Why hasn't the little mermaid musical come to london yet?

Started by BigDisneyFn, October 01, 2012, 10:05:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigDisneyFn

I have been waiting for this to come over since it opened on Broadway, and we havn't had a Disney musical here since Mary Poppins  :cry:  I know Newsies is in the works to come over which I can't waite to see :D. But I have been waiting patently for it to come over and it hasn't . Even if it comes to the palladium for a yr I'll go and see it. I just want to see this show it looks incredible. And I think Shophie Evans  should play Ariel and Hannah Wadingham for Ursula can't think of anyone eles for Ariel, and Ursula. So please Disney Listen and bring MERMAID to LONDON PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE  [-o<

BigDisneyFn

I have a feeling this will come over but not for another 4 or 5 yrs with the completely new revamped version currently being shown in germany wich looks amazing :D...............

HayHay

if it ever comes over, i WILL be there lol i love the little mermaid!

mattboywonder

What about the Disney's Aladin musical that has toured the US?
Disneyland - 1991, 1995, 2001, 2002, 2009, 2010, 2012
Walt Disney World - 1998, 2000, 2010, 2011, 2012
Tokyo Disneyland - 2008, 2011, 2012
Disneyland Paris - 1997, 2002, 2007, 2008, 2009 (March, May, Halloween & Dec), 2010 (Feb, July, Oct & Dec), 2011 (April, July & September), 2012 (March, April & July & New Years Eve) 2013 March
Hong Kong Disneyland - 2007, 2008

BigDisneyFn

There are rumors Aladin will be on Broadway by 2014 not over here sadly but Disney are concerntraiting on brinning over Newsies at the moment :)..

BigDisneyFn

I'm looking forward to all these future Disney shows but I just want to see Mermaid is that to much to ask i just want to see it so badly  comon Disney bring it to the west end please :)...

Pink Princess

I to e-mailed Disney about 2 years ago or so, asking if they would please bring it to the UK doesn't have to be London even. I got an e-mail address from the Disney Broadway musical website, though I don't know now if it is still there to use.  The response I got was they are not sure of any dates as yet, the second response I got was, they hope it will come to England very soon.
The last reply 1 year ago after still waiting for any news was, they don't have any plans to bring it to the uk.  So Two conflicting pieces of information, I don't think it really looks that bad  at all! I have the usa brochure which I bought from eBay and the cd.
So why there isn't any news and all other disney shows have come here isn't fair I think.  

So for people who read this, this was the info I had from them a while ago now.

Tracy

BigDisneyFn

Thanks I'm hearing rumours disney are wanting to bring the haunch back of notradame to broadway. And disney are planning on brining Tangled to the stage :-D x

Pink Princess

ok people click this link http://theater.disney.go.com/faq.html, it has info to e-mail disney theatre and also a postal thetare home office address. I we want this to come we need to be heard, I think a personla hand written letter as well as e-mail would work if more poeple wrote. I know I have in the past a commented above, but if not many poeple do than they won't listen and think it's only just one or Two people interested.  I have my hand written letter for the New York address, so get writing.
Guest Services
   Disney Theatrical Productions
   214 W. 42nd Street
   New York, NY 10036

Columbiad

I believe it didn't do well on Broadway, critically at least. Perhaps this contributed to it?

QuoteThomas Schumacher, producer and president of Disney Theatrical Productions said, "it would be fiscally irresponsible to our shareholders to risk operating losses with such a big show in the historically challenging fall months. We are closing the Broadway production to concentrate on the long future life of this title."

As a theatre student though, I know all too well that there can be so many other factors. Directors being busy, producers not being interested etc etc. It's never as simple as grabbing a theatre, casting it and shipping the right folk across. If it does come across, it wont be for a good while into the future, not with rumblings of Dumbo and other projects, as well as Aladdin.

Speaking of Little Mermaid though, last year it transferred to The Netherlands, and got a full design revamp. Not sure how I feel about it, but here's some pictures. As a theatre design student, I always love seeing another designers re-imagining of a show. With this production, emphasis was put on that "underwater" feel, and the surface was mad to resemble an old Dutch storybook.

In many ways, it looks better than the design for the Broadway version but it still lacks something. It's clearly a tricky tail (ahem, tale  ;) ) to bring to the stage.

ed-uk

Please bring back Mary Poppins, that was my favourite. I would like to see a stage production of Disney's The Hunchback of Notre Dame. There was a production in Germany which was very successful called Der Glockner Von Notre Dame and talk that the show would go to Broadway, but it never happened.
And a stage production of Disney's Peter Pan, the play and book are already very popular in Britain and it could be  very successful. In fact I'm surprised  that Disney theatricals  haven't already thought of it, but then it's expensive to stage these productions, it's a gamble for them.
Ed & David

Pink Princess

I'm not to keen on the new show lay out it looks a bit strange, if it comes to the uk, then it would have to have the same costumes as the original show wiht Sierra Boggess, these looked more how they should, though why was Ursual Green and not purple, I loved her costume except the colour change.

BigDisneyFn

I think these sets are more impressive especailly with ariel actually on wires pretending to swim than on weeley shoe's the guy who thought of this new set has a thumbs up from me ;D. If this does come to the UK it will probably tour first and then go to London seen as that is what most of the shows like Top Hat and 9 to 5 are doing. I'd just be happy to get the show over here as soon as possible before Sierra Boggess gets to old to play Ariel.

ed-uk

If it comes to London I'll go and see it because it's Disney and I've seen their other shows. I'm not that excited by the thought, but then It's not one of my favourite Disney films,  And coming  after Beauty and the Beast, The Lion King and Mary Poppins which is my favourite musical, I shall be expecting  a very good production.  To be honest looking at the pictures it might make a better ice show, I can just see them on skates.
Ed & David

Rocketeer

Quote from: "ed-uk"Please bring back Mary Poppins, that was my favourite. I would like to see a stage production of Disney's The Hunchback of Notre Dame. There was a production in Germany which was very successful called Der Glockner Von Notre Dame and talk that the show would go to Broadway, but it never happened.

I agree, I'd love to see a West End version of Hunchback, but I guess that ship has sailed. Especially now they've moved on to Aladdin.

Poppins was great though, I'd have a tough time choosing between it and Beauty and the Beast.

And I really do hope they bring Newsies over here. that looks like a fantastic show.
EDIT: Just found out they are hoping to bring Newsies over late '13 / early '14 (pending theatre availability) I'm ecstatic! .  =D>  :lol:  :D/

"We're not trying to entertain the critics ... I'll take my chances with the public." - Walt Disney