Any tips for visiting with a baby and two young children?

Started by faeriemagick, March 18, 2013, 03:54:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

faeriemagick

We'll be visiting Disneyland at the end of April and just wondered if anyone has any tips for visiting with young children? Our youngest will be about 6 months by then. We will also be taking a 3 and a half year old and a just turned 2 year old (I know, we're probably insane!)
We're taking a double pushchair but I do carry the baby in a sling a lot so I think that will probably come in quite handy. We're staying at the Davy Crockett and driving over so we have plenty of room to bring all the essentials we'll need for them!
Any handy tips/hints would be really appreciated :) I'm trying to be as organised as possible to make it as stress free and fun as it can be!

gemmasteele84

We went when my son was 9 months old and advice we could give is:
- Take some toys they can play with in their buggies, plus lots of little snack packs incase they get bored/peckish around the parks.
- Plan lots of breaks. We would go back to the hotel about 3 to let Cameron have a nap, dinner, then back out to the park.
- Most of the shows are great for the younger children and gives you a chance to sit down and rest yourself.
- Theres a lovely little baby area at the end of mainstreet. Very quiet room with toys and places to sit and feed.
- Take a bike lock for the pushchair, we never had an issue but there have been a lot of thefts.
- Take a few disney toys/outfits with you to give as gifts when there. Toys there are SO expencive compared to here and little ones will probably want everything they see.
- it can get cold at night, we used to dress Cameron in his pjs after dinner then put a snowsuit on him. He stayed nice and warm while we saw the night shows and then just stripped it off him and right into bed when back at the hotel. Saved waking him to change him if he fell asleep.
Sure I will thik of some more. We went again when my son was older, he was 4, my daughter 3 and my 5 year old neice and there was loads for them all to do so you will be fine :)

gemma2806

If you want to go on some of the rides with your older children or if your eldest can go on some rides that the others can't then take advantage of the 'baby switch' service where your husband can keep the younger children at the exit of the ride whilst you go on with your eldest. Once you've had your turn your husband can then go on the ride with your eldest child and not have to queue a second time to ride. The cast members will give you a paper ticket at the entrance of the ride which allows you to do this.

If you eat at any of the table service restaurants in the resort they will provide you with facilities to warm bottles and food etc for your baby and in some places they even provide free jars of baby food. Your 2 yr old will be able to eat at any table service or buffet service restaurant for free and your eldest will be able to order from a child's menu. I did this with my son who was nearly 3 at the time. He had his own plate to get free food at the buffets.

I found it was a really good idea to take bottles of squash from here and a flask so I could make up an unlimited number of drinks throughout the day for my son. This saves a fortune and gives you more choice if your child doesn't like fizzy drinks.

You'll have an amazing time even if you aren't able to see and do everything. Have a wonderful trip!

polar vixen

I completely agree witht he last response, one of the benefits of driving is that you can take non-perishable food stuffs with you, so take plenty of dilute juice with you and some empty bottles, so that you can make it up to take out with you each day, you'll save a fortune!  
Ride-wise, do as much as you can during the week as opposed to weekend so it's quieter, and for your 2/4 year old, take a disney outfit to wear, they cost a fortune there, and despite taking a case full of clothes, my 3 little ones, just wanted to wear costumes all the time, especially so they could show their favourite character (mine refused to have his coat zipped up and kept pointing at his tigger covered chest while the parade was on so that Tigger could see they matched!
We got disney theme sticker books  to take with us for in restaurants and travelling etc. I actually found it easier in some respects going with small children, esp. young babies, they're easily amused and you get more just seeing them get a response to a cuddly mickey mouse!

eduws

Ooh have fun!
Just one thing to be aware of, they don 't let you take buggies into the theatres. This caught us out when we went the first time, my 20 month old was fast asleep in the buggy and my 3 yr old was super excited to go and see the Mickey Mouse show in the theatre down where the new Mickey Mouse meet and greet is. Daddy ended up taking her in while I drank hot chocolate in the cafe!!!