Pete's Dragon's Near Perfect Trip Report : Finished !!

Started by Pete's Dragon, September 06, 2012, 03:45:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlackPearl

Great report and pictures so far! Waiting for more.   :D
And you were really lucky with the queues!

never2old

Quote from: "Pete's Dragon"Sorry, I'll put Day 2 up later. This house has been mad since we got back.  8)

Strange. I always thought a house with you in it would be mad pretty much all the time... ;)

Pete's Dragon

Quote from: "never2old"
Quote from: "Pete's Dragon"Sorry, I'll put Day 2 up later. This house has been mad since we got back.  8)

Strange. I always thought a house with you in it would be mad pretty much all the time... ;)

It is. But this week its been certifiably insane  :roll:  :?  :stitch_bounce:

Trip report tonight, Andy Murray and the tennis won out yesterday

Pete's Dragon

Friday 31st August - You'll be in my Heart

After a good night's sleep and a tasty breakfast of croissants and coffee we headed for the 9:20am bus. The plan for today was Frontierland - Big Thunder Mountain and the Tarzan show. We reached the giant, wooden gates at 9:45 and already there was a bit of a queue forming.  It's funny watching adults who have kids jostling for position. Any seasoned veteran knows that when those gates open there's gonna be a full on stampede. Now unless they plan on leaving their kids behind to fend for themselves they aren't getting to the front of the queue. Me on the other hand was planning on leaving the kids behind ....... with their mother  8)

When the gates opened at 10am everyone did indeed run. It's a great feeling. It's competitive but at the same time it's a bit of fun. At least 3 people shouted yee-haa as they shot past. Now the question remained - run for the Big Thunder Mountain queue or head straight to the Fastpass. I decided to go for the Fastpass which hadn't even a time on it when I arrived (I ran really, really fast). A few seconds later the time came up for 10:30 to 11:00. Perfect amount of time for another coffee at the Fuento Del Oro.

The queue for BTM was already past the photobooth when the rest of my family finally caught up to me. And once again our luck was holding up. The cast member announced that the ride was having a few minor problems and wasn't quite ready to open. Glad I went for the Fastpasses  :thumbs:

We sat and had a nice - ish coffee (I've had worse) and wathced as BTM finally got going at 10:20am. 10 minutes later and we were crossing the bridge and joined the queue at the top of the stairs. When we got to the train and before the CM could ask how many people, my children started bouncing up and down shouting 'the back, the back'. The CM laughed and pointed us in the direction of Numero 14 and 15.

We all loved BTM so much that I went and got another set of Fastpasses while Subi took the kids to the Pocahontas Park. After letting the kids burn off all their excess energy, and a second go around BTM we decided to see what the queue was like for Tarzan. There were about 10 people waiting and the show started in 30mins, so we sat tight. Luckily for us we did because 5mins later there was around 200 people behind us. Another fine piece of timing (don't start being envious yet, our luck holds out for a lot longer). We strolled in and managed to get the best seats in the house: right in the middle.

I hadn't seen Tarzan since 2006. It was as good as I remembered. But really, they couldn't have mixed up the routine just a little bit? Not too many photos as a recorded the entire show.

Well, that was pretty much everything in the park that we wanted to do and it wasn't even Noon on the 2nd full day.  We headed over to the Frontierland Station and for the first time ever in all my visits, we got on to the first train that came along. Sadly for our eardrums Elisha's head was filled with Tarzan songs and she sang the whole way around.

[youtube:3u0mhu9x]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_xr6HwxYhY[/youtube:3u0mhu9x]

We did a full circle and got back off at Frontierland. Now as I was expecting massive queues we had Plaza Gardens booked for 5:30pm. So for lunch we went to Colonel Haiti's Pizza Outpost and shared 2 pizzas between the 4 of us. Afterwards we head through Adventureland via the rope bridge. Treehouse anyone? Anyone? Ah well, a quick visit to Captain Hook's ship and play park and then onwards to Pirates of the Caribbean for a second time. Both time Mr. Swinging Pirate was working. Twice in a row? I truly felt blessed.

Now I can't fully remember but I think we headed back to the hotel for a little rest before dinner. We came back for our reservation at Plaza Gardens but there was no record of it on the system. Oh no, shock horror. Had our luck finally ran out. Well, no as the restaurant was less than half full.  8)  We had never been here before and we wanted to compare it to La Grange - our favourite buffet thus far. Now while the main courses are more to my liking in La Grange, the desserts are definitely better in Plaza Gardens. So much so I took my one and only food photo. The decor and layout is very similar to the Newport Bay hotel restaurant. And it was very strange looking out of the window and not seeing the Village.

After dinner we planned to take a look around Fantasyland. The kids shouted they wanted to see the dragon, so we headed in that direction. Only to find the dragon was closed (HA!! I hear you cry). But we had arrived just in time for the water jets to fire in time to the music. Wow, really nice touch and a good idea to get as much use out of the as possible. Once it was over they reopened the dragon's lair (after putting out several Wet Floor signs).

Now I dont have a tripod so the only way to take these photos was with a very, very steady hand. I think one even had as much as a 2s shutter speed.

I think it was this one

We walked around the top of the Castle ( the Sleeping Beauty story bit), tried to pull the sword from the stone, and had a go on Pinocchio as the queue was 10mins (and 40mins for Snow White. Really?!?). We decided that a quick go on BLYLB would do us for the day. And that's when Eagle Eye Pete struck a fatal blow into the very heart of Zurg's evil dominion, crushing and blasting everything before him. Ladies swooned, men cheered, children cried. The CM wanted to present me with a trophy but I told them to keep it. I didn't do it for fame and fortune. I did it for the good of the galaxy; of all galaxies. You're Welcome !!

[spoiler:3u0mhu9x]ok, ok, the ride broke down just as I passed by the secret target. But it still only lets you regisiter a hit every 4-5 seconds. Admittedly I was there for quite a while. When the score got to 999, 500 I was scared to shoot anything incase the score went back round to 0[/spoiler:3u0mhu9x]

We had tickets for the Eiffel Tower at 10:30am tomorrow so we needed to get the 8:45am train into Paris. The plan was to do Paris, get something to eat, have a little rest and come into the park in time for Disney Dreams.

Quiz Time: During the day I took the following picture. It's location was mentioned during the my report. Before I will continue someone has to correctly tell me exactly what I'm looking at.

TVTaughtMeHowToFeel

some mythical creature at fuente del oro!!! don't  know its name  though :( continue anyway!!! please?!
Halloween 2000
Summer 2004
Halloween 2005
Christmas 2005
Halloween 2007
Halloween 2010
Summer 2012
Spring 2014
Christmas 2014

DLP-Photos.com

Great start to this great and (as always) funny report PD!!

And some brilliant photos - your hand is quite steady too if those dragon shots are really taken completely handheld!  :o

I really envy you that you got to see the fountains daytime "show" - the only thing that I missed on my trips!

Cannot wait for more!
/Nicolai

Please visit my DLP website: www.dlp-photos.com

[size=150]Trip report from August 2014[/size]

Javey74

Quote from: "forza_united"And some brilliant photos - your hand is quite steady too if those dragon shots are really taken completely handheld!  :o
Funny you should say that Forza, it did cross my mind looking at them. I tend to find that if there are just a few people around near the bottom stand point looking on you can rest the camera on the rocks and get a good stationary fixed point, if not you can get a good view point from above on the rocks, then use a slow shutter. The only problem is taking the shot at the point where the dragons head and tail stop moving, which is a narrow time window, otherwise blurring is a definite..  :mrgreen:  

I'd be interested to hear how PD posed that particular shot..   :D

Pete's Dragon

If memory serves I  squeezed my elbow tight against my stomach and had the camera about neck high. And I was in my best karate stance. There were indeed 4 or 5 shots that were blurred either because I wobbled or the dragon moved. Bit as we had everything done and werent in a rush I just kept trying.

Pete's Dragon

Just checked the photo info. It was only a 1second exposure for that one. The 2sec ones must have been deleted. Must verify facts better. Must finish trip report before I start remembering seeing unicorns and polite Spanish visitors too 8)

Epcot_Boy

A fun read PD with some wonderful pics, especially.............

One to be enjoyed when the youngsters are all grown up, a great family photo :thumbs:

David

Javey74

Quote from: "Pete's Dragon"If memory serves I  squeezed my elbow tight against my stomach and had the camera about neck high. And I was in my best karate stance. There were indeed 4 or 5 shots that were blurred either because I wobbled or the dragon moved. Bit as we had everything done and werent in a rush I just kept trying.
I see, I've heard of that method before. Try and try again, just for that one shot..  :mrgreen: Well it worked..  :thumbs:

Pete's Dragon

Quote from: "TVTaughtMeHowToFeel"some mythical creature at fuente del oro!!! don't  know its name  though :( continue anyway!!! please?!

Darn, you're right. Will post the next day soon

kelly.dylan

Great trip report so far. We were there at the same time but hit all of the crowds!

One question for you, we are flying to CDG for the first time in Oct and plan on getting the TGV. Do i need to book this in advance? and how long after landing would you say i need to leave before leaving by train?

Kelly.
September 2007-Cheyenne
March 2009-Santa Fe
January 2010-Cheyenne
October 2010-Hotel New York
December 2010-Cheyenne
February 2011-Disneyland Hotel
October 2011-Newport Bay
December 2011-Santa Fe
August 2012-Offsite
October 2012-Explorers Hotel
December 2012-Sequoia Lodge
May 2013-Kyriad
October 2013-Kyriad
December 2013-Dream Castle
October 2014-WDW Saratoga Springs[/color]

Pete's Dragon

Quote from: "kelly.dylan"Great trip report so far. We were there at the same time but hit all of the crowds!

One question for you, we are flying to CDG for the first time in Oct and plan on getting the TGV. Do i need to book this in advance? and how long after landing would you say i need to leave before leaving by train?

Kelly.

We landed at 4:30pm and to be on the safe side we booked the 6:05pm train. It's only a 10/15min walk from Terminal  2B, but you never know if there are gonna be any delays. The trains run quite frequently and you can check times and book at //http://www.raileurope.co.uk

Pete's Dragon

1st September - Paris visite

When booked a taxi for 8:15am. Luckily a couple of Spanish tourists were waiting outside and decided to lend us their unicorns. Very nice of them. We trotted playfully through the nearby fields all the way the Marne La Vallee train station. Got there just as the train was about to leave. Yes, another piece of good timing (yawn!).

Taking the travel advice of a friend we got off at Trocedero so as to get the nicest view of Le Tour Eiffel. Didn't realise how much of a walk it was, but the view was worth it. Plus we had 30mins before our booked time slot.

The last time we visited was on our honeymoon in 2004 (our first Disney adventure). That time we didn't get past the 2ns floor as Subi is afraid of heights. But all the credit to her this time because she braved it out all the way to the top ..... well almost. She went up to the open air part and then quickly went down the stairs to the level in-closed in thick, safe, flexiglass.

No Fear

Cigarette butts; nice

Next we walked along the bank of the Seine, looking for the subway station to Notre Dame. We had meant to go back and see the Arc De Triomphe, but we totally forgot. Ah well.  To highlight just how non-religious I am, this was the first time that either of my children had been inside a church. If you think that's bad, someone who will remain nameless lit 3 candles and only put 50 cent in the collection box. Tut-tut-tut !

Not really surprised that Japanese tourist need some extra and specific warning

Now for my pilgrimage. There were 3 bands that shaped my teenage years: Nirvana, the Prodigy and The Doors. I've seen The Prodigy, and I recently saw the Foo Fighters (close enough) but never during all the trips to DLP in the last 8 years had I made it as far as Pere LaChaise cemetery. That was about to change. We got directions to the Citi subway station but still managed to walk passed it twice. Nicest subway station EVER !

Made it to Pere LaChaise and had a gentle stroll to the cemetery gates, stopping to look at all the stalls that lined both sides of the street. The local cafes sell map for €2.50. I was tempted until it dawned on me - take a photo of the map at the entrance. Simples ! Still managed to get slightly lost, but did stumble upon the grave of Chopin.

Fred

Finally, we found Jim Morrison's grave. You can tell that you are close because there are metal railing surrounding it and the neighbouring graves to protect them from vandals (terrible).

Jim  :cry:

Afterwards we headed back to the subway, took a train to Nation and then the RER back to Disneyland. Got back to the hotel at 6pm. After a little rest and a quick freshen up, we headed into the Village for dinner at around 7pm. Since our luck had been so good we decided to try Planet Hollywood. And before you ask, yes there was no queue and we were seated immediately.  I highly recommend the steak, washed down with their blue cocktail thingy (x3). After buffets it was nice having someone bring you a proper plate of food. When we left, all the tables were full and the bar/waiting area was packed. Should have gotten here earlier.

Took the kids into the Disney Hotel to have a look around and then headed to Discoveryland while we waited for the sun to go down and the parades to start.

More long exposures without a tripod

Inspired by Forza, nowhere as good

We picked a spot against the railing on the outer ring on the main central hub near to Plaza gardens. The plan was to left the kids stand on the railing and watch the parade. I was convinced the CM wouldn't let anyone sit on the grass or flower beds, I was wrong. But I didn't feel bad about blocking their view - I picked an out of the way corner and they shouldn't be there in the first place. Didn't realise that we had picked the wrong side of the hub, and that the parade went around the opposite side. This is the reason this is a Near Perfect trip report, although to be honest I've never been a big fan of parades anyway.

My Disney Dream is for a blowdart

Only photos of the parade were of Minnie

I won't bore you with Disney Dreams details, if you've seen it you know how good it is. If you haven't - Youtube. Surprisingly I didn't cry, Subi was more shocked that I was as I've been quite emotional since I graduated from University in July (dunno why). I think that if I had been holding Elisha rather than Joshua I would have probably cried at the Tangled part.

As we headed back to the hotel our lucky timing finally let us down. We arrived at the bus stop just as the bus pulled away. Not only did this mean a 40min wait, but the amount of people trebled. The result - a bit of a squeeeeze.

Tomorrow was time for a nice lie in, and then our first visit to the Walt Disney Studios.

I don't know how Joshua managed this