DLP Entertainment fan meeting 02 April 2011

Started by Kristof, April 05, 2011, 12:58:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kristof

During the weekend of 2 and 3 April the Disney Magical Moments Festival was launched for the press and a group of fan website owners got invited as well.  I was among one of them (Anthony unfortunately couldn't join us), so it was a group of webmasters and moderators from France, Spain and Belgium.  Among them were people from Disney Gazette, Disney Central Plaza, Disney Magic Interactive, Designing Disney Blog, DLRP.mforos and magicforum.

At 2 pm we were expected at Salon Mickey for a special presentation by Emanuel Lenormand and Christophe Leclercq, both show directors for DMMF, about the new entertainment offerings this year.  It later turned into a general entertainment Q&A.

First the guys introduced themselves.  Emanuel worked in the early '90s for Walt Disney World and Euro Disney, where he became a Dance Captain.  Early 2000 he was promoted to show director and wrote and directed quite a few well known DLP productions like Cinéfolies, Starring Cruella Devil, the Disney Villains Halloween Showtime and last year's Disney Showtime Spectacular.  

Christophe Leclercq worked as a dancer at the Moulin rouge when he applied for a job at the soon-to-open Disneyland Paris.  Unlike Emanuel, he didn't do parades but most of the early shows like C'est Magique and the Videopolis production: Beauty and the Beast.  He later became a show director and was responsible for most of the old pre-parades (Lion King, Hercules, ...) and short lived Imaginations Parade.  He was also the director for several fireworks shows: Wishes, Enchanted Fireworks, ...

Parade and show design
- Christophe roughly explained how a parade or show is born.  The show director assembles a team of several DLP departments, like mechanics, electricians, costumers, etc. From that stage a script is written, along with the initial concept for the music.  The script should be able to be described in 5 sentences according to Christophe.  A producer then oversees the production budget and does not involve the show director in theearly stages, because it would interfere with the creativity.

Music recycling
- Music is the one of the most expensive parts of a show. That's why a cooperation  between the different Disney resorts around the world was set up, so music could be exchanged, as well as ideas for shows and parades.
- Emanuel, who directed It's Dance Time in Discoveryland, said the Japanese team loved that show and was looking into bringing it to Tokyo Disneyland.

Halloween
- Someone asked if Mother Gethel would be introduced in this year's Halloween show, but Emanuel declined, saying although she's a great character in the movie, she wouldn't fit in the show.  
-There are plans to replace Frollo by a more "interesting villain".
- Mickey's Magical Celebration will remain unchanged.

Christmas
- Mickey's Magical Celebration will be performed, but with a special ending (assuming this will be the Castle Lighting).

Tarzan La Rencontre
- New, young acrobats, more daring.
- Show has been tweaked.

Disney Characters
- Christophe explained why they opted for a Genie face character.  A test was done with the normal Genie, but he didn't fit in with the other 2 face characters: Merlin and Fairy God Mother.
- The idea for Hook as a face character comes from Disneyland's Fantasmic.
- It takes 2 hours to put the make up on for the Genie.
- Someone asked if the talking Mickey would ever make it to Paris, but both guys declined because the current technology is very expensive and fragile.
- The Angel character will still show up in the parks during special events.
- All the characters originate from Florida and are very expensive.  That's why they usually adopt them at the same time as the other parks to force the cost down.

The stages
- There are currently no plans to remove Central Plaza stage.
- No shows planned for Festival Stage and Castle Stage.
- The lampposts on Central Plaza are staying too as they are part of the park's story.
- Emanuel explained how they had an argument with the horticulture department about the hub's magnolia trees because they obstructed the view of the stage.  In the end 3 of the 4 trees got sick, so they were removed none the less.

Seasonal entertainment
- Kids' Carnival and the Easter season will not return.  Kids' Carnival had low guest feedback and it rained during most of the days it was on.
- Although they both love the small events like Easter, they have to make decisions that will suit the budgets and guest expectations.

Videopolis
- They explained the Videopolis was a difficult situation, because the stage is located in a restaurant, the Food department has a saying about it as well.
- A new show will be performed on the stage next year, but it won't be The Legend of the Lion King.

The Enchanted Fireworks
- Will be performed for the last time this year.
- New type of show next year.

The Lucky Nugget Saloon
- Emanuel would love to bring a new show to the Lucky Nugget stage, but just like Videopolis, it has to involve the Food department who're not too willing to have a show in there.
- He also said each year it's brought up during a meeting, but gets turned down immediately.

Cinéfolies
- Cinéfolies is not coming back.

Cinémagique and Animagique
- The stages over at the Studios were quickly discussed.  Christophe said nothing is planned to replace Cinémagique, but he did say it would be a great venue to do a big show because it's an amazing theatre.
- When some mention Animagique being replace by Philharmagic, Emanuel's face turned red and explained how much he loves the show and it's possibly one of the ideas that's on the table.

And then one hour later our Q&A came to end.  It was really great to see how open and relaxed both Christophe and Emanuel were with our questions.  The people over at Corporate Communications who arranged this meeting did a really great job taking care of us all, so a big THANK YOU for the invite!  Let's hope the next fan event will be even bigger and involve even more fans from all over Europe.

davewasbaloo

No view of returning the music acts to Main Street then I assume. Is Kat still with entertainment? I must confess, I feel very let down by the offering this year across the board, and given these guys experiences, that is even more suprising.

Shame Cinefolies are gone, I really used to enjoy them.

all the product of people loving the rubberheads I suppose (and budget issues too).
since 2001 (many before that)

dagobert

How did it work in the early days of DLRP to have shows in the restaurants?

In my opinion the food department shouldn't be involved anywhere except for food, because that's really bad in Paris. Disney should cut their power or replace the managers and then they should concentrate to improve the food quality. It works in all other Disney parks to have shows in restaurants, except, what a surprise, in Paris.

What lamposts on Central Plaza are you talking about? I didn't expect that the stage will be removed, nevertheless it still ruins the view on the castle.

I'm glad to hear that there are no plans to replace Cinemagique, one of the best Disney attractions. I also like Animagique and I'm happy that it will stay for at least a few years.

I have to admit, I'm a bit excited that a new stage show will come to Videopolis. I don't know how elaborate shows like "The Golden Mickeys" in HKDL and on DCL are, but I can imagine that the new show will be based on an existing show to cut the costs. Didn't Disney bring a Toy Story Musical to the new Disney ship?

davewasbaloo

Quote from: "dagobert"How did it work in the early days of DLRP to have shows in the restaurants?

In my opinion the food department shouldn't be involved anywhere except for food, because that's really bad in Paris. Disney should cut their power or replace the managers and then they should concentrate to improve the food quality. It works in all other Disney parks to have shows in restaurants, except, what a surprise, in Paris.

Hmmm, this one is difficult. Disney is a different beast these days. Videopolis has hardly changed since opening day (but one problem they have always had is people clogging tables when the shows are on and not buying food, and people not buying food for fear of not getting a table), but the Lucky Nugget was a snack bar before, not a full blown restaurant. But thanks to the advent of SAP and new Cost Centre management systems implemented a little over 10 years ago, food and beverage are king, not just at DLP, but all Disney resorts. They have had similar problems in Ca, WDW, TDL and HKDL too.  Unless the CEO or park president intervenes, profit generators lik F&B will always beat show. It is not the Walt way, but it is sadly the modern Disney way.

A real shame.

dagobert

Thanks Dave!

Lucky Nugget Saloon was a snack bar in the early days? What did the rstaurant offer and why did Disney turn it into a buffet restaurant while the Explorer's Club restaurant was turned into a fast food restaurant (Colonel Hati)? It would have made more sense to use the bigger building for a buffet. But the best would have been, if Disney would have kept the Explorer's Club.

davewasbaloo

Quote from: "dagobert"I have to admit, I'm a bit excited that a new stage show will come to Videopolis. I don't know how elaborate shows like "The Golden Mickeys" in HKDL and on DCL are, but I can imagine that the new show will be based on an existing show to cut the costs. Didn't Disney bring a Toy Story Musical to the new Disney ship?

There are lots of existing shows they could port in from other Disney locales. For example, the Finding Nemo Show is very good, though expensive due to the puppets and live singers. Also the Aladdin Show at DCA (Disney's finest theme park show ever IMHO), but the problem with these is the reliance on language (though they tried to get around that in the Lion King Show with different timings).

There is the Villains Show, Golden Mickeys, Cinderella 2 type show and others from the cruises as well.

dagobert

The Finding Nemo Musical at DAK was great and we enjoyed it a lot. We haven't seen many other Disney stage shows, but Finding Nemo was definately the best one, followed by The Lion King show in Paris. We didn't like the Lion King show at DAK very much, we even liked the Beauty and the Beast show at DHS better.

davewasbaloo

Quote from: "dagobert"Thanks Dave!

Lucky Nugget Saloon was a snack bar in the early days? What did the rstaurant offer and why did Disney turn it into a buffet restaurant while the Explorer's Club restaurant was turned into a fast food restaurant (Colonel Hati)? It would have made more sense to use the bigger building for a buffet. But the best would have been, if Disney would have kept the Explorer's Club.

Oh, don't get me started on this one. Yes, up until about 2000, the Lucky Nugget was a snack bar where you could get a drink and a prezel, or corn chips and salsa, I think they did hot dogs and sandwiches too. But the focus was on the stage. In 1992 for the first few years, they did the full review show with can can dancers, singers, and stunt fights. It was excellent. But this was a time before toons were everywhere, and the only buffets on site could be found in the DLH, Plaza Inn, and Newport Bay Club (although Beaver Creek had a dessert buffet).

WDW started really pushing the rubber head buffets in WDW and the same managers (Rasulo et al) moved to Paris and started to bring them here. Add in that they were looking for ways to capture the audience in WDW away from other attractions and increase revenue at DLP. They noticed how piggy people were at the breakfast buffets, and of course the DCL business launched. The consultant brought in (an aquaintance of mine who will remain nameless) decided Disney needed a cruise ship model. One where people give Disney their money upfront (useful for people who have difficulty budgeting), provide cheap buffets that cause in theory less food waste, but speed up dining for those in a hurry, and make folks feel they are getting a bargain, when the margins are 2 x more than service restaurants. They can also reduce casting. Also, character performers do not need to be acting or music union members and although the costumes are very expensive, the staffing is cheap, much cheaper than dancers and musicians (though to be fair, many of the friends of fluffies are dancers too, but they do not get paid dancing rates under French law unless they dance). the character buffet at Lucky Nugget was born. Also the LA Bar and Grill was converted to Cafe Mickey. And several other good restaurants who sadly were not as well utilised (combo of price and guest ignorance), were turned into buffets allowing them to add capacity to the dining plan, and reduce cost by synergising menues (other example, look at what has happened to the counter service restaurants over the years). A success in some ways, as it did reduce cost to the debt ridden company, and some people are very happy with these troughs, but I think in the main, the uniquity of DLP has lost out (but this has happened in WDW to, though to a lesser extent).

As for the Explorer's Club, this one breaks my heart. It was the most expensive in park table service restaurant, but it was loaded with multi lingual actors and amazing props (many sold on e bay) where they interacted with the birds. Sadly, due to location, cost of staffing, and lack of knowledge by the guests (look at how many people question the value of the amazing Buffalo Bill's Wild West Show), it did not last long.

It was turned into a Chinese restaurant for a few years, but again, did not sell well. Then it turned into a pizza place with no soul nor much to look at that we know today. So sad.

davewasbaloo

Quote from: "dagobert"The Finding Nemo Musical at DAK was great and we enjoyed it a lot. We haven't seen many other Disney stage shows, but Finding Nemo was definately the best one, followed by The Lion King show in Paris. We didn't like the Lion King show at DAK very much, we even liked the Beauty and the Beast show at DHS better.

I agree with you there. the LK show and most shows at WDW are poor. But Finding Nemo is excellent, my 4th fav Disney park show:

1. Aladdin - DCA
2. Mulan - DLP
3. Tarzan - DLP
4. Finding Nemo Musical - DAK
5. The Legend of the Lion King - DLP

dagobert

Again, thanks Dave!

From a vegetarian point of view I really like the snack bar concept with dancers. Didn't the saloon at DL Anaheim also have can can dancers, even during Walt's time?

It's really sad what happened to the beautiful Explorers Club. It deserves so much more than a counter service restaurant that sells pasta and pizzas.

Do you think that these wonderful restaurants with all the special offers would have stayed without the bad financial situation? I don't think so, because WDW is making a lot of money and over there the same happened. Nice restuarants were turned into character buffets.

You can talk to everyone you want who is going to DLRP for more than 10 years, and everyone will assure you how much they miss the Explorers Club.

davewasbaloo

Quote from: "dagobert"Again, thanks Dave!

From a vegetarian point of view I really like the snack bar concept with dancers. Didn't the saloon at DL Anaheim also have can can dancers, even during Walt's time?

Indeed they did, from 1955 until the 90's. It was such a big deal, it was in the Guiness Book of World Records for a time as the longest running stage show in the world. And there was even a TV special aired across the whole US. Wally Boag, it's star, was so big in American popular culture, he was even a guest star on the Muppet Show. And I loved it.

Sadly the only park who still does it is Tokyo DL (or they did before the Earthquake at least).  TDL also do the Polynesian Luau that used to run in California too (the Tahitian Terrace).

To me, the Golden Horseshoe and Tahitian Terrace growing up were as much a part of the DL experience as PotC and Haunted Mansion, and more important than any rubber heads.

In California, for a time, there was a vaudeville variety show with a comedy duo and the Billy Hills (this was until about 2005 or so). Now the Billy Hills play every day at DL. And you can still get snacks there.

WDW shuttered their saloon about 12 years ago, only to reopen it as a counter service restaurant this season.

It really makes me mad. The Disney difference used to be about live entertainment everywhere. But now the modern guest and the management team shove the same 6 kids' meals across all their restaurants, and characters everywhere. What is sad, when DLP opened, it had the finest restaurants in the Disney empire.

Now, when I was trip planning last night, I struggled to decide where to eat due to the lack of quality offerings these days. Yes, still better than regional parks, but not better than what Disney itself was or is elsewhere.

davewasbaloo

Quote from: "dagobert"Do you think that these wonderful restaurants with all the special offers would have stayed without the bad financial situation? I don't think so, because WDW is making a lot of money and over there the same happened. Nice restuarants were turned into character buffets.

I don't know. I doubt it. I think the problem is, a lot of people who would enjoy these kinds of places don't go to DLP because they think it is all fun fairs and toons (you know, like management is turning the place into these days). and the ones that want the toons and are all about the rides do not seem to want elaborate dining experinces. The number of people I have seen in BBWWS or Auberge that are not eating, because they do not like the food, has really left me scratching my head.

I had to laugh, last year, when we booked at Auberge, and they saw we were an American/British family, they said did we know what was on the menu? I said, of course, that is why we are here, and if it wasn't an overpriced character meal, we would dine there more regularly. They then responded, ok, just be aware we offer plain pasta, it is very popular with the British. I cracked up laughing and said, nope, we prefer to dine continentally.

dagobert

WDW shut the Saloon to open a counter service restaurant?? That's even worse what DLRP did to the saloon.

I can't wait to see DL with my own eyes. Friends keep talking and talking how DLRP was more like DL than WDW fifteen years ago. Now it's the other way round.

Honestly, I thought that can can dancers would be a little bit too much for Walt Disney, because I thought that he was very conservative, but it seems I was wrong on that. Why did Disney remove the show? Do they think it is not family friendly enough?

dagobert

Quote from: "davewasbaloo"I don't know. I doubt it. I think the problem is, a lot of people who would enjoy these kinds of places don't go to DLP because they think it is all fun fairs and toons (you know, like management is turning the place into these days). and the ones that want the toons and are all about the rides do not seem to want elaborate dining experinces. The number of people I have seen in BBWWS or Auberge that are not eating, because they do not like the food, has really left me scratching my head.

I had to laugh, last year, when we booked at Auberge, and they saw we were an American/British family, they said did we know what was on the menu? I said, of course, that is why we are here, and if it wasn't an overpriced character meal, we would dine there more regularly. They then responded, ok, just be aware we offer plain pasta, it is very popular with the British. I cracked up laughing and said, nope, we prefer to dine continentally.

Are you kidding me? They offer plain pasta in that wonderful restaurant. We loved that restaurant before the princesses arrived. So people are only going there just because of the characters?????? And they are paying over 50 Euros for that?

The restaurant offered one of the best salmons I have ever eaten, that was before I became a vegetarian.
According to friends Auberge isn't that relaxing anymore. They wre rushed through the restaurant to accomodate as much people as possible and they weren't happy with food either. They think the food was better before.

It's Disney's fault that people who would enjoy such things aren't coming to DLRP. The whole resort is just promoted to kids. sometime I have the feeling Disney doesn't want to have other guests than families. And many families look at us and you know how they think about a couple being at DL.

davewasbaloo

Quote from: "dagobert"WDW shut the Saloon to open a counter service restaurant?? That's even worse what DLRP did to the saloon.

Yep, but that is WDW is all about. They were the first to bring in staggered opening and closings for attractions, shops and restaurants (I remember reading in one of my books how Walt never approved of something being closed unless it was being refurbed).

Quote from: "dagobert"I can't wait to see DL with my own eyes. Friends keep talking and talking how DLRP was more like DL than WDW fifteen years ago. Now it's the other way round.

sadly so. In 1992, I thought that DLP was the greatest theme park on the planet, even beating my beloved Disneyland. Sadly, not as much any more. I don't know if it is the economics, the market, the lack of Walt, the management team, modern society, probably a combination of it all; but the show has sunk to the background. A new bunch of fans/management have come in and it is all about toons. I try to enjoy it, and let's face it, it is still better than most of their rivals. But i have consoled myself to the fact that my children will never grow up with the same level of quality DIsney park experience as I enjoyed. Same can be true for many other things in life, but whereas I was inspired by attractions like Adventures In Inner Space or Le Visionarium; my kids enjoy blasting Zurg or want to ride RC Racer. Sure, it is fun, but will it resonate with them in the same way when they are older? Will they outgrow Disney? I am frightened of that happening to them. Now DL in California has dumbed down too, but not to the same extent as Paris or Orlando. Be warned, I love DL and find it to be like Tivoli Gardens - a wonderful, magical oasis in an urban area. I find that is part of it's charm, along with the smaller scale park with detail around every corner. It is not on the same scale as WDW or DLP (though 2/3rds of WDW's attraction count can be found in DL/DCA - an area the size of Epcot!). I prefer quality over quantity any day.

Quote from: "dagobert"Honestly, I thought that can can dancers would be a little bit too much for Walt Disney, because I thought that he was very conservative, but it seems I was wrong on that. Why did Disney remove the show? Do they think it is not family friendly enough?

You would be surprised (FWIW, Roy Disney Jr. proposed to his wife on the Mark Twain and then they celebrated with the dress rehearsal of the Golden Horseshoe Revue the night before DL opened to the public). Walt wanted the riding crop outfits for his ambassadors, called the staff cast members so he could be picky about looks, he said that only men could work the jungle cruise, trains or steam boats, but only women could narrate the Storybookland Canal boats. He asked for the Hula girls to be in the Tahitian Terrace.

And on Main Street, there was a shop called the Wizard of Bras that sold lingerie; Upjohn's Pharmacy exhibit that talked of laudinum and opium; and there was a full blown tobaccanist on Main street. He simply did not want alcohol served in the parks to stop jerk behaviour (though sold it in Holidayland, Club 33 and allowed it to be served in the DLH (owned by Jack Wagner))