Why do DLP not sell Mickey Ears?

Started by 15MagicalYears, April 11, 2011, 11:48:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

15MagicalYears

I recently wondered if anyone knows why Dlp don't sell the iconic Mickey Ear Hats? They are so popular in the US parks and have been around for as long as I remember, so why don't Dlp have these? I love that you can customize them in the US too.

If you don't know what I'm talking about :

pussinboots

That's a good question. They're a staple Disney souvenir, and personally I'd rather see a sea of people wearing these than those ridiculous Goofy things or fuzzy Sorcerer's hats. Although I suppose they're more practical in Paris winters.

I don't know if they ever did sell them, but they haven't in a very long time — I recall searching for them in the mid-'90s.

Martyn

They do sell the fluffy ears, though they have a small hat on them, same as Minnie's ears having the bow.

Though I agree, plain Mickey ears are a must!

Laura678

Quote from: "Martyn"They do sell the fluffy ears, though they have a small hat on them, same as Minnie's ears having the bow.

Though I agree, plain Mickey ears are a must!

I think the ears you are talking about are the the ones that are like hairbands...as opposed to the"cap" style ears
[size=150]All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them - Walt Disney[/size]

mattboywonder

THe whole point of these hats is to have your name stitched on the back - they are a Disney tradition that I have never seen at DLP.
Disneyland - 1991, 1995, 2001, 2002, 2009, 2010, 2012
Walt Disney World - 1998, 2000, 2010, 2011, 2012
Tokyo Disneyland - 2008, 2011, 2012
Disneyland Paris - 1997, 2002, 2007, 2008, 2009 (March, May, Halloween & Dec), 2010 (Feb, July, Oct & Dec), 2011 (April, July & September), 2012 (March, April & July & New Years Eve) 2013 March
Hong Kong Disneyland - 2007, 2008

Anthony

I'm sure they do sell (or have sold) these ears in some form, they're just nowhere near as popular as in the US. There were some multi-coloured ones for Mickey's Magical Party a few years ago, weren't there?

The fluffy sorcerer hats do seem to be the Paris equivalent.

Edit: Had a look through my 2009 photos and you can just see them here:

They weren't particularly nice looking and didn't appear to be flying off the shelves, but then who wanted to spend money on merchandise with the Mickey's Magical Party logo anyway?

mattboywonder

Quote from: "Anthony"I'm sure they do sell (or have sold) these ears in some form, they're just nowhere near as popular as in the US. There were some multi-coloured ones for Mickey's Magical Party a few years ago, weren't there?

The fluffy sorcerer hats do seem to be the Paris equivalent.

Edit: Had a look through my 2009 photos and you can just see them here:

They weren't particularly nice looking and didn't appear to be flying off the shelves, but then who wanted to spend money on merchandise with the Mickey's Magical Party logo anyway?

Yep, I do remember them being sold at DLP now - they also had them for the 15th anniversary with silver ears.  I don't think they do the black ones where you can have your name stitched on.
Disneyland - 1991, 1995, 2001, 2002, 2009, 2010, 2012
Walt Disney World - 1998, 2000, 2010, 2011, 2012
Tokyo Disneyland - 2008, 2011, 2012
Disneyland Paris - 1997, 2002, 2007, 2008, 2009 (March, May, Halloween & Dec), 2010 (Feb, July, Oct & Dec), 2011 (April, July & September), 2012 (March, April & July & New Years Eve) 2013 March
Hong Kong Disneyland - 2007, 2008

littlemermaid83

They do sell them ears, I have Halloween ear hat that I picked up last year in the park. I also saw some Pink princessey ones too.
Tomorrow, tomorrow, I love you, tomorrow,... You're always a day closer to my next Disney trip!

15MagicalYears

It's a shame they don't push them as top souvineirs, I've searched for them my last couple of visits and couldn't find them anywhere in the resort. Where as they were everywhere in wdw and even had stores solely dedicated to them. I'll ask about for them next time  :D

littlemermaid83

Quote from: "15MagicalYears"It's a shame they don't push them as top souvineirs, I've searched for them my last couple of visits and couldn't find them anywhere in the resort. Where as they were everywhere in wdw and even had stores solely dedicated to them. I'll ask about for them next time  :D

I found our Halloween ones in Frontierland. The Princess ones I can't remember but we did see them cus my Daughter asked for them.
Tomorrow, tomorrow, I love you, tomorrow,... You're always a day closer to my next Disney trip!

Owain

In october they had toy story and halloween themed ears  :)

hannah'smum

I found some mickey mouse ears with toy story images on them in march when I visited. The only shop I saw these in were in the toy story playland shop, barrell of monkeys. My daughter loves them!  :D

Alfie

I went to the park 3 weeks after it opened when I was about four with my family, and in every picture, my brother and I had the plain black ears with our names stitched on the back in gold. His ears fell off on Peter Pan's Flight... I still look out for them when I go on it!

They look so much better than the coloured ones!

Timbo

I have a pair from 1991 !! They have a pre opening logo on them for EuroDisney !! but have never really noticed them around the park nowadays.

davewasbaloo

When DLP opened you could get the ears including stitching at Ribbons and Bows on Main Street and also at the stand between Dumbo and the Tea Cups in Fantasyland. They did not sell well, and were withdrawn a few years later. I have 2 pairs, one with the Euro Disney logo and one with the first DLP logo.

Then in the late 90's early 00's, they had black ones, but only children's sizes. As a collector of ears (I have 20 different designs from WDW and DL, including Groom Top hat ears), it frustrates me.

They then finally reintroduced them with silver and blue ears for the 15th, we bought 3 pairs. Then various designs have been released since. Currently (well 3 weeks ago), they were selling pink princess ones and Toy story Ears. Check out my trip report and you will see pictures of me wearing my newly procured Toy Story Ears. I bought them in Star Traders in Discoveryland. I wanted them last year, but regretted not buying them, so when I saw them on the 1st day of the trip, I made them mine!
since 2001 (many before that)