Is Mickey Mouse Outdated?

Started by PabloPaul, July 27, 2011, 11:25:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PabloPaul

When I think of Dsneyland I think of Mickey Mouse. When children think of it they think Buzz Lightyear.

Isn't it about time Disney addressed the issue that the branding of their parks and there branding in general is so heavily centered around a character that children can not relate to. All there is Mickey Mouse Clubhouse on the Disney channel which stands out no further then Handy Manny or Fantasia which, in the age of Pixar does not appeal to anyone under 12.Butlins

The best option I can see is a top notch Pixar feature. Otherwise, in 50 years time Mickey will as outdated as Butlins.

:twisted:  :?  :oops:

Aveen2008

I have a niece and nephew who are ages 2 and 3 years old, they both know and love mickey and minnie mouse and they love toy story characters too. I personally don't believe Mickey mouse will become outdated and he cannot be replaced, after all - it all started with a mouse!
Luv Aveen xoxo

stacey-claire

I take my 10 year old brother with me to Disneyland and he is very much a toy story child, he adores buzz, but he does also know who mickey is, and he loves mickey, he couldn't wait to meet him, i think that any child that is taken to Disneyland will be fully aware of who mickey is, he's a legend lol, i don't think he will ever be outdated, its just not possible, by the way butlins isn't outdated either, i went 3 weeks ago and it was awesome lol :belle: xx
To see fairies, you have to belive in fairies

Santa Fe- March 2010
Cheyenne- December 2010
Next trip- July 2012 (wish we could go sooner)

minnieme

I took my then 7 year old along with my 3 year old niece this year, and my niece loves Finding Nemo, Toy Story and Monsters Inc. She is mad on Disney Princesses too. But the most important character for her was Minnie Mouse. All she talked about was meeting Minnie and even better when Mickey was with her. My 7 year old is now into Tron, rather than Buzz Lightyear (who he used to adore), but again, same as my niece, he was more interested in where he could see Mickey. I dont think Mickey will ever become outdated. Mickey is Disney and can never be replaced or "bettered".

April 2011 & June 2012 Hotel New York
May 2013 Disneyland Hotel
Aug 2014 Disney Magic Med cruise
Aug 2014 Disneyland Hotel
May 2015 Disneyland Hotel

PabloPaul

Then what about a Pixar reboot of Mickey. He is one of the only characters that isn't restricted to a specific storyline such as Aladin or the Beast.

However, my idea would be something like: Instead of characters such as mickey mouse being a men in suita they are actually real and they consider the day to day activities of the park i.e eurodisney their day job. At night, when the park is closed they get do there own thing and the film is based around all of evil characters such as Jaffar trying to take control of the park. It is upto Mickey, the rescuers etc to defend the princess who are hiding in the castle.

If you based the scenary on the actual layout of the park you would introduced viewers to the parks and everything in them including all the characters from all of the films. There could be subplots like Captain Hook defending his boat from the constant threat of the Pirates of the Caribean which is positioned nearby.

What would your ideas be?

DisneyBud

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1774478/ That very film may be happening soon!

PabloPaul

Crap! Is it possible they got that into production since my post?!? :cry:

mattboywonder

Mickey is a classic!  He always gets the biggest cheers and clapping when he appears in shows
Disneyland - 1991, 1995, 2001, 2002, 2009, 2010, 2012
Walt Disney World - 1998, 2000, 2010, 2011, 2012
Tokyo Disneyland - 2008, 2011, 2012
Disneyland Paris - 1997, 2002, 2007, 2008, 2009 (March, May, Halloween & Dec), 2010 (Feb, July, Oct & Dec), 2011 (April, July & September), 2012 (March, April & July & New Years Eve) 2013 March
Hong Kong Disneyland - 2007, 2008

Tinkswishes28

Mickey Mouse cant be outdated, He is where it all began , and is adored by children and adults alike. Alot of people adore disney pixar movies, but they can never replace what started it all.
2005 DLRP

MissDisneyisMagical

Mickey mouse is definately not outdated, i love him more and more everytime i see him, he always gets the biggest cheers. It all started with a mouse after all.
<center><embed src="http://www.satisfaction.com/glittermaker/show.swf?message=Kirsty&font=http://www.satisfaction.com/glittermaker/fonts/plainn_lib.swf&glitter=http://www.satisfaction.com/glittermaker/glitters/glitter78.swf&clickURL=http://www.satisfaction.com/glittermaker/&type=0&clickLABEL=Glitter Text Maker&flashLABEL=Satisfaction.com&bevel=0&shadow=1&glow=1&blur=0&fade=0&blink=0&gb=2&ga=0.6&gi=0&gc=16210663&bb=2&bc=0&sb=7&sa=0.7&si=0&sc=0&blb=7&ls=0&fontsize=60&num=78" quality="best" wmode="

capitrueno

Over the years, my favourites have always been Goofy and Donald, but Mickey Mouse is a classic, and as such, it'll never get old. My daughter, who is 7 months, already loves him. Anytime MM Clubhouse is on, she just laughs and tries to touch the TV screen. That's something she won't do with any other cartoon or character.

Last night, I used my projector to play a MM Clubhouse episode on the wall and it was so special for her. I can't wait for march to arrive. We'll be taking her to DLP to celebrate her first birthday and I'll love to see her reaction when she first meets Mickey.

Last month I went to the Disney Store and a lot of children were asking for Mickey plush toys and singing the Clubhouse tune. I even heard a kid saying what he wanted was "a toodles" :ears:
Ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls, Disneyland Paris proudly presents our spectacular festival pageant of nightime magic and imagination in thousands of sparkling lights and electro-synthe-magnetic musical sounds. The Main Street Electrical Parade!

girlinleeds

My daughter is 3 and her favourite character is mickey mouse she loves lots of disney characters but mickey is the one she really wants to see when we go to disneyland.i think he holds a special place in most peoples hearf

petals

I prefere the cuddly characters like stitch, wtp, fab 5 etc to the face characters but last year anytime I went to Magic Kingdom in wdw the wait time for Mickey Mouse was 5 mins and princess wait time was 60 mins so it seems poor Mickey isn't as popular as he once was.

BlaiseCarlisle

While my favourite Disney character is Donald Duck, imho Mickey is still the best choice as Mascot. While he may not be quite as in date as he previously was, it will still be a long time before he's actually out of date, assuming it ever occurs.

capitrueno

The ultimate answer to this question was released by Disney yesterday in the shape of a new Mickey Mouse short. Wonderful!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhjTlW10cUg
Ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls, Disneyland Paris proudly presents our spectacular festival pageant of nightime magic and imagination in thousands of sparkling lights and electro-synthe-magnetic musical sounds. The Main Street Electrical Parade!