Disney Characters on strike, spoiled our day..

Started by jackielondon, May 28, 2012, 01:41:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jackielondon

We spent a lot of money making it to Disneyland Paris, we had hopper tickets for 1 day / 2 parks. It ended up being similar to Chessington for a day out.

There was no parade - 'due to unforeseen circumstances', no characters walking around. We had no idea the staff were on strike, the firework display was on fortunately.

Just wondering, can we get any money back for this let down??  :x

15MagicalYears

It's quite sad really that some people seem to think the only difference between a regular theme-park and a Disney theme-park is that there are Disney characters in the park, shame really, there's so much more to discover than just characters.

Although you felt it ruined your day, you can't get your money back due to a cancelled parade. I hope you had a good day otherwise though and enjoyed the new Disney Dreams show!

carrydee38

so are they still striking i thought that was all sorted

jackielondon

Quote from: "15MagicalYears"It's quite sad really that some people seem to think the only difference between a regular theme-park and a Disney theme-park is that there are Disney characters in the park, shame really, there's so much more to discover than just characters.

Although you felt it ruined your day, you can't get your money back due to a cancelled parade. I hope you had a good day otherwise though and enjoyed the new Disney Dreams show!

Actually yes 'some people' do feel that seeing the Disney characters around the park make a great deal of difference plus excitement for our children...We queued up and enjoyed the rides, but I would not go again, due to the lack of Disney excitement. On the other hand our hotel , 'Magic Vienna Circus Hotel' was wonderful, as was being in France -  as was the Eurostar.. Disneyland Paris however left a lot to be desired sadly.....Thorpe Park / Chessington same as... Sorry our feelings...

jonathan

Although in my opinion Disney parks whether it be Paris, WDW etc are better than Chessington and Thorpe Park (and I really like both Chessington and Thorpe)  DLP would lose a lot of its lustre with no parades or character interaction for me too.  So on that point you are right jackielondon.

The parades and character meets are all part of the Disney experience and its a real shame that you missed out on that part of the magical experience.

Din97

ooooo what a let down! so the strike's is still on?? i hope when i go this year this situation would have changed!
Disney is just not the same without the characters wandering about for a bit of fun!
1994 ~ New York Hotel
2004 ~ Hotel Santa Fe
2006 ~ Hotel Santa Fe
2012 ~ Dream Castle Hotel
2013 ~ Magic Circus Hotel
2014 ~ Magic Circus Hotel
2015 ~ Dream Castle Hotel

jonathan

I think the strike was only on for a couple of days ion May.  Sadly for jackielondon it seemed to be the day/s that they were there

jackielondon

Quote from: "jonathan"Although in my opinion Disney parks whether it be Paris, WDW etc are better than Chessington and Thorpe Park (and I really like both Chessington and Thorpe)  DLP would lose a lot of its lustre with no parades or character interaction for me too.  So on that point you are right jackielondon.

The parades and character meets are all part of the Disney experience and its a real shame that you missed out on that part of the magical experience.

Thanks for understanding what I mean...

Aurora1

I agree with jackielondon and jonathan. The characters do make a difference, I like them too and get excited when we see someone. That s why it`s DLP and not Europa Park (they have a mouse there) or else.
But that does not mean, I don`t appreciate the other aspects of the park.
And for someone goimg the first time, I could imagine it is the characters that made them pay attention to an add or commercial. That is what made it for us 5 years ago.
Also thanks to this forum I came across other things, like the hidden Mickeys, or the stories behind rides or the park.
Aurora1

jonathan

Quote from: "jackielondon"
Quote from: "jonathan"Although in my opinion Disney parks whether it be Paris, WDW etc are better than Chessington and Thorpe Park (and I really like both Chessington and Thorpe)  DLP would lose a lot of its lustre with no parades or character interaction for me too.  So on that point you are right jackielondon.

Thanks for understanding what I mean...

no problem at all  ;)

flickmcktur

Jackie
I'm sorry that happened to you in you situation I would have hit the roof and marched straight off to guest services to complain but I'm a hot head. Its defiantly the biggest factor when we go to Disney and the experiences and time the kids have had with the characters has been so special. I would say a complaint is always worth it we had a problem where Aladdin didn't show for a meet and greet and after complaining we were given over 100 euros worth of stuff for the kids and they attempted to arrange a private meet and greet but he was getting ready for the parade. Disneys theaming may far out class anything at the Merlin parks but I agree Merlins rides are better. Having said that you have to go back because you can make some seriously special memories my son and daughter talk about the time they met different ones all the time. If nothing comes of your written complaint I would be really surprised and would suggest if and  when you go back complain in park (i would possibly take in proof I was there that day if I had it) and they will prob find some characters for you to get a private meet and greet. You can do Disney on the cheap and still have a grate time if laying out all the money again has put you off. We go to village parisen its a basic campsite with chalets to but its clean and friendly (although take a phrase book cos not all the staff speak English). We have managed to pick up free tickets from sky and p and o so this next trip ferry tickets a day at Disney in both parks and 4 days camping comes to a total of 140 for 4 of us!! In January we went on the sun newspapers deal and it only cost 25 for the tickets and the ferry not including the cost of the papers it was a day return but you could always just book another journey and return when you like(if you decided to do that make sure to get the first paper and book your date online asap that way you have your pick of the dates and will deffo know when your going) they also do coach trips for those who don't drive. I have a really good meet and greet tip at the cowboy cookout they do a desert/crepe character meet and greet its 19 euro a head so not cheap but cheap by Disney standards when you go just wait around let all the other familys leave cos the characters just keep coming back out. My kids have played follow the leader with mickey and been the only kids in sight with woody. Last time mickey was stood all on his own tapping his foot cos there was no one to play with. Every time we go we go there now you meet Mickey Minnie Goofey Pluto and Woody and normally a random character or two, Timmone was funny he jumped in a buggie as it was being pushed out the door and kept putting his hands over my husbands eyes when he was eating which my kids found hilarious. Oh and please ppl don't post this round everywhere I'm taking my half sister for her first ever visit soon (shes 22) and I want her to get some magic time and Jackie and her family too if they go back. Hope this helps convince you to try again.

jackielondon

Thankyou so much for your support, I have complained, but have hear nothing from Disneyland Paris.... thanks for taking the time to respond, disney have not responded at all so i shall wait and see! X

jackielondon

We have had a reply from Disney for free tickets for a one day park, to compensate for our let-down, however we cannot afford the travel again, so it is worthless really, a token for the children would have sufficed, still we wont go again, we have learned our lesson. Plus we had a great time at Chessington World of Adventures a few weeks ago, a good lesson learned.....

jonathan

Its a real shame that this happened and completetly soured your Disney experience.  Its a complete one off expereince that wouldnt happen again (well you'd like to think anyway!) and it's a real shame it happened to you and put you off.  Disney should really have offered some kind of compensation at the time you were there.

TinkerbellsMom

So sorry to hear that the Disney characters were on strike.  I cannot believe it. Of course if you travel to France you have to abide by french laws, which permit strikes.  Personally, I think that with so many people out of work, those that choose to strike should be replaced by people desperate to find a job.  It is so sad for your kids not to be able to interact with the characters, and not get to see the parades,which are a big part of the magic for children.  I hope Disney proper buys out DLP and improves the response to situations such as yours.  US Disney may not be able to stop the stirkes, but at least they are much better at providing compensatory action. Sorry your vacation was ruined.
 :(