What do you Think of Aquanura compared to Disney Dreams?

Started by Robert97, May 31, 2012, 11:26:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pussinboots

Efteling is an interesting place, in that it is often the one park in Europe that achieves a level of artistic quality and storytelling that can measure up to Disney, yet in so many ways it is also the work of amateurs — which I do not mean in a negative way at all. It lacks a slickness, a corporate vibe, and that certainly has its charms. This is a beloved old bulwark of a park built and frequented by people who love it.

This show is an excellent example of that. You have the super high quality fountain show and the top-notch Efteling music, yet there's something reassuringly unprofessional in the clumsy order of scenes or the lack of anything other than fountains to maintain our short, short attention spans. There isn't the slightest hunch that marketing people are using the show to sell merchandise. It's through-and-through Efteling.

I think it and Dreams can live peacefully side-by-side.

Vegitabeta

Well said puss!  I know what you mean, Efteling has a way of doing things that are very different to Disney, and that is what makes it so charming.  Also it is right about different things stirring up different emotions in people.  Disney is known by much more of the world, so more people identify with it and its characters...heck, it has 5 theme parks!  Efteling is a standalone company who are doing really well, all things considered.

Thaliel

It seems dreams is getting even more competition in August:
//http://www.aquanario.de/

I saw an ad for it on TV just 2 days ago. I am not really planning to see it, Berlin is 2 hours from where I live, but it would be nice if ppl who do go to see it will give their opinion here later
<-Plz click

pussinboots

Quote from: "Thaliel"It seems dreams is getting even more competition in August:
//http://www.aquanario.de/

Very original name!

JelleP

Seriously..? Aquanario? That's just wrong... :')
[size=120]"Most men, they\'ll tell you a story straight through. It won\'t be complicated, but it won\'t be interesting either."[/size]

[size=120]jellep.nl - twitter - youtube[/size]

gldc

The video makes AQUANARIO seem really good in my opinion, well edited.
DLP Visits: Summer 2003 // April 2011 // Christmas 2011 as a Cast Member // April 2012 // April 2013 // Returning June 2014 to September 2015 as a Cast Member // February 2016

WDW Visits: Summer 2013 as a Cast Member // September 2015
DLR Visits: August 2013 // September 2015

My Cast Member blog - http://www.mepipe.com

Vegitabeta

Aquanario?! Lol yeah nice name...Here is the link if anyone wants to read my Aquanura review. http://eftelinguk.com/2012/06/02/aquanu ... r-verdict/

davewasbaloo

Nice review, though I was hoping it would be based on you seeing it live. I love it and frankly I don't like projections on water, does little for me, so I don't miss it here. What I did miss was hearing a sequence based on the flying dutchman. I look forward to seeing aquanura live one day.
since 2001 (many before that)

DutchBrit

Quote from: "Vegitabeta"Aquanario?! Lol yeah nice name...Here is the link if anyone wants to read my Aquanura review. http://eftelinguk.com/2012/06/02/aquanu ... r-verdict/

Good review, although it's JORIS and the dragon, not George! ;)

If the show is meant to be about Efteling memories, then I guess that may explain why the Flying Dutchman and Joris were left out: being relatively new, not many people have built up many memories around them? I haven't even been on them yet myself, although that is more down to the fact that when I go to the Efteling these days I'm always with a very short person who isn't allowed on them. On the other hand, Ravelijn is even newer and that's there. But they couldn't be expected to include every bit of music, I suppose.

You say that 12 minutes will be an advantage in winter, which is true, although it's not going to be actually possible to do it at all when there's a really cold snap. The last few winters we have had a least a couple of weeks where every lake and canal pretty much over the whole of the south has been frozen solid to several centimeters. That would make fountains a bit of a problem. Although maybe the light effects would still work, which would also be rather pretty under ice!

*TIMMIE*

Joris en de Draak has a English counterpart, which is George and the Dragon. In other words Joris is the same as George in this case. So, this is no misstake.

As I have read the winter would not be a problem for Aquanura. The part where the fountains are is said to be heated. :)

I hope they change the show once a while with different pieces of music. I personally love the tracks of George and the Dragon and Fata Morgana. But also the track of Vogel Rok should fit in well. Or in time Hartenhof.

Maarten

Aquanura's soundtrack is really wonderful in my opinion. The orchestral version of 'By the Sleepy Lagoon' is genius, and the soundtracks of Droomvlucht, Villa Volta and 'Danse Macabre' fit in beautifully. I understand some foreigners may not feel a connection to it, but generations of Dutch recognise it instantly. Shame though that the soundtrack of Fata Morgana isn't used yet. The facade of the attraction on the lake's shore could have been incoorporated by using projections during that scene? 8)

DutchBrit

Quote from: "*TIMMIE*"Joris en de Draak has a English counterpart, which is George and the Dragon. In other words Joris is the same as George in this case. So, this is no misstake.

Well so do Assepoester, Doornroosje, Roodkapje etc. But when you are talking about the versions in the Efteling, I think one should stick to the Dutch names!

QuoteAs I have read the winter would not be a problem for Aquanura. The part where the fountains are is said to be heated.

They'd have to be heated to boiling point to combat some of the cold we've had recently, and even then that wouldn't be enough to stop the water freezing in the air, especially at night. Nor would I really fancy standing around to watch at minus 17 (the lowest we got to here, about 40 kms from the Efteling). But you can never be certain that this sort of show won't have to be cancelled occasionally: that will even happen to Dreams at some point!

Vegitabeta

Quote from: "DutchBrit"
Quote from: "Vegitabeta"Aquanario?! Lol yeah nice name...Here is the link if anyone wants to read my Aquanura review. http://eftelinguk.com/2012/06/02/aquanu ... r-verdict/

Good review, although it's JORIS and the dragon, not George! ;)

If the show is meant to be about Efteling memories, then I guess that may explain why the Flying Dutchman and Joris were left out: being relatively new, not many people have built up many memories around them? I haven't even been on them yet myself, although that is more down to the fact that when I go to the Efteling these days I'm always with a very short person who isn't allowed on them. On the other hand, Ravelijn is even newer and that's there. But they couldn't be expected to include every bit of music, I suppose.

You say that 12 minutes will be an advantage in winter, which is true, although it's not going to be actually possible to do it at all when there's a really cold snap. The last few winters we have had a least a couple of weeks where every lake and canal pretty much over the whole of the south has been frozen solid to several centimeters. That would make fountains a bit of a problem. Although maybe the light effects would still work, which would also be rather pretty under ice!

Lol, well, my site is aimed at the UK folk so I use the English where I can.  Never really thought about the ice situation but maybe they will have figured a way around that.

ed-uk

Does Efterling close in the winter? I thought DLP was just about the only theme park in Europe to stay open all year round. I know British theme parks close in the winter.
Ed & David

DutchBrit

Quote from: "ed-uk"Does Efterling close in the winter? I thought DLP was just about the only theme park in Europe to stay open all year round. I know British theme parks close in the winter.

No, not any more. For the last few years it did April to November with a winter opening for a couple of weeks around Christmas/New Year, but then they built a lot more on-site accomodation, so now the park is open all year.