advise of getting there a hour early. We were in the blue corner. We were impressed with the show for what you got with the cost. You could not complain about the food and the unlimited drinks once seated. We had a lovely time but would not see it again unless they changed the show but I would recommended people seeing it at least one so they can make up their own minds. After the show we headed back in to the park for 'Dreams!'. By this time it was sunny! Well what can I say- astounding as usual  =D>

Wednesday 29th May
Today we spent the day in DLP again, weather was dull but warm. Again the park seemed quieter than normal so short queues- if it's like this in May half term all the time we will def becoming back at this time of year. We did Casey Junior and The storybook this morning and spent the afternoon shopping. We even managed to 'lose' 2 of the children and my hubby in fantasy and Adventure Land whilst we shopped haha. We stayed in the park to watch the parade which was enjoyable as last year and then 8 of us headed of to the hotel Santa Fe where we had a table booked. The other 5 went to the Rainforest Cafe- the queues were unbelievable! It was the first time my friends had been to this hotel and found the food lovely and the atmosphere calming and relaxing.

Thursday 30th May
Last day today  :cry: Weather horrendous!!!! Torrential rain! But it did not put us off. We had an early breakfast and checked out of the Sequoia Lodge and made our way to WDS- TOT and the Parachutes were the order of the morning. We headed to the Blockbuster Cafe for lunch and it was shut! A lot of people were looking put out by this including us. We eventually went to eat in Restaurant En Coulisse. We were very surprised because we thought this place would be packed and well it wasn't. I did not enjoy my meal here it was cold, they said it was because we had to wait for some other food  :? .
After lunch we went back into DLP for the children to go on the rides with hubby and the rest of us to do final bit of shopping. We left DLP at 3:50pm boo hoo! to head back to Calais to catch the 8:50pm train  back to Folkestone. We arrived back in the UK at 8:15pm and headed to the Travelodge at Thurrock where we spent the night. The satnav does not recognise the post code for the Travelodge. When we arrived at the services we noticed that everything closed at 10pm- we arrived at 10pm hungry. The staff in BK and a cafe were not shall I say polite but the staff in M&S were lovely and said if we were quick we could choose some sandwiches. The Travelodge was very basic and clean (what others said) maybe because I was ill it didn't feel clean to me, hubby actually called me a snob, I don't know how he dared haha I always stay in a Travelodge, it was just this one. It was also like a rabbit warren. However, 8 of us agreed that we wouldn't use this services/Travelodge again.

Friday 31st May
After a nice lie in (only because I was soooo tired from being ill all week) we had breakfast in the services and then headed back to the North East arriving about 4pm after stopping for lunch at Grantham services.

We had a good time at DLP despite the weather.  Staying at the Sequoia Lodge was lovely. It is a lovely hotel, lots to keep both my children amused. I would definitely come back here again- hopefully next time I could truly enjoy it.

capitalbarbie

Great trip report, we go on Sat xxx
WDW Florida 1997
WDW Florida 1998
DLP Hotel Cheyenne 1999
WDW Florida 2006
WDW Florida 2009
DLP Hotel Cheyenne 2013

Aurora1

Hope you`re feeling better by now!
NIce trip report, thank you!

Zee79

Thanks. Not feeling great still but I am bit better than before, on antibiotics now for an added complication to it. Been on DLP for prices to try cheer myself up  :)

andrewuk

Lovely report. The French schools are not on holiday when we have May half term in the UK so it's a good time to go, but it can really rain.
July 2003 My Travel Explorers
May 2004 Sequoia Lodge
July 2006 Patio St Antoine @Nation (RER commute to DLRP)
December 2007 Kyriad Val de France
August 2009 Hotel New York
May 2015 Hotel Cheyenne

never2old

Sorry you were ill during your trip, but at least it sounds like you had a good time!! We were there just before you and the weather was terrible, when it rains, it rains....  ;)

Thank you for sharing!!

jackieann

Nice report.  I love the sequoia lodge.. the Thurrock hotel wonder if the same one I have stayed in. Was there a burger king next door??

Zee79

I was determined not to spoil it for the others, just hoping to go back to the Sequoia so I can appreciate it this time. We are planning a new year trip but not until next year so having to save as eldest will turn 12 whilst there.

If you went through the lift or out hotel main doors and into the services you found Burger King. It was the left turn after the Dartford Tunnel and then round some very big roundabouts haha- jackieann

tubbsy

Lovely report. Fingers crossed for no illness next time you go!

Sam
October 2001-Santa Fe
June 2002-New York
August 2006-Sequoia
October 2007-Sequoia
August 2010- Newport Bay Admiral Floor
August 2013- Newport Bay Admirals Floor
August 2014 - WDW! Art of Animation Resort
August 2017- Newport Bay Compass Club

Zee79

Thanks everyone  :)

It's the first time i've been whilst there, we've been at christmas a few times and it's been cold but perfectly fine. I'm definitely not planning on having new year spoilt haha. Started saving those pennies  :D

BlackPearl

Thanks for sharing your report!
Glad you enjoyed the trip despite your illness.