One of the best trips in a long time (review June 1-3rd '12)

Started by david, June 07, 2012, 01:57:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

david

Just writing a quick review of my trip to the resort from early June, 2012
I've just come back from a three day trip, staying in Sequoia Lodge and there were so many good points it's hard to list them all- but also just a couple of disappointments...

Hotel
The renovated rooms in the Sequoia Lodge are fantastic- they're clean, airy and elegant with little Disney touches (with discrete images of Bambi characters on the wallpaper)- I was surprised how big our Montana room in the main building was; it must be the difference that a slimmer TV stand makes as well as the simpler, more modern decor. The breakfasts were good and the rest of the hotel is in good shape- and there seemed to always be characters (mickey, minnie and goofy) in the lobby which I know makes a big difference for family groups.
My only gripe was the lack of tea/coffee making facilities in the rooms (which I'd expect from a hotel they gets so many English guests) and during the day there was some hammering going on upstairs where they were still renovating some rooms. -- oh, and that awful park info video with a deranged shouting woman is still plaguing the TVs in the rooms.

Disneyland Park
Looks glorious- so much has been improved since my last visit in 2010 including the castle having been repainted, Cpt Hook's ship being rebuilt and everything is looking spick and span with a lot of attention clearly having been paid to tidying things up-- the only exception to this that i found was Storybook land, particularly the boat ride which sailed past overgrown, dirty and weed-ridden scenes that had severely lost their sparkle.

Having heard the rumours about a possible Star Tours 2 upgrade, I was surprised with how good the current ride is looking and working- there's nothing wrong with it at all and it remains one of the family's favourites, but mum was a little nonplussed that the cinema at the back of Discoveryland was going unused- despite the hotel tv, maps and signs advertising Captain EO still being there, so maybe it is time they did something with this neglected part of the park.

Space Mountain was bumpy and had no music on one of my rides, but it was still awesome, and It's a Small World seemed to have some lighting problems (I hadn't noticed this, but my mum was disappointed). Aside from that, the park is fantastic, including the lovely new parade and, of course, the astonishing Dreams show at nighttime--- Dreams is phenomenal- perhaps the best show I've seen anywhere! (although it did feel a little as though the park was winding down for the night long before the 11pm show)

Walt Disney Studios
I was really surprised with how much time and fun we had in Studios- unlike previous years I've been when the studios didn't have enough to keep you entertained for even half a day, we spent roughly half our holiday in the studios, thoroughly enjoying the Tower to Terror (which had pretty reasonable queues throughout the day) and the brilliant new Toy Story Playland area (not to mention the variety of shows such as Cinemagique and Moteurs Action!)

Despite having gone on Jubilee bank holiday weekend, it was mostly reasonably quiet (a busy Saturday, but quiet- albeit rainy- sunday and monday) and the castmembers were terrific, with some wonderfully creepy bellhops at the Tower of Terror.

It was a terrific holiday that, with the excellent condition of the resort and the improved hotel rooms, not to mention Disney Dreams (which would be worth the entry ticket by itself), was perhaps the best (that i can remember) of my 23 visits to the resort. Great stuff!

natalie1313

Sounds great, im glad you had a good time. I want to check out those new rooms at the sequoia now. The bellhops at Tower of Terror are always great :) I totally agree that disney dreams is worth the ticket entry! its the most amazing thing i have ever seen

gemma2806

Nice trip report! It sounds like you had a wonderful time especially if it was your best trip out of 23!!

I can't wait to go now but I still have 91 sleeps to go, roll on September!

Epcot_Boy

I'm glad to hear that you were impressed with the newly refurbished Montana rooms :)  I chose to book the Sequoia this summer purely because I thought it would be nice to stay in a new shiny clean room 8)  I'm pleased that it appears that it was the right thing to do :thumbs:
Thanks also for your report ;)

David