Lone Traveler Advice

Started by disney-dan, January 08, 2013, 08:12:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

disney-dan

Hey guys,

I've got a long period off work (been off 3 weeks already and won't be back until near the end of March) and am desperate for a break. I feel fed up, stuck in a rut, even anxious at times because I'm so bored!! I won't be able to go anywhere after the 23rd because I'm having a pretty major surgery and am seriously considering booking a trip on my own next week (15th - 19th) kinda last minute as being in Disney is the only place I feel at home (when not at home haha). I would just drive it as the Eurotunnel is only £96 and I enjoy a road trip. Plus the current 2day/2night deal is so tempting lol.

I guess my query is how many of you have visited DLP alone and did you feel lonely, weird at being there by your self, or anything else? I'm not worried about my safety, I'm a big bloke and could easily take on most people haha, just what it would be like to go alone, especially as a man in his early 30's (I'm 31).

I'm on the final pages of the booking screens for both DLP and Eurotunnel so am pretty much on the verge of booking it. Just wanted views before I confirm it.

Thanks!!
Have a Magical day!!

DD

perrollaz

Hi Dan
I was at DLP alone before and it was a nice trip. And after many trips with other, I'm considering to go alone sometimes again. Because there is ONE huge advantage if you are on your own: YOU can decide where to go, WHICH ride you want to stand in line for and WHEN you are hungry ;-)  
And if you are someone that loves just the parc and the atmospehre, why not just sitting there and enjoying the vibe of the parc. That's something I guess you can only do if you are alone, or at least you don't have someone with you who wants to experience as much rides as possible.
Go and book the trip and give it a try- enjoy the time and all the best with the surgery.

SoundSoldier

I want it too, just to 'dissapear' and go to disney.

I understand your thoughts about feeling alone and such. Just don't think like that because that'll spoil your visit.
think about the bright side, just like perrollaz said: you can deside what you can do :)

Epcot_Boy

As a seasoned lone traveller to DLrP go have fun d-d :thumbs:  In recent years I have always travelled alone and I just love it :D/
Making your own decisions regarding what ride to visit next, where to eat lunch or dinner, even what park to visit first thing..............you can't beat it :)
If your the kind of person who can talk to anybody at anytime you'll love it. Even if your a little reserved you'll find most people friendly, I always do.
Some people worry about reactions to lone adult visitors, but I have always found most visitors are too worried about their own enjoyment at DLrP to be overly concerned about the lone visitor :)
As for eating on your own, well in all my visits I have never had a problem, in fact on many occasions waiting staff have been overly helpful to me, perhaps they have felt sorry for me being on my own :D  :lol:  Seriously, never had a problem. No problem with booking either :)
And being on your own can be very helpful when one has to do a little pushing to get the best view for Dreams or a parade, you don't have to worry about anyone else ;)
So enjoy the joys of the lone traveller, you won't regret it :thumbs:

Also, I'm sure the op will go well and you'll be back to tip top form before you know it, ready for another trip to DLrP =D>

David

SwipatronSparks

go ahead and book it, have yourself a good time before you op so you can relax!

by the way, good luck for your op hope it goes well

and be sure to do a trip report when you get back! i have always wanted to know what it would be like to travel to dlp alone, its something i was considering at one point...
past trips to DLRP ~2001~2001~2002~2003~2005~2005~2006~2008~2011~2013~2015/16~2016~2017~2019
DLH, SL, NPBC, Explorers, Dream Castle, Magic Circus, Kyraid,

upcoming trips....

fiyero

I have been on my own at least 3 times and also happily gone round the park on my own when travelling with friends.
I love the freedom, and once you get over answering 'un' to 'Combien de persone?' (excuse the bad French) you can just make the most of the rides and the fact that if you want to do Tower of Tower again and again and again you can.
I usually use the counter service restaurants so solo-dining hasn't been much of an issue.
I really love that I can just do what I want, if I want to arrive an hour before the parade for the perfect view I can, if I want to miss it altogether I can. Nobody is going to tell me what to do  :mrgreen:

I am going in 18 days time for the first time in 3 (or 4!) years and this time I am going on my own and will have a great time

disney-dan

Well I figured balls to the wall and went for it last night! All booked up for the 16th instead due to the longer opening hours on the Saturday and EMH on Sat and Sun. Gonna drive it and take the Eurotunnel. I did look at flying and the Eurostar but over all they were all the same price and by driving I get more Disney time :lol:

Excited and nervous at the same time :lol:
Have a Magical day!!

DD

perrollaz

Wow cool- don't be nervous, I'm sure you will have a great trip ;-)

SoundSoldier

great to hear!

and if you ever get lonely and have internet, i'm sure your story is welcomed here on this forum :D i'm sure, ill love to hear what's going on.

Epcot_Boy

Quote from: "disney-dan"Well I figured balls to the wall and went for it last night! All booked up for the 16th instead due to the longer opening hours on the Saturday and EMH on Sat and Sun. Gonna drive it and take the Eurotunnel. I did look at flying and the Eurostar but over all they were all the same price and by driving I get more Disney time :lol:

Good for you d-d =D>  Have a great time :)

David

disney-dan

Quote from: "Epcot_Boy"
Quote from: "disney-dan"Well I figured balls to the wall and went for it last night! All booked up for the 16th instead due to the longer opening hours on the Saturday and EMH on Sat and Sun. Gonna drive it and take the Eurotunnel. I did look at flying and the Eurostar but over all they were all the same price and by driving I get more Disney time :lol:

Good for you d-d =D>  Have a great time :)

Thanks Epcot_Boy, I'm actually really looking forward to it now. I just feel like I need to get away from some people I know, have some me time, do what I want when I want, not worry about other people and their problems for a few days and enjoy myself before the op. I felt fantastic at the start of the year, despite splitting from my gf in mid December  :roll: , but the last few days I've felt awful so I'm hoping this will help me. If anyone sees a guy sat alone with a coffee looking forlorn come say hi haha
Have a Magical day!!

DD

disney-dan

Well tonight's the night! Heading off to my friends place soon to chill out for a bit before I set off at about 2am for the 7.20am EuroTunnel crossing. Got my car packed up and rigged up with gizmo's, and am ready to smash the drive to DLP!!
Have a Magical day!!

DD

Epcot_Boy

Quote from: "disney-dan"Well tonight's the night! Heading off to my friends place soon to chill out for a bit before I set off at about 2am for the 7.20am EuroTunnel crossing. Got my car packed up and rigged up with gizmo's, and am ready to smash the drive to DLP!!

Have a wonderful time, I'm looking forward to your vacation pics :thumbs:

Don't forget to wrap up warm and keep nice and toastie, it looks like it's going to be a cold one :)

David

Elaine

Have a great time Disney Dan!

perrollaz

Yeah- wish you a good ride and lots abd lots of pixie dust at DLRP ;-)