Disney Dreams! — Nighttime Spectacular

Started by Festival Disney, April 14, 2011, 01:54:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ed-uk

I think it's the strength of the Disney name, the characters and story telling that help make Disney theme parks so popular,  that's borne out by the numbers of people who go. Why is the Disney name so famous? In my view it's because of the films and theme parks.  Who in the last 70 years has grown up and not know who Pinocchio is, Peter Pan, Snow White, Mickey Mouse and Winnie the pooh. So who would be surprised to find these characters in their theme parks, or rides based on successful Disney films. If Efteling made films what would they do?
Ed & David

Josh

Disney probably want to use their popular franchises to attract more visitors. In the original Disneyland when it first opened, the characters were all in Fantasyland, because that was the story of Fantasyland: a place where fictional characters come to life. The rest of the park was about more realistic or general concepts and stories.

I'm fine with the mixture of films and original stories that we have now in the Parks, but dave is right about them taking over the parks lately, and I hadn't actually noticed that until I started coming to this forum. ^_^'

What I really admire about DLP is that all four rides in Frontierland are part of one epic story that's much more detailed than the other lands which have stories that mostly only provide a setting (except, Main Street, of course).

Anyway, as for Dreams, they might use Peter Pan as a way of flying into different stories. I can imagine how the fountains would help do that. @InsideDLParis posted a photo of another projector above the Passports building. It looks like the Castle Stage will be used as a viewing point for Dreams as well.
Disneyland Paris
    [li]January 2000, 2012[/li]
    [li]April 2012[/li]
    [li]August 2009, 2011, 2013[/li]
    [li]New Year 1997-98, 1998-99, 2001-02, 2002-03, 2003-04, 2004-05, 2005-06, 2006-07[/li]
Walt Disney World
    [li]August 2008[/li]

DutchBrit

Quote from: "ed-uk"If Efteling made films what would they do?

The Efteling company do make films, or at least TV series. And the answer is that they put the characters in the park: eg The Spookjes Boom and the new little shows in the Spookjes Bos and they turn them into merchandise which is sold in the shops. Actually I just saw that they are now making a series around their logo figure, Pardoes, which is going to be shown on the Nickelodeon channel next week.

Like it or not, that's what all parks have to do to survive.

DopeyDad

I think if a part of the franchise is going to be used, and lets face it in a visuals based nighttime show it is, then Peter Pan could provide a quite classy story and 'world' to hinge the show on.
It's a classic piece of literature and the movie created some fantastic visuals and music, real hooks that could be used in the show to create emotional punctuation so to speak. Maybe Lion King could do something similar too but I'm glad actually that they're not using Pixar or some of the other options, just because I don't think they'd give quite as good a back drop to it.

CafeFantasia

This just in from @InsideDLParis. Nice looking building. I'm not sure if that wooden arch really fits the style of Main Street, U.S.A. though. It kind of looks like you've stumbled into a garden centre. Anyway, it's a new permanent addition to the park, so I mustn't complain. Change is good  :D

pussinboots

Nice! I'm sure they'll have some greenery climb up there come springtime, Alan. Victorians loved gardening, right? It reminds me quite a bit of Paradise Park in California Adventure... Even the colors of the structure are very Paradise Pier. Well, the new Paradise Pier of course.

In any case, let's imagine for a moment how they would have dealt with this ten years ago. They probably would have disguised it as a large birthday cake. Or a circus tent. Or a present with a big bow on top.

And are we to expect some sort of large projection device to come hovering out of the roof each night? Or what is it for exactly? I mean if merely having a "control room" were so important, surely they would have needed one for any of the previous Central Plaza shows.

littlemermaid83

What exactly is that buiding for?  It doesn't look like it will blend in very well.
Tomorrow, tomorrow, I love you, tomorrow,... You're always a day closer to my next Disney trip!

DedicatedToDLP(Steve)

I believe that's the projection building that will control all the lasers and presumably all the lights and fountains too.

Glad they've found some new paint, perhaps they can head over to Discoveryand with it.
Dedicated to DLP - Celebrating Disneyland Paris

Hotel Santa Fe 07/05, 11/11 and 05/12
Hotel Cheyenne 07/02, 11/02, 07/04, 12/05, 07/06, 10/06, 10/07 and 09/10
Sequoia Lodge 12/03 - Honeymoon Suite
Hotel New York 11/12
Off Site 05/13

peter

lol, i have to agree. discoveryland looks more aged than anything else at dlp. who'd have thought that metal can get rusty???

CafeFantasia

That building to me looks like it's the Control Room for Dreams! It's too low to the ground to be somewhere they'll project video or lasers from. I would imagine it will hold computers and equipment similar to this; the Control Room for the World of Color at Disney California Adventure:

Anthony

Quote from: "pussinboots"I mean if merely having a "control room" were so important, surely they would have needed one for any of the previous Central Plaza shows.
There is an existing, much smaller control room on the other side of Central Plaza (photo). I must have been added in the birthday cake/circus tent era you describe, so actually takes up space of what should be the pavement. Hopefully it'll be removed come next year to free up more viewing space.

The new building is a pleasant surprise, and will look great if hopefully dressed up with more plants or flowers. Story-wise, I guess it could be the Central Plaza gardener/park ranger's accommodation?

pussinboots

You know, I must have passed that thing a thousand times and have never given it a second thought. I suppose you just instinctively assume it is another one of those pretzel stands that haven't been open for business since 1996. Interesting.

That picture must have taken you quite a bit of time to find, by the way. I can't imagine where one would begin to search.

It's not that ugly, although that's probably because it isn't directly tied to a specific festival, anniversary or similar. I still cherish my vision of a Toon Circus-era booth disguised as a candy-colored tent.

DGRavenswood

Toon Circus... now there's something I haven't thought of in a long time...

Anyway, it does look good! It really attracts attention, though... I wonder how many guests will step over the fence to have a look inside? The old one sure had its way of not making you curious at all!
David G. Ravenswood
Host, Ravenswood Manor

Twitter | Facebook

"Without a doubt ... the most inclusive online experience of DLP Frontierland." –Jeff Burke

Robert97

Here are 2 more recent pictures.

Credit @InsideDLParis

I like the look of the building and can't wait for more updates through the coming weeks and next year. Now we have to wait till they bring all the tech equipment, not sure if they will construct the fountains first or put the equipment in.

I have an idea what we can call the building atm mission control :D

Lorum

Disneyland Paris begins with the 20th Anniversary announcements in Spain. The famous TV show named "Pasapalabra" on Spanish television TeleCinco - //http://www.telecinco.es/pasapalabra - ("En Toutes Lettres" on France 2 - //http://programmes.france2.fr/en-toutes-lettres/ -, or "Passaparola" on Canale 5 - http://www.mediaset.it/brand/canale5/pr ... a_34.shtml -), which means literally "Pass-the-word", announces a Disney show special, based on DLP's 20th Anniversary to debut on December, 20th. In the advert, TeleCinco and Disney use some images from WoC. This confirms that DLP is using its new nighttime spectacular as the main attraction for the anniversary.
"If you can dream it, you can do it"