how to expand WDS?

Started by peter, August 28, 2011, 12:29:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

peter

so, i was thinking recently about WDS, and a thought came to my mind. once they build ratatouille, where do they go? at what point in the park will the next expansion area be in, and what will it be?

what i am suggesting is that people leave their own ideas to the question how do thet expand WDS.

i'll start off:

i think that the next expansion should be at backlot, with a path between RnRC and the stunt show. the area should be a marvel land, called stark expo. it would be similar or even larger in size of cars land(so HUGE  :D )and it would have the big stage like in iron man 2, where a marvel stunt show would take place. there would be many pavillions, and each one is either a shop, restaurant, cafe, meet and greet or an attraction. a mini parade would feature marvel characters, and there would be a variety of different types of rides. a flying coaster themed around iron man would take centre stage, and the X-men pavillions would include a shooter ride a bit like buzz lightyear. spiderman would also have a major ride (AHEM not at all like that at universal studios :^o ) i think at backlot because until they are ready to either move STT or just remove it, they can't do much elsewhere, and stark expo because its such an oppurtunity to get marvel in the parks, and gives the chance for so much expansion of the land(as new films are released, new superheroes become available, and if it is well thought out, there will be enough space for them

so now its your turn,                           how do you expand WDS? and why?

Vegitabeta

I would have it much more movie themed, if that makes sense.  As in the feel of the streets they have in the Studios in WDW, it just feels so much more Hollywood, and Paris just has that small area around ToT which is themed like that.  I would also whack a lake in there somewhere and create their own version of Fantasmic, simply because it would keep guests there into the later hours.  Get rid of the Stunt show, totally gut the Backlot ride (who liked Reign of Fire anyway?!) and make RnRC more like it's big brother my including street signs inside.  Ok so that isn't a massive expansion, but I think it is a start and a good push in the right direction!

mattboywonder

Get Toy Story Midway Mania into Toy Story Playland!!
Disneyland - 1991, 1995, 2001, 2002, 2009, 2010, 2012
Walt Disney World - 1998, 2000, 2010, 2011, 2012
Tokyo Disneyland - 2008, 2011, 2012
Disneyland Paris - 1997, 2002, 2007, 2008, 2009 (March, May, Halloween & Dec), 2010 (Feb, July, Oct & Dec), 2011 (April, July & September), 2012 (March, April & July & New Years Eve) 2013 March
Hong Kong Disneyland - 2007, 2008

peter

TSMM would fit well, and provides an e-ticket without any new developments, etc. am i right in thinking that its relatively high capacity, because it would definitely draw the crowds away from busier rides.

vegitabeta, love the idea of a lake.

i was thinking, maybe they could put a thing about cg animation into TSPL. maybe it could show how they made toy story, with some of the original artwork. that would help give playland more meaning in the studios. it could exit through the barrel of monkeys

disneyisthebest

Buena vista street ,lake,tot land and tsmm ,crush's coaster fastpass,new lands

sebassah

What I would add is the citizens of HOllywood street entertainment and just some places were you could 'walk and watch'. At WDS bigger brother in orlando I just love to walk around and taste the amazing atmosphere. The streets of America the Hollywood boulevard its all full of details and give you that "Hollywood that never was" feeling.

Attraction wise I would just go for TSMM and Soarin. Both true crowdpleasers and with low development costs.

th13teen

I would go with the motor action stunt show, and intwin that with some sort of Racing area/ride, in the form of probably Nascar because it would suit the ultra 'set' of American Nascar, an expansion could see large grandstands and up to date facilities in the centre of the large oval, which could feature mutliple world first additions, I could see that extend from where currently Rock 'n' rollercoaster ends. Therefore we would und up with something like test car in WDW!

Whoknew?

red/lightred: park area (current/2002)
grey: walking areas

brown: toon studio expansion (2007)
orange: animation courtyard placemaking (2007)
purple: tot (2008)
pink: hollywood boulevard (2008)
blue: toy story playland (2011)
turquoise: ratatouille (2014)

so here are my ideas:

- philippe gas mentioned that it could be toy story related, so probably toy story mania. but where should it go? because it definitely should be place inside toy story playland i suggest it between the parachute tower and rc racer

and after that? (or simultaneously :))

- to have enough room for tsmm the hollywood boulevard will take a left turn with a fountain
- the hollywood boulevard has a restaurant and a backdrop at the end
- connected to the hollywood boulevard is the san francisco street set (as talked about by some imagineers some years ago)
- the studio tram tour is bushed back a bit further and the station is at the end of the san francisco street set
- and last but not least: because i think the plaza in production courtyard is way too big and (if ever) the missing sound stage is going to be build, the crowd needs to be attracted to it. so i suggest a water body with fountain play (as during the day in front of the castle) and demolish the stage. that would also solve the cinémagique problem as more people would move towards it before entering backlot.

so here it is:

and after that?

from this point it will be hard to push the studio tram tour even further back without demolishing reign of fire. but there are other opportunities inside the park:

- build missing sound stage between cinémagique and stitch live
- replace armageddon (yawn)
- replace costume building
- production courtyard placemaking

|Q|

Quote from: "Whoknew?"- philippe gas mentioned that it could be toy story related, so probably toy story mania. but where should it go? because it definitely should be place inside toy story playland i suggest it between the parachute tower and rc racer

I think it's most likely it's goin to go between RC Racer and the Blue Barrel, where now is just woods.

Q

Josh

I thought they weren't allowed to remove the forest? That's what I keep hearing from people.
Disneyland Paris
    [li]January 2000, 2012[/li]
    [li]April 2012[/li]
    [li]August 2009, 2011, 2013[/li]
    [li]New Year 1997-98, 1998-99, 2001-02, 2002-03, 2003-04, 2004-05, 2005-06, 2006-07[/li]
Walt Disney World
    [li]August 2008[/li]

Whoknew?

Quote from: "Josh"I thought they weren't allowed to remove the forest? That's what I keep hearing from people.

thats what i heard, too. They only got partial permission to remove some of the woods for ratatouille and toy story playland.

fire6

When they'll really expand our studios, they could add Grizzly Gulch. Great theming and atmosphere and the coasters seems to be very good too... ;-)

Columbiad

Quote from: "fire6"When they'll really expand our studios, they could add Grizzly Gulch. Great theming and atmosphere and the coasters seems to be very good too... ;-)

I did an expansion plan on the Home Imagineering forum, in which i proposed a Glacier Gulley-themes Grizzly Gulch, themed as the set of a (not really) up and coming film, You'd pass through the backstage area, where props and snow machines have been left by the crew, before walking completely into the land and being entirely submerged in the environment.

The main ride would have you take the place in the cast as ski/snowmobile stunt doubles for the main star, who has refused to do the stunts and refuses to emerge from his trailer (you hear him on the phone to his agent inside as you pass it).

The film being filmed would have a yeti/Tibetan sub story, and could incorporate elements of Expedition Everest.

|Q|

Quote from: "fire6"When they'll really expand our studios, they could add Grizzly Gulch. Great theming and atmosphere and the coasters seems to be very good too... ;-)

But how does it fit in the studios theme?

Q

CafeFantasia

@Columbiad

That's the same idea I suggested some time back. But I think if Disney are going to bring Big Grizzly Mountain to Disneyland Paris (which they should) then it would be better to put it in Adventureland, with an Expedition Everest theme, replacing Temple du Peril. Then that whole section of Adventureland could have an asian/tibetan style, which would look great with France's cloudy weather.

Also, imagine all the cool interactions the Big Grizzly Mountain coaster track could have with the Disneyland Railroad? Rather than going past and seeing Temple du Peril in the distance, the Disneyland Railroad could be surrounded by Big Grizzly Mountain, which would be very exciting.

Temple du Peril needs to go. It's off-the-shelf, it's not Disney enough, it's too rough and violent, and it's not something the whole family wants to ride together. Consequently, you rarely see it mentioned in the Top 10 attractions at Disneyland Park, which shouldn't be the case with a major coaster attraction.

[youtube:2253zu3t]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hmM-iJeyCA[/youtube:2253zu3t]