Are there many rides for a 5 year old?

Started by abismummy, March 17, 2013, 07:54:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

abismummy

I was wondering what rides there are for a 5 year old - and also me who doesnt like big rides lol! Also which ones are there shorter queues for? As we have never been before everything is new to us so we are not bothered which rides we go on. When we went to Legoland we just headed for the shortest queues and had a great time.
Thanks x

mdw

Loads of rides for a five year....

Peter pan
Story boat
Dumbo
Casey jnr train
Carrousel
Tea cups
Slinky dog
Buzz lightyear
Flying carpets
It's a small world

Probably more I have forgotten. Queues depend when you go?

abismummy

Going in August so probably lots of queuing lol x

mdw

Where are you staying?

ed-uk

In Disneyland Park all of the rides in Fantasyland are suitable for a 5 year old. Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs could be frightening  for some children.
In the WDS Park there is Play House Disney, The Stitch Encounter, Flying Carpets, Cars Race Rally and Slinky Dog in Toy Story Playland, amongst some others.
If you don't like big rides and I take that to mean roller coasters, you might want to avoid Space Mountain and Indiana Jones in Disneyland Park, and  Rock n' Roller Coaster, Tower of Terror, RC Racer and maybe Crushes coaster in the Studios.
Ed & David

abismummy

Quote from: "mdw"Where are you staying?

At the Cheyenne x

mdw

Disneyland park is open 8am-10am for Disney hotel guests only! Only fantasyland is open but the queues are a lot smaller than the rest of the day.

The rides that are open that would interest you are dumbo, teacups, peterpan and buzz lightyear. Sometimes the rides have no queues. Highly recommend getting there for this time!

HFJohnson

Yes, definitely make the most of Extra Magic Hours and also fastpasses where available.

Noone has mentioned the Pirates of the Caribbean ride, which my 5 year old loves! It's a dark water ride with a couple of short drops but I wouldn't call it scary. Star Tours is also great fun as is Big Thunder Mountain if you're feeling brave and both are favourites of my five year old.

Orbitron and Autopia are also good fun, both in Discoveryland.

Other than the big rides mentioned by ed-uk pretty much everything is fine for five year olds.

jeakat24

There are so many rides. I've been looking as my daughter will be around 19months old when we go and I was amazed at how many things she can go on. Because she's a bit of a daredevil we're going to try her on Pirates of the Caribbean- we're sure she's going to love it  :D
Jan 2002- Cheyenne,
Nov 2004- Santa Fe,
July 2005- Santa Fe,
March 2007- Cheyenne,
Sept 2007- Cheyenne,
Oct 2008- HNY,
Jan 2010- Santa Fe,
Sept/Oct 2013- Cheyenne (Alice's first trip),
Feb 2015- DLH (Isaac's first trip and Alice's birthday trip)
June 2016- Sequoia Lodge

AnnieMouse

My kids went to Disneyland (California) for the first time when they were almost-5 and almost-3.  It's such a fun age because they just love the characters, the special food and the overall atmosphere.  There are many shows and parades that kids that age will love. My kids are tall and were able to go most of the rides.  They love Pirates of the Caribbean (our family favorite). I've heard that some kids are frightened by the darkness in the Fantasyland rides, but mine were OK.  

I highly recommend taking a break in the middle of the day and heading back to the hotel for a swim and/or nap.  Kids that age can really get overstimulated and worn out.  Hope you have a great trip!

Disneyland | 1981-1997, 2008, 2010, 2012
California Adventure | 2008, 2010, 2012
Disneyland Paris |1998
WDW |1991

captain rocket

All good advice! When you check in to your hotel you should ask if they have availability for you to enjoy your breakfast in the park one day. There is no extra charge for this and means that if you get up early, say 07.40 and go straight to the park for early magic hours you could spend 90 minutes enjoying almost crowd free rides, well almost!, and then have a rest for a buffet breakfast. This is a really good way of enjoying quality ride time without horrendous queues.