How far in advance do you plan you trips?

Started by jeakat24, March 08, 2013, 02:49:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jeakat24

We've always planned our trips with not a lot of time to spare. Mostly we decide about two months before we want to go, and then we book.

The longest we've left it in the past was out Halloween 08 trip which was planned and booked about seven months in advance.

Now, we're hoping to take our daughter for her second birthday (her first trip), next February- and I'm really struggling to get my head round having to wait for so long!  :D we're going to wait until we book so we can get some good offers though.

How long have you planned and, if it was a long time, how did you cope with the wait?!
Jan 2002- Cheyenne,
Nov 2004- Santa Fe,
July 2005- Santa Fe,
March 2007- Cheyenne,
Sept 2007- Cheyenne,
Oct 2008- HNY,
Jan 2010- Santa Fe,
Sept/Oct 2013- Cheyenne (Alice's first trip),
Feb 2015- DLH (Isaac's first trip and Alice's birthday trip)
June 2016- Sequoia Lodge

gemmasteele84

We booked our trip last July to go this April. I cope with the wait as I focus on other things, like Christmas and birthdays first :) once that's done I start planning the holiday in detail. Meal plans, day trips out etc. in the month run up this time we're going to make a Disney advent calendar, each day we'll do something disney related like reading a story, watching a film, making Disney cakes and the like. :)

jeakat24

Unfortunately Christmas is so far away, and  most of our birthdays have just passed  :D

I love the advent idea though! I'm definitely going to have to put it to the back of my mind!
Jan 2002- Cheyenne,
Nov 2004- Santa Fe,
July 2005- Santa Fe,
March 2007- Cheyenne,
Sept 2007- Cheyenne,
Oct 2008- HNY,
Jan 2010- Santa Fe,
June 2016- Sequoia Lodge

ilovedisneylandparis

I love the advent calendar idea too! We usually book in November or December and then visit in June, and I always find it hard waiting 6 months...I hate how time goes so slowly in the run-up to DLP, but when you're there time goes so fast?!

I've got a Disney blog so I find myself updating that more and more the closer to the trip, and I just try and do lots of Disney-themed stuff too, like listening to songs and watching DLP videos on YouTube, that sort of thing. My boyfriend bought me Disney on Ice tickets for my birthday too, that's always a lovely thing to do  :D I also do ridiculous amounts of planning, just silly things like making lists of shops I'd like to go to and rides I'd like to go on, that sort of thing! It just makes me feel better  ;)

gemma2806

I booked my last holiday in November for the following September and have just booked this trip for November.

I do the same as geekyjo, I watch videos of all the rides at DLP then make lists for all the different things I want to do there. Then I make lists for the other people going on holiday with me. I watch all my Disney films and try to have a plan of action for while I'm away and then once I'm there everything usually goes out the window but it kills time whilst I'm waiting to go and it's fun to do!!

gldc

Personally no longer than 4 months usually as all the waiting annoys me.
DLP Visits: Summer 2003 // April 2011 // Christmas 2011 as a Cast Member // April 2012 // April 2013 // Returning June 2014 to September 2015 as a Cast Member // February 2016

WDW Visits: Summer 2013 as a Cast Member // September 2015
DLR Visits: August 2013 // September 2015

My Cast Member blog - http://www.mepipe.com

Tubbyherman

For us it's normally 6 months at least in advance, but timing is influenced by what offers they have on. So this time round, we booked in August to go in March so we could take advantage of the 40% off deal.

Elaine

Quote from: "Tubbyherman"For us it's normally 6 months at least in advance, but timing is influenced by what offers they have on. So this time round, we booked in August to go in March so we could take advantage of the 40% off deal.

if i want to stay onsite, its usually way in advance, to make the best out of the offers. If I'm more restricted to a time of year where DLP onsite will be over my budget, I book my travel first, then sort out offsite hotel usually a couple of months before  the trip.

Epcot_Boy

For me, I always arrange my transport as far in advance as I can, so as to be sure I get the exact seat I want plus I always get a good deal the earlier I book.
However I don't arrange my Disney hotel room until much closer to the time. You get much better offers if your prepared to wait. I have never ever known DLrP to be fully booked, even in the high season.
So wait for the better offers for as long as you dare :)
For this Summer season I have booked my room much earlier than normal but that is because family members are coming with me this time and they kept asking me, 'Have you booked yet.......have you booked yet.............have you bookrd yet.......'  well you get the idea. So to keep the peace :lol:
So normally, Transport booked early, Hotel booked much nearer the date :thumbs:

David

Tubbyherman

Have to agree with booking transport as far in advance as possible. I booked Eurostar in August for 2 adults and 2 children paying £258 return, last time I looked it was over £700 for the same booking.

Quote from: "Epcot_Boy"However I don't arrange my Disney hotel room until much closer to the time. You get much better offers if your prepared to wait. I have never ever known DLrP to be fully booked, even in the high season.
So wait for the better offers for as long as you dare :) :

It's interesting you say this as I did I search on the dates we're away in March at the HNY and it said there was nothing  available that matched our criteria. I had assumed it was because they were fully booked, but could it be that not all rooms are released do you think?

jeakat24

Well I'm glad I'm not the only one who gets really impatient!

I'm already trying to bring the trip forward to the September to November window for the two days and two nights free offer and I seem to be wearing my partner down on that one :lol:

He's very good about putti it to the back of his white we're waiting to go but I'm the total opposite.

Epcot Boy- good idea and probably saves you a fortune but I know my luck and it would be the first time in ages where Disney is fully booked if I tried it :roll:
Jan 2002- Cheyenne,
Nov 2004- Santa Fe,
July 2005- Santa Fe,
March 2007- Cheyenne,
Sept 2007- Cheyenne,
Oct 2008- HNY,
Jan 2010- Santa Fe,
June 2016- Sequoia Lodge