Christmas Holiday Dec 7th to 11th

Started by fairymom, December 15, 2011, 11:58:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fairymom

Hi, just got back late on Sunday night from a fab 4 nights/5 days in DLP. I'm not sure if I'll ever get around to writing out the long version of the trip report (I even took notes this time!) but will give a quick round up here anyway.

Hotel: Sequoia Lodge
Review: It was lovely! Second time staying here. This time we got 2 interconnecting rooms on the ground floor of the North Wing. They were refurbished so had flat screen multi-function TV's, lovely new bathroom, mini-bar (horrendously expensive - €3.40 for 500ml Vittel and if you even just remove something to look at it you're charged for it - should be child locked/proof!). We had outdoor access from our corridor so didn't need to traipse back down corridors and navigate stairs/lobby etc.
We swam on Saturday afternoon, the pool was not too crowded and the water was actually warm! We were almost the last ones in the pool by the time we left at 5pm. The parks were packed so it was a lovely way to spend the hours before returning to the parks for the evening opening hours till 10pm.
Breakfast was the usual fare, very nice everything and we didn't wait too long for a table. We had breakfast in the Plaza Gardens on 2 mornings and were shocked by the mile long queue on the first day. They also hadn't the same great selection of foods that SL had. We booked breakfast in the parks for 9.45am so we could do all the rides in EMH and then have a brunch as the crowds began to arrive.

It was a very wet trip! I would recommend everyone to bring waterproof snow boots if going in the winter. I had these and my daughter but my son had (supposedly waterproof) hiking boots and I ended up buying him wellies for €25. My sister had to buy 2 pairs for her daughters!  :!:
Advantages of the bad weather were that the parks were very, very quiet so we didn't have to queue much for anything really.

Highs of the trip: Fantillusion! Meeting Donald in the Studios!! Lovely hotel rooms with warm baths, soft towels and comfy beds!! Meeting lots of characters! Taking my kids on BTM for the first time and going with my son on Crush's Coaster ("That was freaky!", he's age 6  :lol: ). Being in the park till 10pm on Saturday night and my daughter conking out during Captain EO  :lol:
There were loads and loads and loads of highs...

Lows: queuing for over an hour to meet Santa -VERY boring as queue moved so slowly and little in the form of entertainment on the way.. there were some characters along the way but they weren't always there and Santa and the characters seemed to be always hopping out on a break/substitution. Kids were going nuts, we were going nuts..
Cowboy Cookout - awful, awful, awful. Horrible food that you had to queue for AGES to buy, came on a tray and paper wrappings like McDonalds except the price was through the roof. We had Mickey, Minnie, Goofy, Woody and Pluto. Pluto and Mickey didn't come to our table at all. The whole meal was just depressing as it was so expensive for what you got. Go back to Café Mickey every time!!!!!

I will try to do a day to day breakdown if I only get the time, but again, I would recommend a trip to DLP at this time of year, just make sure you have warm and waterproof clothing with you and all should be fine!

willieboy42

Hi Fairymom,

thanks for mini report and glad you had a great time.....been swithering about wellies for the kids myself for a while and now think its the way to go. Look forward to reading more and seeing any pics.... :D  :D  :D

WILLIE

MrsPirate

Thank you for sharing, sounds like you had a good time despite the weather.

Shame about the Cowboy Cookout, we've been there twice for the tea party and it's been brilliant, did you go for lunch?

Off Site June 1992
Santa Fe, July 2009
Cheyenne, June 2010
Newport Bay Club Admirals Floor, July 2011
Sequoia Lodge, Christmas November 2011
Sequoia Lodge, June 2012
Hotel New York, Christmas November 2012
Hotel New York, Halloween 2013
Disneyland Hotel, Christmas 2014 and Christmas 2015
Newport Bay Club Compass Club, Christmas 2016 and Christmas 2018