No Oscar for Pixar this year

Started by Pete's Dragon, January 24, 2012, 03:11:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pete's Dragon

The nominations for the 2012 Oscars have been released, and shock - horror there's no mention of Cars 2. While I personally think the film was a blatent advertisment for future merchandise, was below par from a Pixar standard as far as the script went, and was specifically aimed at a demographic (boys 4-8) unlike other Pixar films which are aimed perfectly at everyone, I still feel it deserved a 'nod'. Because to me even sub-par Pixar is still greater than Dreamworks at it's best (with the exception of How to Train your Dragon, thanks to Lilo and Stitch director and Lion King production designer Chris Sanders).

Anyway, here are the nominations:

Best Animated Feature Film of the Year Nominees:

A Cat in Paris (2010)

Chico & Rita (2010)

Kung Fu Panda 2 (2011)

Puss in Boots (2011)

Rango (2011)

My money's on Rango.

never2old

So strange not seeing a Pixar film in that list... I agree that Cars 2 was not their best work, but still... And no Disney nominations either!

I've only seen Kung Fu Panda 2 and Rango from the nominees (though I might still try to see Puss in Boots, it's still showing in the cinema here). So I can't really comment too much on the winners... I loved Rango though, so I'm with PD on this one.

It is kind of great that there are so many different studios making great animation films...

Pete's Dragon

Quote from: "never2old"So strange not seeing a Pixar film in that list... I agree that Cars 2 was not their best work, but still... And no Disney nominations either!

I've only seen Kung Fu Panda 2 and Rango from the nominees (though I might still try to see Puss in Boots, it's still showing in the cinema here). So I can't really comment too much on the winners... I loved Rango though, so I'm with PD on this one.

It is kind of great that there are so many different studios making great animation films...

Lol, I didn't even notice Puss in Boots was there. Its ok, the first 40mins are really slow but it picks up when the plant the magic beans. Personally think that if it had been a Disney film it would have flowed better (unbiased opinion of course :-))

dagobert

I'm not surprised. Cars 2 is one of the weakest Pixar movies ever. It was just made because of the greedy Walt Disney Company. Cars is a very profitable franchise and without John Lasseter's love for Cars and the dictation from TWDC, Pixar would have never made such a bad movie. It was even worse than some Disney produced movies. We can only hope Brave will be a real Pixar movie again.

JelleP

Rango was, indeed, absolutely stunning!
Cars 2 was... eehm... weak. Very weak. Extremely weak. I own every Pixar movie on DVD/Blu-Ray, but Cars 2 was the first on witch I thought it was a waste of my money...
[size=120]"Most men, they\'ll tell you a story straight through. It won\'t be complicated, but it won\'t be interesting either."[/size]

[size=120]jellep.nl - twitter - youtube[/size]

CafeFantasia

Rango LOOKED absolutely stunning, and had a couple of great action sequences, but it wasn't funny, it was boring and I didn't care about any of the characters. A bit like Cars 2 really :-)

peter

Rango was amazing, and so funny. Cars 2 was not great, but I think brave will revive pixar.

never2old

Of course Pixar's short La Luna is nominated, as is the song from the Muppets movie... So Disney and Pixar may not be going home empty handed.