Strikes causing problems in DLP

Started by DedicatedToDLP(Steve), March 30, 2012, 05:02:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pfspock

Well, then you should probably tell Disney to treat their employees better and give them fair raises (4% = greedy? come on) so that there will be no more need for a strike. And considering the 25% raise for Sunday work, do you know what they get right now? No? Me neither. And you don't know if Disney offered them any raise at all. So, again, don't be too quick to judge.
That Disney still acts like an American company that can treat its workers like rightless subjects is not the employees' fault.
I'd be angry, if a parade gets cancelled, if attractions are closed etc. but that's the general idea of a strike: Lower guest satisfaction which will force Disney to negotiate, or they will lose customers. But don't blame the employees alone, it's Disney's fault as well. Disneyland is a business, nothing else. They try to maximize their profit, their employees try to make their share. Nothing more, nothing less.

ford prefect

The cast members knew the terms and conditions of employment when they took the job.  No one forces them to work for Disney.  If they don't like the work then go elsewhere.

Equally, no one has the right to demand a refund because of industrial action unless that action directly impinges on them.  For example travel plans or hotel provision.  Entertainment, or lack thereof, is not a justifiable reason for refund.

Finally, I think Aurora86 is owed an apology for the rude comments stated earlier and I trust that an apology will be made to her inbox
enjoy yourself, it\'s later than you think!

ford prefect

As far as pay rises go, I haven't had a pay rise for 3 years.

paterdave2

Quote from: "Auroura86"And you know what? I didn't come on here to be called names. I came on this forum because of how passionate I am about Disney. Forgive me for having very strong opinions. I'll shut up in future. This "local comedian" has had it. How dare you. Good bye to this forum and good riddance

Ever heard of sarcasm??????

Ofcourse you are intiteld to have your opinion, even if it is strong as yourself has put it.

Quote from: "DutchBrit"I agree that you wouldn't get compensation anyway, but also think about who you are asking for compensation from. The Disney company. The ones the strikers are fighting with. So if you make the company lose money, then you are actually helping the strike action, because it might work out cheaper to give the strikers what they want....

And it's hardly only workers at Disney who could inconvenience you. The ferry workers or airport staff could also cause problems. Should they be banned from striking too? There are names for societies where that is not allowed, but it's not "Democracies".

Also useful to keep a sense of proportion about these things.

That is excactly what I ment in my first post on this subject.
Why is this any diffrent than when any other company's employees go on strike.

@15MagicalYears : Speaking for myself. At my work I get a 100% bonus for working on a sunday. In most contries the sunday is still a day to spent with the family etc so that's why a lot of companies give a bonus for working on a sunday.
So I think 25% is not that mutch and just like Dagobert said and I stated more than once.(but in other words)
There's no doubt that the CMs over reacted last weekend, but that was just a small group.
My own Radiostation on Radionomy. listen to AYFM on: http://ayfmradio.playtheradio.com/index.cfm

ford prefect

Quote from: "paterdave2"Ever heard of sarcasm??????

Ever heard of the lowest form of wit??????

paterdave2

Quote from: "ford prefect"
Quote from: "paterdave2"Ever heard of sarcasm??????

Ever heard of the lowest form of wit??????

In the country I live in we have a saying perhaps I translated it wrongly but the conance is prety simalar

If I would translate it word for word it would say
Are you the funiest at home.
it is really meant sarcastic but she can always report me is she wants.
And sorry no I havent heard about that but that is because I come from the netherlands
My own Radiostation on Radionomy. listen to AYFM on: http://ayfmradio.playtheradio.com/index.cfm

ford prefect

The phrase

"Sarcasm is the lowest form of wit"

http://dictionary.cambridge.org/diction ... wit-humour

has been wrongly attributed to Oscar Wilde however it is a rather unkind thing t say in English.

pfspock

Quote from: "ford prefect"As far as pay rises go, I haven't had a pay rise for 3 years.
so what? you didn't get one, no one else is entitled to one?

And as far as the terms and conditions go, well, with this reasoning there would have been no raises or substantial improvements in working conditions in the last 150 years. Come on

paterdave2

Wel where I live sarcasm isn't the lowest form of wit as you put it.
It is more a way to say: hello look at this in a some what funny way.
Yes you always can take it personal but if she had read the reply and than I mean really read it she could have known that it was ment like a joke.
and no I am not apoligising for something that I have said and other people misunderstood.

ford prefect

No, I am merely pointing out that during extremely difficult economic times the idea of expecting a pay rise is unrealistic.  I am self employed. I work six days a week for 12 to 13 hours a day.

It is a very competitive world, I manage 3 businesses, am a school governor and a member of a local racing club.  I work very hard to provide a good living for my family and contribute to my community.

I have no right to expect more than I earn.  No one owes me a living.

I never said no one s entitled to a pay rise, but if you think that you have a god given right to a pay rise then you had better sit down and have a coffee.

A pay rise is not automatic, I have just been forced to reduce the hours and salaries of two of my staff.  

If I ad not done that I would have had to make one redundant.

Which is better, 2 jobs at a reduced salary or 1 at a historically average wage.

History does not guarantee the future.  Just because people have had pay rises in the past it does not mean an employer can afford to give them in the future.

The needs of the business outweigh the needs of a few unrealistic employees.

ford prefect

Quote from: "paterdave2"Wel where I live sarcasm isn't the lowest form of wit as you put it.
It is more a way to say: hello look at this in a some what funny way.
Yes you always can take it personal but if she had read the reply and than I mean really read it she could have known that it was ment like a joke.
and no I am not apoligising for something that I have said and other people misunderstood.

If it s misunderstood perhaps that should be explained so other people's feelings are not hurt.

We should always explain ad apologise for misunderstandings.

gingajen

Quote from: "pfspock"
Quote from: "ford prefect"As far as pay rises go, I haven't had a pay rise for 3 years.
so what? you didn't get one, no one else is entitled to one?

And as far as the terms and conditions go, well, with this reasoning there would have been no raises or substantial improvements in working conditions in the last 150 years. Come on

A valid point. However, if every single employee in every company became fed up with their working circumstances and went on strike, everything would come to a stand still. I don't get a pay rise unless my sales targets are met. If I don't reach my targets, I don't get a pay rise. I can't then go on strike because I don't get a pay rise, for one, I knew the conditions of me getting a pay rise and for another all my employer would say is if I don't like it perhaps I should seek employment elsewhere. In the current climate there is no 'elsewhere'!
I genuinely dont mind the cast members strike action, if they did it outside of the parks. I've never heard of action such as this taking place on company grounds. Normally the picket line is on the boundary isn't it?

dagobert

When Disneyland held the press event, they invited journalists from all over Europe and so there were also some from Germany, Austria and Switzerland.
Now for the 12th birthday tomorrow one of the newspapers released an article about the press event last weekend. The article also mentions the strike. The German Disney employee who catered the German speaking journalists told them the reason for the strike.

Die vertraglich verankerte Gehaltserhöhung von elf Prozent, die Mitarbeitern jedes dritte Jahr zusteht, wurde auf drei Prozent gekürzt.
http://derstandard.at/1333528723987/20- ... haftsmotor

That's how it translates: Disney and the employees had a contract that stipulates a pay raise of 11% all 3 years, but DLP cut it down to 3%. That's a reduction of 8% and that's why a small group are on strike.

I know many here still don't understand the CMs, but I would also be angry if I have a contract that gives a raise of 11% and then it gets cut down to 3%. I don't know if that's true, but I guess the German Disney employee isn't lying to the journalists. At least I hope so.

11% is a huge raise in today's economy, but in my opinion it's Disney's fault. They have to be more careful with contracts, especially what the contract stipulates. They have to think first and then hand out a contract.

I'm glad to live in a country where hardly any strikes are held, because the relationship between the companies and the unions is very good and in recent years both sides did everything that we got a pay raise, even during hard economic conditions, and that not a lot of people got fired.

One last word to the Sunday work. Over here you also get the double wage for Sunday work.

This was my last post in that topic, because cultures are different when it comes to strikes and I guess we all have different opinions on that, especially when it comes to the perfect Disneyland.

Catalina

I've been following this thread for a while and am pretty disappointed by how people have started to talk to each other.
It's a sensitive subject and every one is entitled to his or her opinion. Some see it from the workers point of view, others from a guest point of view and I think both points are legit to some extend. And for the rest: can't we all just agree to disagree?

My personal opinion is that everyone has the right to strike and should do so if everything else fails. What bothers me about the Disneyland Strikes is the way it is done. It seems apparent that they don't strike at any given day but chose specific dates where it will hurt the most, like the last ever OUAD Parade or the 20th Birthday today, 12th of April (though as far as I know, no strikes have happened yet, so that might have just been a rumor)... and the apparent delight of some of the strikers at the cancellation of the Parades. I think that if you work in a Place like Disneyland, the Hotel and Restaurant Industry, you should still always - at least in the back of your mind - have the Customers in mind.
So strike: yes, definitely, it is a way to get heard. But like this? I disagree.

As for the current economy in Europe over all, I might be naive, but I expect people to have some sort of understanding and also some sort of loyalty to the company they work for, especially if this company is struggeling. But again, just one girls humble opinion.

Josh

The striking in the resort hub wasn't so bad on the 12th. They were just there with vuvuzelas while security held them back and redirected guests around them. It didn't spoil my birthday, so I was fine with it.
Disneyland Paris
    [li]January 2000, 2012[/li]
    [li]April 2012[/li]
    [li]August 2009, 2011, 2013[/li]
    [li]New Year 1997-98, 1998-99, 2001-02, 2002-03, 2003-04, 2004-05, 2005-06, 2006-07[/li]
Walt Disney World
    [li]August 2008[/li]