Where did all the shows go?

Started by DisneyDancer92, May 24, 2012, 02:56:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DisneyDancer92

Just found this (and many more retro show videos) on youtube:

[youtube:2j7ffus6]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxb9x-0U_pc&feature=relmfu[/youtube:2j7ffus6]

It seems like an amazing shows, like most of the other shows from the 90's/early 2000's- but nowadays it feels kinda dead on the show-front. What has happened? Doesn't people want to see shows anymore (Looking at ticket sales in the west end tells me something else)?

Legend of Lion king has been gone for quite some time, and Tarzan is only back for a limited season- and to be honest, they should really make something new. I am so happy Animaque is still playing- but shouldnt there be more than one show in such a huge themepark resort ? :) I would love to see something like the above video (hopefully with live singing haha)- a great meadley of different disney scenes- or maybe something brand new like a "Tangled" show :D
I am gratefull for what there is in the park- but one of my favourite things about Disney parks is the shows! And I would be sad if it all ended up being about rides and character greetings :(

" No matter how your heart is grieving,
If you keep on believing..
The dream that you wish will come true"

DisneyIsALifestyle

i'd love to see an all year round Disney on Ice type show, or the Aladdin: Musical Spectacular we see at California Adventure  :thumbs: it's just DLP doesn't have the money to do what the American parks do, its a shame.

15MagicalYears

Its a real shame that DLP are missing out hugely show-wise. Their entertainment offerings haven't always been so poor, though, long ago they did actually produce high-quality entertainment.

Shows are one of my favourite things about my trips to WDW, and there's so many over there too -

Dream along with Mickey, The festival of the Lion King, Finding Nemo the Musical, The Indiana Jones Stunt Show, The voyage of the Little Mermaid and Beauty and the Beast. This isn't including the endless street acts/entertainment they have.

I know it comes purely down to budget but it really does take away from the over-all experience of the resort. Hopefully one day soon we'll see more entertainment around the parks and less shows which have to share theatres which leave the theatre empty for several months in the year.

alternativerock123

Yes I think it's a real shame that they don't really do shows anymore - since I've only been to DLP since 2010 - I really feel like I'm missing out. Even some of the "outdoor" shows like the old Mary Poppins show and Sleeping Beauty show in the courtyard (wanting to watch it - we went to the wrong area - lol first trip)

But yes I'm appreciative that I've seen the Tarzan show - but I would love to see some full "Broadway" style shows - like how they have the Aladdin show in Cal and the Nemo show in WDW.

But I feel like whenever people ask questions like that - I always just want to say "Money."  :P
31st Aug - 1st Sept 2010 = Kyriad Torcy (First Time <3)
11th - 14th July 2011 = New York Hotel
2nd - 4th Aug 2011 = Kyriad Torcy
31st Oct 2011 = Day Trip
13th March 2012 (Disneyland Cal)
10th - 13th April 2012= Hotel L'Elysée
30th May - 1st June 2012 = Hotel L'Elysée
31st Oct - 1st Nov 2012 = Residence Prestige
18th - 20th July 2013 - Residence Prestige
9th -11th Nov 2013 = Hotel L'Elysée (First Christmas Trip!)
Coming soon:
29th April - 1st May = Hipark Serris.

ed-uk

I agree on the show front, I'm pleased that the Tarzan Encounter is coming back, I know it's an old show but I still enjoy it. The Videopolis Theatre is still dark which is a shame, The Lion King was a very good, Disney even issued a CD and Souvenir brochure. What I would really like to see is Mary Poppins, based on the Disney theatrical production staged in London, but on a smaller scale of course. I doubt it will happen though.
Ed & David

DisneyFanB

I'm afraid that in order to get shows back like that they will need to build a new big venue first , and there is no budget for that. :(
The main reason Videopolis is dark is because marketing wise it does not make sense anymore to put on expensive shows like for example The Lion King, while only a few 100 people can see it at a time.
That's just wasting alot of entertainment budget for a small amount of people.
Breaking out the eating section and turn Videopolis into a venue that can seat 1.000 or more they will most likely never do, since from what I heared, it's the resorts best "restaurant" profit wise.
So in the end, expensive quality shows like in the 90's will only make sense to them with a new venue so that 1.500 - 2.000 people at a time are able to enjoy the show.

Thaliel

I always wonder the same. back in my very first visit in...1996 (bad memory, I'm getting old XD) there were 2 different shows in videopolis, one of them not even being related to anything disney (oh and it was an awesome show, we went to see it every day) as well as the awesome "tous en scéne" in the old fantasy stage. Even the short scene near the carousel de Lancelot is no longer happening, where Merlin would appear and have a kid from the crowd pull excalibur outta the stone...though they did use that are for the dewey, Huey and louie Appearance on the not so scary Halloween parties last year
<-Plz click

justjes

That´s also what I thought in the past there was a lot more entertainment. In all the stages there was a show playing. I can remember a lot of them. In America shows are still a big part of the parcs but here in Paris there are not so much shows left. I am a person who likes this kinds of shows so for me I think it´s a pitty. But I guess it's too expensive and not so populair like the shows are in America.

jonathan

I suppose it wasnt too bad on the show front last year. If you call the following shows anyway there was Animagique, Playhouse Disney Live, Stitch Live, Rhythms of the Jungle, the one on the stage outside the castle with Mickey and the Genie and Following the Leader with Peter Pan.

Tinkswishes28

Quote from: "jonathan"I suppose it wasnt too bad on the show front last year. If you call the following shows anyway there was Animagique, Playhouse Disney Live, Stitch Live, Rhythms of the Jungle, the one on the stage outside the castle with Mickey and the Genie and Following the Leader with Peter Pan.

oh shoot, i didnt realise that rythms of the jungle was a show, we skipped that. We did however watch cinemagique and animagique and thought they were brilliant.
2005 DLRP

jonathan

Well it had Jungle Book characters dancing around and African drummers and stuff so I guess youd class it as a show lol

DisneyDancer92

Not to dig up an old thread- but went through some of my stuff the other day and found an old park map/programme from 2004, and reminded me of this thread:

Found it really interesting that on an average day in the summer of 2004 you would have 4 shows to choose from.
Wish DLRP would bring more shows back- not anything big, but something like the "winnie the Pooh-show", or "Mickey and friends" would be lovely. Just something entertaining and fun with all our fave disney characters :D

" No matter how your heart is grieving,
If you keep on believing..
The dream that you wish will come true"