WD Company buyout of DLP

Started by britincgn, August 24, 2012, 01:36:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

britincgn

dagobert

I guess that would be a good idea, but isn't there a French law that prohibits foreign majority ownership in French companies?

dagobert

What would happen to the debts? TWDC would only buy the shares and I guess they are starting with the ones owned by Prince Alwaleed, banks and other institutions. The ones from shareholders like us aren't a problem, because they are a very small part. Minority shareholders can be forced by law to accept an offer. Just because TWDC would own the resort, doesn't mean the future will be better. They still have to repay the debts and they would still not make enough money. Only the ownership is changed, but not the financial situation. TWDC already has the last word in decisions and due to the debts, banks would still have to agree on new projects. Although I think it would be a good idea, I can't see any advantage. Maybe investments from TWDC would be easier, since they don't have to use credit lines for that. So let's wait and see.

DopeyDad

It's encouraging that they are even considering it I think. Operating profits and a solid play to pay down debts could mean TWDC see owning the park as a way to finally get the payback that would make investment worthwhile.  It could become a real turning point. I'm probably wrong, but I think the French law issue relates to debt rather than ownership, is it something to do with TWDC can't waive the debt to another company?

ed-uk

I'd miss my shareholders club membership if EuroDisney went,  and I wouldn't feel apart of  DLP in the same way,   but that's a small mater in the bigger picture I suppose.  And what would we ended getting for the shares, possibly not much?
Ed & David

|Q|

Interesting. I'm trying to summon a wise Spirit on another plane.

Q

alternativerock123

The possible advantages is that the expansion of the park will be done BY the WD company, not from the "budget".
Paris wouldn't have to buy things such as costumes, floats from other parks and other royalties for music and stuff.

Honestly I think it's good news!
But bad for those with shares.  :?
31st Aug - 1st Sept 2010 = Kyriad Torcy (First Time <3)
11th - 14th July 2011 = New York Hotel
2nd - 4th Aug 2011 = Kyriad Torcy
31st Oct 2011 = Day Trip
13th March 2012 (Disneyland Cal)
10th - 13th April 2012= Hotel L'Elysée
30th May - 1st June 2012 = Hotel L'Elysée
31st Oct - 1st Nov 2012 = Residence Prestige
18th - 20th July 2013 - Residence Prestige
9th -11th Nov 2013 = Hotel L'Elysée (First Christmas Trip!)
Coming soon:
29th April - 1st May = Hipark Serris.

dagobert

Quote from: "alternativerock123"The possible advantages is that the expansion of the park will be done BY the WD company, not from the "budget".
Paris wouldn't have to buy things such as costumes, floats from other parks and other royalties for music and stuff.

I thought that too, but when TWDC gains complete ownership, they also get the debts. Honestly I doubt that the banks would be fine with the fact that Disney is investing in the resort, while Disney isn't repaying the debts. There are still 2 billion Euros to repay and I'm sure TWDC will not do that. They just spent a billon on DCA and now they are heavily investing in Shanghai. I'm still surprised that they will use 500mio to buy out ED SCA.  So I guess TWDC would still repay the debts with the money DLP makes.

Let's hope it's true, just because for a safer future for the resort.

|Q|

Quote from: "alternativerock123"But bad for those with shares.  :?

Why? If there's really a buyout the shares are goin to increase in value. Actually, it's possible that just talking about it can make them rise.

edit: user fultimate on micechat posted this

So, the shares are already reactiong to the [strike:3ev3r9l3]news[/strike:3ev3r9l3] rumour.

Q

isani

Could somebody explain to me why Disney didn't originally get full ownership? I understand that Disney had good experiences with this kind of a model in Tokyo, but I'm sketchy on the details.

ed-uk

Quote from: isaniCould somebody explain to me why Disney didn't originally get full ownership? I understand that Disney had good experiences with this kind of a model in Tokyo, but I'm sketchy on the details.[/quot

Disney didn't want full ownership.  WDC set up EuroDisney in which it is a major shareholder  with the agreement of the French goverment to run the resort,  and sold shares in Europe to help finance the project.
In Tokyo the resort is owned by the OLC  who pay Disney management fees and royalties. Originaly Disney did own shares in OLC, but I believe that they had to sell them in the early 1980s to help fight off a hostille take over bid.
Ed & David

alternativerock123

Quote from: "|Q|"
Quote from: "alternativerock123"But bad for those with shares.  :?

Why? If there's really a buyout the shares are goin to increase in value. Actually, it's possible that just talking about it can make them rise.

edit: user fultimate on micechat posted this

So, the shares are already reactiong to the [strike:3960hhyi]news[/strike:3960hhyi] rumour.

Q

Oh... that's good then. I thought I saw people say that the shares would go. Not sure why, but I must have misread the info.

But still, that's better. lol
31st Aug - 1st Sept 2010 = Kyriad Torcy (First Time <3)
11th - 14th July 2011 = New York Hotel
2nd - 4th Aug 2011 = Kyriad Torcy
31st Oct 2011 = Day Trip
13th March 2012 (Disneyland Cal)
10th - 13th April 2012= Hotel L'Elysée
30th May - 1st June 2012 = Hotel L'Elysée
31st Oct - 1st Nov 2012 = Residence Prestige
18th - 20th July 2013 - Residence Prestige
9th -11th Nov 2013 = Hotel L'Elysée (First Christmas Trip!)
Coming soon:
29th April - 1st May = Hipark Serris.

Josh

This is the best news we've had in a while. We'd be just like DL and WDW, run by the WD Parks and Resorts division. No one would be able to get in the way of what TWDC wants (which would mostly be a good thing). No one would be able to tell the management to concentrate on cheap little additions each year instead of expanding the resort.

Quote from: "dagobert"I thought that too, but when TWDC gains complete ownership, they also get the debts. Honestly I doubt that the banks would be fine with the fact that Disney is investing in the resort, while Disney isn't repaying the debts. There are still 2 billion Euros to repay and I'm sure TWDC will not do that. They just spent a billon on DCA and now they are heavily investing in Shanghai. I'm still surprised that they will use 500mio to buy out ED SCA.  So I guess TWDC would still repay the debts with the money DLP makes.
But I thought most of the debts were being paid to TWDC. So wouldn't they just... go away? Or are most of the debts to third-parties?
Disneyland Paris
    [li]January 2000, 2012[/li]
    [li]April 2012[/li]
    [li]August 2009, 2011, 2013[/li]
    [li]New Year 1997-98, 1998-99, 2001-02, 2002-03, 2003-04, 2004-05, 2005-06, 2006-07[/li]
Walt Disney World
    [li]August 2008[/li]

|Q|

Quote from: "Josh"This is the best news we've had in a while. We'd be just like DL and WDW, run by the WD Parks and Resorts division. No one would be able to get in the way of what TWDC wants (which would mostly be a good thing). No one would be able to tell the management to concentrate on cheap little additions each year instead of expanding the resort.

I don't think thay're goin to acquire the totality of it, not sure that is even possible. Just a large chunk.

Quote from: "Josh"But I thought most of the debts were being paid to TWDC. So wouldn't they just... go away? Or are most of the debts to third-parties?

The debts are with banks.

Q

ed-uk

The debts are with banks and hedge funds, i read somewhere that 50 banks are involved. We shouldn't get carried away here because it might never happen and WDC wont buy the company out unless it's to their great advantage, I should think. That's if it's really on the table.  if the shares go up on the rumour, so much the better.
Ed & David