Disney Holiday 12nts/13days!! Day 9

Started by gemma2806, March 12, 2013, 07:49:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gemma2806

We had a much quieter paced day today which was a nice change.

We had a late slot for breakfast in the park today so we headed to Fantasyland to do the usual extra magic hours rides which were definitely some of Jack's favourites.

We went to the Plaza Gardens for breakfast again but found it to be much quieter today, I don't know if it was just a quiet day or if the time meant it was quieter.

We decided to tackle Discoveryland today which is my least favourite land but is Daniel's favourite. It was relatively quiet compared to other days so we found we could walk on everything. First port of call was Buzz Lightyears Laser Blast which is Daniel's favourite ride of the entire park. Sadly the animatronic Buzz was being refurbished and hidden behind a giant shower curtain! We rode this and as is standard I lost on the points front so my competitive side took over and we rode again, not that I did any better!! Jack really enjoyed this one and so I gave in to his requests and bought him his own Buzz laser gun from the shop.  We then went round the back of the land to Star Tours and as we arrived so did the characters! We met Emile from Ratatouille, Judge Frollo from Hunchback of Notre Dame, Gov Ratcliffe from Pocahontas, Tigger, Goofy and Pluto who made a special fuss of Jack as he was clutching his Pluto toy.

We rode Star Tours without a wait which Jack really enjoyed, Daniel also loved this as it was his first time riding it. I also like this ride. We then queued and caught the Disneyland Railroad for a tour of the park which was lovely as it was the first time we had made it on to the Railroad all holiday. We took a full tour and got back off at Discoveryland. I then found the Wall-E and Eve statue so I took some pictures. We walked round Nautilus but Jack was not keen on this at all, it wasn't even the giant squid he didn't like, for some reason he had it in his head that there was a shark in there and so he just wanted to get out! We didn't queue for Autopia or Orbitron as they had the biggest queues of the day.

We walked to Cafe Hyperion and had lunch. The food was nice but for some reason there was a funny smell in the place awfully similar to sick!! We sat for a bit and watched the films on Cinema Mickey which kept Jack entertained. Afterwards we walked round the shops and then took some photos of Discoveryland and Frontierland. We trekked over here so Jack could ride Phantom Manor again! We then found a great spot on Main Street and watched Disney Magic on Parade! I actually bought a tub of popcorn and candy floss to eat while the parade was on and as sad as it sounds I felt this added to the experience for me! I loved this parade and the floats, Jack was really pleased when the dancers came over to him to interact. Daniel was like a teenager when one of the fairies stood and winked at him (typical!!) The only thing I wasn't keen on was the continuity of the music as it was only a short piece and it kept stopping and starting on repeat.

After the parade we had time for a change at the hotel and then we went to La Grange at Billy Bobs for dinner. This was a really good buffet and the puddings were amazing, it was just a shame that I didn't have any room left for all of them! We then decided to walk along the Rio Grande and check out the Santa Fe hotel and pop in for a drink. The walk was lovely but (sorry for anyone who likes this hotel) I just didn't like the feel of the hotel at all. The buildings seemed really basic and I didn't like the layout, the grounds seemed completely unattended and when we went in the main lobby building it seemed very sparse and not very welcoming. We decided not to stay for a drink and just left to go back to our hotel. I can't believe that the Hotel Cheyenne is the same price as I find this to be a much better hotel in every sense.

Anyway we got back to the hotel for the usual evening routine of bar, balcony for fireworks and bed!

jeakat24

Ah, but the Santa Fe sell Tequila Sunrises  :D

We've stayed there a fair few times (it used to be cheaper than the Cheyenne). I've found it to have a much better atmosphere when it's really hot and sunny. The theme doesn't really work in winter  :P

The bar area is good, and there are different things to explore in the grounds, but I do much prefer the Cheyenne.
Jan 2002- Cheyenne,
Nov 2004- Santa Fe,
July 2005- Santa Fe,
March 2007- Cheyenne,
Sept 2007- Cheyenne,
Oct 2008- HNY,
Jan 2010- Santa Fe,
Sept/Oct 2013- Cheyenne (Alice's first trip),
Feb 2015- DLH (Isaac's first trip and Alice's birthday trip)
June 2016- Sequoia Lodge

gemma2806

I didn't make it as far as the bar else I would have had a tequila sunrise!!