Why do characters barely roam the park here?

Started by disneyismylifeok, March 31, 2013, 03:35:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TVTaughtMeHowToFeel

Quote from: "Aurora1"I agree with what has been said; it`s not the CM fault that people are pushing and beeing rude! But they are the ones in charge for the character! I would love to see more of them telling the people that the "line" (at unscheduled meets) goes from the right to the left, or the other way around! For example, the train comes more then once a day! So no one needss to see all the characters at the same stop!

And I too wish people would behave a liitle less aggressive as some of them.

Nice idea, TVtaughtMeHowToFeel!!

Thanks!!! :)
Halloween 2000
Summer 2004
Halloween 2005
Christmas 2005
Halloween 2007
Halloween 2010
Summer 2012
Spring 2014
Christmas 2014

Aaron In Wonderland

I Have To disagree im afraid. The last time I was in dlp (March 2012 it seems way too long) there were many characters roaming around. Chip and Dale were in main street . Geppetto , Pinnochio , Smee and Captain Hook were in Adventureland and much to my nieces delight Peter Pan and Wendy were outside of the peter pans flight ride in fantasyland. :) I love the variety of characters that pop up around the parks especially in The Studios.

orangarnold

At my last visit there was Goofy at Studios in the tower of terror bellhop uniform, I've never seen that before so off I went to get a photo  ;D

I was lucky there was no scrum no pushing, I have witnessed it in the main park and for small children it must be so scary.

stitch147

Whenever I have been I have always seen plenty of characters walking round, however it is always a bit of a scrum to meet them. This may sound a bit harsh, but why do parents insist on just pushing their kids towards the characters? I dont have kids but I would still like to meet n greet with the characters but I am made to feel like I shouldnt by many parents as they feel because they have kids they should get priority. Many times I have walked away disappointed and upset as I have not had a chance to meet my favourite character. Give adults a chance too. Disney isnt just for kids! I like the areas where I can queue to see them but also like to be able to have the spontaneuos meetings too! I shouldnt miss out just because I'm an adult!!!  :( :'( >:(

Ok, rant over. x  :-X

Aurora1

You`re totally right!
I never went alone. Always with my daughter. Now she is 12 years old, almost 13, so to speak she is tall. we expierienced it this time, people think they can shove the smaller kids in front of her! Good thing the CM wre, mostly, really attentive. They made clear it`s going from one side to another.

lorrig

Main problem at DLRP is that it is not in  the culture of many continental European countries to queue. They don't queue  in general at home so why would they suddenly do so at DLRP? Therefore a scrum ensures and the CMs either don't care enough to step in or don't have enough training. In the end if you don't actively move your child forward they just don't get seen. Most CMs don't look out for the polite patient child and let then have a turn. At WDW people are used to queuing and automatically wait their turn which makes it much easier for the CM to manage.
Also at WDW there are many, many, many more organised M&G so it doesn't feel so 'vital' to meet the 'unscheduled' characters for many people.
Last time at DLRP we were there for 7 days and found it impossible to meet Rapunzel, who is a much sought after character. We did the Princess Pavillion numerous times every day to no avail and found the CMs extremely unhelpful in helping us to meet my DD favourite character.
The past poster who is waiting till their daughter is 10 before going to WDW, I say, why wait? The experience is so much richer and pleasant there. Why wait till your daughter is getting too old for the character magic to visit especially if your family is not that fussed with thrill rides?

ed-uk

Everything is on a bigger scale at WDW if we're going to compare it to DLP. WDW has four theme parks and therefore more rides and shows. It has Water parks, and no doubt more characters roaming the parks because it's the most popular theme Park destination in the world. DLP is on a smaller scale so you pay your money and take your choice. :)   
Ed & David

nathalie

Especially at the Studio's they are learning ... last summer there, more and more characters where the CM's created a line.

Also at Halloween, some were brave enough to tell people to stand in line, instead of acting like a pack of wolves towards some fresh meat  ::)

Other guests simply don't listen to the CM when they say "from the left to the right", they heard them alright, they just choose not to listen  *sigh*.

ed-uk

I should say that we don't go to DLP to meet and greet the characters, we have met a few but we've never queued up for them. But i don't get this with the Princess Pavilion, guests queue up to have their picture taken with a Disney princess, Disney don't say in advance which one, it's not the Rapunzel Pavilion or the Little Mermaid Pavilion.
Some DLP fans think that there is too much emphasis put on meeting and greeting the characters and not enough on shows or other entertainment.
Ed & David

nathalie

I was never into it myself, untill last year Halloween, lol, it's just nice to get a hug and such  :P

I don't know what it's like with the princesses, I don't quite care for those  :-[
I've heard many stories about it, depending on the CM, some do tell who it is and arrange for you to see the one you want, some won't bed and say nothing.  It's so weird hearing both stories, doesn't make it fair for everyone else I guess?

ed-uk

When i was a child, if my father had taken me to Disneyland for an expensive holiday, and had queued up with me to have my picture taken with a Disney Character and i had come away all upset and disappointed, i don't think he would ever have queued up with me for anything again :'( . Not that either of us liked queues. ::)
Ed & David

nathalie

Good thing we are all different, hehe.
If my parents would have done that, I probably would have walked away screaming being scared, haha  :P

dazzle_v2003

When I was at DLP at the start of October at the busy Meet and greets the new system was in place with the character picking out the people from the crowd whose turn it was next and the system did work and everyone was happy. Not all the meet and greets were like that for every character while I was there and there were a few free for alls but when it works the new system is perfect.

I may have also been lucky it was quiet and the people there understood about waiting their turn perhaps.

aquacat2

Could having more than one cast member with each character help this? One could stay with the character and the other try and control the mob!
I have seen it when a single cast member tried to take out more than one character and they ended up having to retreat! At least having some fixed meet and greets ensures the more popular characters are protected a bit.
Newport Bay Club- 2006
Ranch Davy Crockett - 2007
Hotel Santa Fe - 2015

TVTaughtMeHowToFeel

It seems like they are testing a new system, where people queue up for characters without any barriers holding them in place... InsideDLParis posted some pictures on twitter yesterday: https://twitter.com/InsideDLParis
I don't know if it really works, but it seems so. Let's hope  they stick with it and nobody gets run over by overly ambitious and rude parents anymore.  ;)
Halloween 2000
Summer 2004
Halloween 2005
Christmas 2005
Halloween 2007
Halloween 2010
Summer 2012
Spring 2014
Christmas 2014