Jungle Cruise: the movie

Started by Kristof, September 22, 2006, 06:12:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kristof

Quote from: "Laughingplace.com"LOS ANGELES (Hollywood Reporter) - Following the record-breaking success of "Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest," Walt Disney Pictures is giving high-priority status to another potential adventure franchise based on a Disneyland ride.

It is developing "Jungle Cruise," inspired by the ride in which parkgoers travel the jungle river guided by a riverboat skipper, encountering such wild creatures as piranhas and gorillas during their tour. The ride was one of the 22 original attractions when the park opened in 1955.

The executive producers of the CW network's superhero saga "Smallville," Al Gough and Miles Millar, are in negotiations to write the script. Plot details are being kept under lock and key, but the movie will be set in the 20th century.

"Dead Man's Chest," the second feature based on Pirates of the Caribbean, another of Disneyland's most popular and long-standing rides, has grossed more than $1 billion worldwide. The across-the-board success of the film, with its broad demographic appeal, has been cited by Disney's new president of production Oren Aviv as representing the direction in which the movie division is heading.

Movies based on Disneyland rides, however, have not always had smooth sailing. While "Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl" grossed $305.4 million domestically in 2003 and "The Haunted Mansion" banked a solid $75.8 million that same year, Disney's "Country Bears" took in just $17 million in 2002.

Reuters/Hollywood Reporter

Anthony

I'm sceptical (especially with Indy VI on the horizon), but at least having the film set in the 20th Century will prevent another horrible mish-mash like The Haunted Mansion.

I just hope they make it different to Indy and Pirates.  The Pirates attraction-to-film formula worked well, but they shouldn't copy it - the magic of Black Pearl was its originality.

I'd love it if they did a new Western based on the legends of BTM and Thunder Mesa... or maybe a De la Terre a la Lune/From Time To Time kinda film, if sci-fi ever comes back into fashion...

penfold12

Im with you Baloo. I think the idea sounds fantastic, but very Indy. Sahara last year was a copy of Indy (sort of) and that was ok.

All I keep thinking is Haunted Mansion and the Tower Of Terror Movie with Steve Guttenberg..... Terrible!

Also, it may be getting to the point of overkill, like most things it seems with Disney, if it works once do it again, eventualy ending up watering down the interest.

The Butlin Boy

Well it's been a while, but we finally have some more news :D :

QuoteJungle Cruise a High Priority at Disney
Source: Box Office Mojo
November 16, 2007

Box Office Mojo got a chance to talk to Walt Disney Pictures Chairman Dick Cook and asked him about the Jungle Cruise movie, which will be based on the Disneyland ride much like the "Pirates of the Caribbean" franchise is. Here's a clip from the article:

There will be a family involved. The skipper will play a very important role. He'll be more of an Indiana Jones kind of guy, with a little Jack Sparrow in him, who's going to be able to take this family on an adventure that they never dreamed they were going to be on when they first got on board. In true Disney fashion, it will definitely have the adventure and the intensity—but also the heart and the fun. We hope we have a good outline of where we want to go and what we want to do with it in the next year.

Sources: Box Office Mojo and Coming Soon

Soap

Hmmm...i don't know about this one....  :?
Disney already got the National Treasure movies, which i personally really like. They are a good mix between Indy and the Da Vinci code kinda stories.
"All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them." Walt Disney

dagobert

Blue Sky Disney has posted new informations about the movie:
http://blueskydisney.blogspot.com/2011/ ... ungle.html

The Studio has released a statement:

The Walt Disney Studios is excited to be in development with Mandeville Films and writer Roger S.H. Schulman on a feature film based on the Jungle Cruise, one of the most iconic attractions in Disney theme park history. The film will pair up Tim Allen and Tom Hanks in their first live-action project, after their previous collaborations in the Toy Story trilogy.?

JelleP

Tom Hanks AND Tim Allen? This could be a very good movie!
Unless they screw it up, of course... :')
[size=120]"Most men, they\'ll tell you a story straight through. It won\'t be complicated, but it won\'t be interesting either."[/size]

[size=120]jellep.nl - twitter - youtube[/size]

simonandwendy626

Quote from: "dagobert"Blue Sky Disney has posted new informations about the movie:
http://blueskydisney.blogspot.com/2011/ ... ungle.html

The Studio has released a statement:

The Walt Disney Studios is excited to be in development with Mandeville Films and writer Roger S.H. Schulman on a feature film based on the Jungle Cruise, one of the most iconic attractions in Disney theme park history. The film will pair up Tim Allen and Tom Hanks in their first live-action project, after their previous collaborations in the Toy Story trilogy.?

OMG :shock:  Two of my favorite actors in a new Disney film. Bring it on!!!!

mattboywonder

Quote from: "JelleP"Tom Hanks AND Tim Allen? This could be a very good movie!
Unless they screw it up, of course... :')

Yeah, sounds a bit cheesy - they will probably be playing competitive dads or something equally lame.  Think this is gonna be more Haunted Mansion and Pirates...
Disneyland - 1991, 1995, 2001, 2002, 2009, 2010, 2012
Walt Disney World - 1998, 2000, 2010, 2011, 2012
Tokyo Disneyland - 2008, 2011, 2012
Disneyland Paris - 1997, 2002, 2007, 2008, 2009 (March, May, Halloween & Dec), 2010 (Feb, July, Oct & Dec), 2011 (April, July & September), 2012 (March, April & July & New Years Eve) 2013 March
Hong Kong Disneyland - 2007, 2008

penfold12

[quote="mattboywonderYeah, sounds a bit cheesy - they will probably be playing competitive dads or something equally lame.  Think this is gonna be more Haunted Mansion and Pirates...[/quote]

Couldnt agree more!!! Oh well, this is looks like another cheap Disney tie in