Backlot to become Marvel Studio? (Rumour)

Started by |Q|, April 27, 2012, 08:05:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

|Q|

Yesterday i've seen the Avengers movie, and it really looks like Marvel Studios has a nice cash cow in their hands (third biggest opening EVER in the UK).

On DCP, since a couple of weeks, they're talking about the rumor of a complete retheming of the backlot area into Marvel Studios lot.

If the movie gets as successful as it looks like (more than any other Marvel Studios movie til today), since they cannot yet put Marvel rides in the US (in Anaheim they don't really have much space, in Orlando most of the characters are still used in Island of Adventure, so Disney is still forbid to put them in their parks), I see Disney pushing forward their superheroes in our resort, and when they do it they must try to do better that Spider-Man at IoA. That would be pretty sweeet :P

Q

Anthony

Funny, I just came to post about about this. Although I think it's also being covered in the WDS revamp topic.

This behind the scenes video caught my attention. It's more like a sneak peek at what a Marvel Avengers Stunt Show Spectacular could look like...

[youtube:1venj2hh]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9eKsv-icXQ[/youtube:1venj2hh]
They even used the same man-falling-on-car trick!

Retheme the French sets to American city streets, put the stuntmen in Captain America costumes... easy. And so much better than a characterless (and I mean that in a lacking character, rather than lacking a franchise, sense) James Bond rip-off. Moteurs... Action! as it stands is very generic, really.

Armageddon would also be easy to retheme to Marvel. Rock 'n' Roller Coaster less so, especially since it's popular enough already. They'd be spending money where it doesn't really need to be spent. It's the exterior Backlot square area that needs work. But maybe tying it all together a Marvel superhero city would be the best way?

|Q|

Quote from: "Anthony"Rock 'n' Roller Coaster less so, especially since it's popular enough already. They'd be spending money where it doesn't really need to be spent. It's the exterior Backlot square area that needs work. But maybe tying it all together a Marvel superhero city would be the best way?

I totally see it rethemed to the bifrost/rainbow bridge from Thor.

Q

Malin

Well the Parks love to jump on the band wagon of a popular franchise. And Avengers looks like its going to be a big hit for Disney and Marvel. But I do have to question how Pixar would feel about a Marvel direction. Especially since John Lasseter loves to push his own ideas. I would not be against Marvel being used at the Studios and in my view out of all the parks this would be the best fit. But can we leave out Marvel and just have it themed to the Avengers instead. I wish they would add Avengers set peices to the Tram Tour. No one cares about Reign of Fire or Dinotopia.

|Q|

Quote from: "Malin"But can we leave out Marvel and just have it themed to the Avengers instead. I wish they would add Avengers set peices to the Tram Tour. No one cares about Reign of Fire or Dinotopia.

Uhm, i don't get it. How? I mean, you can do a "Marvel theme" without the Avengers, but you really can't do the other way around. Like saying "can we leave out Disney and just have it themed to Mickey and Donald instead"

Quote from: "Malin"I wish they would add Avengers set peices to the Tram Tour. No one cares about Reign of Fire or Dinotopia.

I wish they get rid of the Tram Tour altogether.

Q

Malin

QuoteUhm, i don't get it. How? I mean, you can do a "Marvel theme" without the Avengers, but you really can't do the other way around. Like saying "can we leave out Disney and just have it themed to Mickey and Donald instead"

To clear up my confusion. I meant a theme for the Avengers without any of the other Marvel Characters like Spider Man and the X Men. Leave it Iron Man, Captain America, Thor, and Hulk.

|Q|

Quote from: "Malin"To clear up my confusion. I meant a theme for the Avengers without any of the other Marvel Characters like Spider Man and the X Men. Leave it Iron Man, Captain America, Thor, and Hulk.

well, yeah, of course it's in disney's best interest promote their own franchises. I think they're going for the characters that have already a "movie look" that they own, and not for a "comic book look" à là Island of Adventure:

I mean... PLEASE NO!!! :shock:

(but i just can't wait to see Iron Man and Hulk as walkaround characters... freaking awesome is goin to be)

(if it comes true)

Q

ed-uk

I don't know much about Marvel and I've never been a fan, but from what I can gather this could work out well for the WDS, if the movie/ franchise turns out to be big success for Disney, and I'm sure Disney want to make a big return on their investment. It could just be what WDS needs, and work well along side Pixar (another highly successful franchise) and Toon Studio, and get the crowds flooding through the gates.
Ed & David

mickeyspal

Quote from: "Malin"Well the Parks love to jump on the band wagon of a popular franchise. And Avengers looks like its going to be a big hit for Disney and Marvel. But I do have to question how Pixar would feel about a Marvel direction. Especially since John Lasseter loves to push his own ideas. I would not be against Marvel being used at the Studios and in my view out of all the parks this would be the best fit. But can we leave out Marvel and just have it themed to the Avengers instead. I wish they would add Avengers set peices to the Tram Tour. No one cares about Reign of Fire or Dinotopia.

I agree; the Marvel heroes in the Avengers are very topical just now, and would be good to see something at the studios backlot. The tram tour is quite boring, only good part is the catastrophe canyon. We need more excitement on the tour to make it worthwhile.
1993 + 2005 - Hotel Cheyenne
1995 - Walt Disney World Florida
1997 - Hotel New York
1998 - Hotel Santa Fe
2000 + 2006 + 2012 + 2014 - Sequoia Lodge
2002 + 2004 +  2009 - Newport Bay
2007 + 2015 - Hong Kong Disney
2007 - DLP (1 day visit)
2017 - Disneyland Hotel - Cinderella Suite
2018 - Disney Cruise- Mediterranean
2019 - Disneyland Hotel
2020 - Disney Merrytime Cruise - Caribbean

disney-john

Think a Marvel zone In the studio would be great, Marvel has staying power, and a lot of history. Compared to the one-hit wonder that Avatar will turn out to be...
"I only hope that we never lose sight of one thing - that it was all started by a mouse." - Walt Disney

jj554

The addition of Marvel characters and attractions would be a huge plus in my eyes. I love the films and I love the characters. I think it would draw in more male visitors, particularly around the late teens/early 20s, and help to show people that the park isn't just for kids. The movie has just had a record breaking opening weekend in the US and the Marvel brand is a sure fire money spinner for the park, not to mention the vast range of action figures, clothes and other merchandise that goes with it. I'd love to see a Marvel Vinylmation set!

Quote from: "Malin"I wish they would add Avengers set peices to the Tram Tour. No one cares about Reign of Fire or Dinotopia.

I wholeheartedly agree. The tram tour is a great concept but the movies/shows featured are just not popular enough at all. It's embarrassing really. Some of the sets are impressive but you want something that gets people snapping away with their cameras saying "I love that movie!", not "Dino-what?". Armageddon is quite fun but a bit outdated in my opinion, and I agree that Moteurs is very generic and could do with livening up.
Trips so far
April 2011 - Sequoia Lodge (First ever DLRP trip)
Nov 2011 - Newport Bay Club (Mickey's Magical Fireworks and Bonfire 2011)
Sep 2012 - Hotel New York (20th Anniversary Celebrations)
Nov 2013 - Hotel Cheyenne (Mickey's Magical Fireworks and Bonfire 2013)
Dec 2015 - Disneyland Hotel (Disneyland at Christmas)

Anthony

It's funny there used to be such opposition to Marvel characters being integrated into a Disney park. I guess over the last few films people have been coming round to the idea, especially with the slightly Rocketeer-esque Captain America. Disney is finally getting to do what it's wanted to do for the past two decades with these huge blockbusters.

Anyway, I hope this seals the deal for park attractions:

QuoteThe Avengers powers to US box office record

Hollywood adaptation of superhero comic overtakes Harry Potter finale with $200m takings

Hollywood's latest adaptation from the world of comics, The Avengers, has smashed the box office record for the biggest US opening weekend by a margin befitting a film trading heavily on cacophonous superhero-style walloping.

The $200.3m (£124m) debut is by far the biggest American opening to date, shooting past the $169.2m record for the debut of last year's Harry Potter finale. A $200m take from all new movies is considered a great weekend for the business as a whole, so The Avengers has effectively redefined the standards for a blockbuster debut.

The Avengers added $151.5m outside the US over the weekend. That raised the film's worldwide haul to $641.8m in barely a week and a half, more than its Marvel superhero forerunners, Iron Man, Iron Man 2, Thor and Captain America, took during their entire runs.
How much did Reign of Fire make again...? ;)

CafeFantasia

Yeah, that will seal the deal for Marvel attractions in America. But, on the news today of Disneyland Paris making a huge loss, can we really expect any new attractions beyond Ratatouille?

Anthony

Well they still very specifically mention the "multi-year expansion of Walt Disney Studios Park", don't they?

People seem to be reading very glumly into those particular financial results. I wouldn't have expected any different during January to March, it was always going to be a lull before the 20th, but unfortunately the freezing weather and other things impacted results more than it should. On 1st April, everything changed. The resort practically re-opened again. We won't know until later this year whether it's really working...

jj554

Quote from: "Anthony"Well they still very specifically mention the "multi-year expansion of Walt Disney Studios Park", don't they?

People seem to be reading very glumly into those particular financial results. I wouldn't have expected any different during January to March, it was always going to be a lull before the 20th, but unfortunately the freezing weather and other things impacted results more than it should. On 1st April, everything changed. The resort practically re-opened again. We won't know until later this year whether it's really working...

Amen to that!

I know that those six months cover Christmas but really I assume that's where the bulk of the money will have come from, and either side of that are some pretty dreary months - November, January and February. So December has to provide a significant portion of that revenue.

Fingers crossed for some better numbers come six months time to reflect high season and the launch of the 20th!
Trips so far
April 2011 - Sequoia Lodge (First ever DLRP trip)
Nov 2011 - Newport Bay Club (Mickey's Magical Fireworks and Bonfire 2011)
Sep 2012 - Hotel New York (20th Anniversary Celebrations)
Nov 2013 - Hotel Cheyenne (Mickey's Magical Fireworks and Bonfire 2013)
Dec 2015 - Disneyland Hotel (Disneyland at Christmas)