Splash Mountain

Started by Owain, October 30, 2006, 05:02:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Soap

Hehe Owain  :P

I think this project is back in the fridge for future plans..... :?
"All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them." Walt Disney

smurfy74

We were thinking of a flume ride when we were at the park this week and we would love one in Adventure land, possibly themed around The Emperors New Groove, there is loads space in adventure land and it lacks attractions. What does anyone think?

DisneyAlba

Quote from: "smurfy74"We were thinking of a flume ride when we were at the park this week and we would love one in Adventure land, possibly themed around The Emperors New Groove, there is loads space in adventure land and it lacks attractions. What does anyone think?

I actually like that idea! Kuzco has some pretty good scenes for a flume ride... And the theme would fit somewhere in Adventureland, yes. :) (Of course, I'd probably be too chicken to ride it though.)
You can take the girl out of Scotland, but you can't take Scotland out of the girl.

dlrpdudette

Quote from: "DisneyAlba"
Quote from: "smurfy74"We were thinking of a flume ride when we were at the park this week and we would love one in Adventure land, possibly themed around The Emperors New Groove, there is loads space in adventure land and it lacks attractions. What does anyone think?

I actually like that idea! Kuzco has some pretty good scenes for a flume ride... And the theme would fit somewhere in Adventureland, yes. :) (Of course, I'd probably be too chicken to ride it though.)

Not only good scenes, but good music too! :D
July 2001 - Disneyland Resort CA - Offsite ~ August 2004 - DLRP - Santa Fe ~ March 2006 - DLRP - Cheyenne ~ January 2007 - DLRP - Sequoia Lodge ~ August 2007 - WDW and USF - Offsite ~ June 2008? - DLRP? - Santa Fe?

Rain

I think if they wanted to re-theme a Splash Mountain ride around another Disney movie, and put it in Frontierland, then Pochahontas would be the best option. The movie has plenty of cute characters, a pioneer theme that would work in Frontierland and some great songs, including Just around The Riverbend, which couldn't really be more perfect for a water-ride.
The log-flume boats would be themed more like canoes and would travel through various set pieces from the movie, including the Native American village peopled with animatronic characters. There would be atmospheric weather and and sound effects and lots of forest creature animatronics too, so there is plenty to look at. The boats would finally pass under the trailing branches of an animatronic talking Grandmother Willow before the drop. At the end there could be a tableau of Pocahontas waving goodbye to John Smith/us to the sound of Colours of the Wind.
I think that would be a really good ride, as the film has enough dark moments to present some good changes of mood during the ride.

Soap

Quote from: "Rain"I think if they wanted to re-theme a Splash Mountain ride around another Disney movie, and put it in Frontierland, then Pochahontas would be the best option. The movie has plenty of cute characters, a pioneer theme that would work in Frontierland and some great songs, including Just around The Riverbend, which couldn't really be more perfect for a water-ride.
The log-flume boats would be themed more like canoes and would travel through various set pieces from the movie, including the Native American village peopled with animatronic characters. There would be atmospheric weather and and sound effects and lots of forest creature animatronics too, so there is plenty to look at. The boats would finally pass under the trailing branches of an animatronic talking Grandmother Willow before the drop. At the end there could be a tableau of Pocahontas waving goodbye to John Smith/us to the sound of Colours of the Wind.
I think that would be a really good ride, as the film has enough dark moments to present some good changes of mood during the ride.

Wow.....when is it coming, can't wait, sounds great  :P

But then again.... would it fit into Frontierland? What gives Frontierland it's unique look and feel? That's its unique storyline and imagineering without Disney characters and stuff.... :?:
"All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them." Walt Disney

Rain

Quote from: "Soap"Wow.....when is it coming, can't wait, sounds great  :P
:D

QuoteBut then again.... would it fit into Frontierland? What gives Frontierland it's unique look and feel? That's its unique storyline and imagineering without Disney characters and stuff.... :?:

I think that's the main problem with any themed water-ride that they might shoe-horn into that area. Though the majority of the character aspects of Splash Mountain are inside the attraction, so perhaps they could get away with keeping the outside understated and having characters inside, where they don't spoil the themeing. I remember the first time I went on Splash I was really surprised, as I didn't expect it to have so much inside - I thought it would just be a simple log-flume, so the huge set-pieces like the boat were a real shock.

Owain

Quote from: "Alan"Hey, well I found that file I was talking about. Here is a photo of Frontierland at Disneyland Paris, with the plans for Splash Mountain laid over it. I'm not sure how official this is, but it seems to fit in, doesn't it?

http://img174.imageshack.us/img174/6665 ... uwdmd6.jpg

Does anyone have a bigger version of the plan ?

This one if great to, but i wonder if there was a bigger version of just the mapping and not google earth  :P

Sorry if im being to demanding !

Fever

Sorry to drag this up again, but I can not believe for one second that the weather in France has put them off building this one. Reading the book 'Imagineering at it's peak-the Disney Mountains', talks about the ride in Japan and how the awful wet weather there, plus how apparently they 'dress up and don't want to be soaked', changed the design of the boats slightly, so that the splash would be pushed away from the boat.. They can do all sorts depending on where each attraction goes-we know this. Plus the times that I have been to the park in the summer and would have paid good money for a decent wet ride...!

Bring on the Pocahontas Riverbend Mountain and yes, does anyone have a bigger version of the plan ?  :D
Welcome foolish mortals

Anthony

Quote from: "Fever"Sorry to drag this up again, but I can not believe for one second that the weather in France has put them off building this one.
Technically it hasn't, it was the financial problems in the 90s and early 2000s.

The weather seems like a minor issue to me, it's so easy to change water levels and splashes. A bigger challenge for getting Splash Mountain to Paris is surely the theme and story. Song of the South is a bit iffy, and I'm not sure if Pocahontas a) is enough to base the story on and b) is marketable enough. I can't think what scenes they'd put in there for Pocahontas to make it interesting.

I still reckon Mickey's Barnyard Olympics would be an awesome theme, with guests gradually making their way to the top of the hill past scenes showing the various games, before taking part in their very own - the "Giant Splash".

I'm sure they could come up with a great song to rival even Laughing Place, it's a small world or Grim Grinning Ghosts...

It'd still be called Splash Mountain and look almost identical on the outside.

The final scene after the splash would be the judges...

Yay or nay?

experiment627

Adjustable water levels or not, the question is: how many people would actually *want* to ride a "Splash Mountain" on an average winter day?

Anthony

I'd say Big Thunder probably has more outdoor sections and people seem happy to ride that. With a warm coat on I really don't think it'd be a problem.

It'd be a wonderful break from dark rides, spinning rides and roller coasters in the dark.

Parkfisch

In Tokyo it's mostly warmer than in Paris. And even if the boats and the technic could garanty a nearly dry ride, people would avoy the winter season, because they may think it'll be closed in the cold season or they could get wet. So there would be risk of losing visitors.

experiment627

I agree with Parkfisch: the problem with "Splash" is what people might think on a cold day in December when looking at that huge outdoor drop... it's *not* about what can be done to keep guests warm and dry, but if those guests think they'll stay warm and dry before entering the queue... and that's where I have my doubts...

Owain

Well i certainly think thar spalsh is a YAYY for DLRP !  :)

As people have said before you dont get that wet and they can change it for the winter season. People would love to go on it theyd probably pay for a rain jacket to stop getting wet when youd get a bigger splash on pirates !  :lol: