Splash Mountain

Started by Owain, October 30, 2006, 05:02:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lordofthemightybeasts

But Frontierland's cohesive theme is what makes it such a great land. I'm still astounded by just what a brilliant piece of imagineering Frontierland is.
As you come out of Fort Comstock you see the huge peaks of Big Thunder Mountain, the land behind it seems to stretch on forever, there's Phantom Manor looming over the town from the top of the hill, while all around the side of the land are wonderfully detailed Old West buildings that gradually merge into a more Mexican style. How would you feel if there was a great plastic, colourful, cartoon mountain in the middle of that? I'm not opposed to a Splash Mountain, but only if they make it fit with the theme of the land.
Oh, and the Muppets? :shock:  

If you want a cute Disney ride, then what's wrong with Fantasyland?  :wink:

Owain

Quote from: "PATMAGIC"That may be, but times have moved on lately and technology improves there is plenty of ways to stop the water from soaking people in the winter and making sure they are soaked in the summer.  One thing most other water rides in Europe seem to fail to realise (Valhalla imparticular :lol:) .  Also operating and maintaining, dlrp seem to be able to handle autopia, and the storybookland area so I do not see why seasonal closure would be of any problem, if this had to happen.  Of course as Baloo said ToT will need to be seen first to determine what does come next and if it is splash what it could possibly be based around.

Also I doubt dlrp would create a critter country, it would work fine at the back of Frontierland in its own little area, no need for a new land, nor is there really any space, maybe just a mild retheme.  Especially now the Critter Corral seems to be completely empty.

Still water rides seem to be becoming ever so popular in Europe, especially as the weather gets hotter with the aid of global warming :wink: .  Maybe someday soon it will be time for dlrp to move with the times with their very own fully soaking water attraction.

Pat this put a big smile on my face the way you said about all the possibilitys im just hoping and sure that tower of terror will make a big impact on the studios and the resort !  :)  And hopefully then we can have Splash Mountain !

CafeFantasia

Hey, well I found that file I was talking about. Here is a photo of Frontierland at Disneyland Paris, with the plans for Splash Mountain laid over it. I'm not sure how official this is, but it seems to fit in, doesn't it?

http://img174.imageshack.us/img174/6665 ... uwdmd6.jpg

davewasbaloo

Quote from: "KittyVogt"I'm still determined to have Pooh Stick Mountain. But I also liked that old school Disney one. How about the muppets?

I think the whole problem is that they they already have a generic ride in Frontierland, BTM. Frontierland, in my opinion, is already WAY too generic and not that Disney, it's probably the least Disney land in the park.

It's not that I would be really annoyed with a generic ride, I would just be more happy with a cute one. After all, what would seperate it from BTM other than more water?

Funny I remember as a kid growing up at Disneyland in California, Fantasyland was the only place that had the invasion of the cartoons. I miss those days.  What Disney does best is make you feel like you are in the Old West, the Jungles of Africa and Asia, or in the world of Tomorrow.  For that reason I love Frontierland at DLP the most because it is the least cartoony!
since 2001 (many before that)

Owain

Quote from: "Alan"Hey, well I found that file I was talking about. Here is a photo of Frontierland at Disneyland Paris, with the plans for Splash Mountain laid over it. I'm not sure how official this is, but it seems to fit in, doesn't it?

Thanks !  :)

-breeno-

Quote from: "Alan"Hey, well I found that file I was talking about. Here is a photo of Frontierland at Disneyland Paris, with the plans for Splash Mountain laid over it. I'm not sure how official this is, but it seems to fit in, doesn't it?

Like it, it seems to fit in brillantly.
"You\'re dead if you aim only for kids. Adults are only kids grown up, anyway."
- Walt Disney

DisneyMagic Live Chat - Just click to join!

TowMater

Another Splash Mountain?

Ah well, I like the ride and if it is going to be in DLRP then I can remember that there is some space near BTM.
"To all who come to his happy place, Welcome" - Walt Disney

Previous Disney Visits

DLRP  | May 2001           |Newport Bay
WDW  | October 2004    | Calabry Parc Villas
WDW  | October 2006    | Hawthorns Suites
WDW  | May 2008          | Hawthorns Suites
WDW  | August 2008      | All Star Movies
DLRP   | November 2008 | Explorers Hotel
WDW  |August 2009       |Pop Century

TowMater

Might that thing be too big to go under the railway station?

Anything new about this ride being putted into DLRP?
"To all who come to his happy place, Welcome" - Walt Disney

Previous Disney Visits

DLRP  | May 2001           |Newport Bay
WDW  | October 2004    | Calabry Parc Villas
WDW  | October 2006    | Hawthorns Suites
WDW  | May 2008          | Hawthorns Suites
WDW  | August 2008      | All Star Movies
DLRP   | November 2008 | Explorers Hotel
WDW  |August 2009       |Pop Century

Maarten

Quote from: "KittyVogt"I'm still determined to have Pooh Stick Mountain. But I also liked that old school Disney one. How about the muppets?.

Are you serious? The Muppets or Pooh? This is Frontierland we are talking about. Leave Pooh in Fantasyland and a future Muppet project in the Studios park please. Who cares about the Muppets nowadays anyway? At least in Europe they aren't as big as they once were. :roll:

QuoteI think the whole problem is that they they already have a generic ride in Frontierland, BTM. Frontierland, in my opinion, is already WAY too generic and not that Disney, it's probably the least Disney land in the park.

Did you understand the concept of Paris' Thunder Mesa storyline? Everything fits in perfectly and is a world on it own. Its a true gem of Imagineering. Frontierland is just as Disney as the rides and buildings that feature the Disney characters. I think you quite underestamate the Disneyland concept when you think that every piece of the park should be cartoonised. Disney is far more then that. Look at Tokyo DisneySea, Epcot or Disney's Animal Kingdom for example. Besides that, Disneyland Resort Paris is often critised by many European themepark fans for being too plastic, American and childish for their taste. I think that turning the least cartoonised land of them all into a new Woody-land won't win over many new fans. Especially when you take in consideration how many resistance there was when (plastic) Buzz kicked out our beloved Timekeeper.  :wink:

Sorry, thats was a bit offtopic.

CafeFantasia

Well, I think everyone's entitled to their own opinion. But in recent years, Disney has favoured using character/cartoon themes for their attractions, instead of characterless generic themes. So using characters in Frontierland isn't too far fetched.

And as for Pooh not fitting into Frontierland, in terms of perfect Imagineering, I guess not. But then, there are MANY examples where Imagineers have put two totally different themes next to each other. Attractions that have nothing in common, yet occupy the same space:

- Cars Race Rally facing Crush's Coaster
- Finding Nemo Musical next to Expedition Everest
- Aladdin's Carpets next to the Tiki Room
- Buzz Lightyear near to the Carousel of Progress
- Haunted Mansion next to Splash Mountain
- Finding Nemo Submarin Voyage next to Matterhorn Bobsleds
- Ice Station Cool in Innoventions Plaza

bikemonkey

Theming a ride with existing characters gives Disney a great opportunity to tie it in with merchandise, although I agree that part of the attraction of Frontierland is the continuous storyline of Thunder Mesa.  I think a carbon copy of an existing Splash Mountain wouldn't fit - does anyone even know where Brer Rabbit etc come from anymore?  (Uncle Remus African Slave Tales/Song of the South).  In order for it to be in keeping with the existing Fronteirland, new theming for Splash Mountain or an entirely new water ride would be needed.  
Another alternative would be to re-theme a corner of Fronteirland so whatever is in it doesn't have to comply with the Thunder Mesa storyline.  They could put up a gate near the entrance and call it 'Toon Mesa' or whatever (I reaslise 'Toon Mesa is an awful name, its just an example!) and stick a run-of-the-mill Splash Mountain in there.  If they put in a couple of shops and a small A-ticket ride then they have a whole new land instead of just a new ride, which is a bigger draw for not much more money.

davewasbaloo

Quote from: "Maarten"Did you understand the concept of Paris' Thunder Mesa storyline? Everything fits in perfectly and is a world on it own. Its a true gem of Imagineering. Frontierland is just as Disney as the rides and buildings that feature the Disney characters. I think you quite underestamate the Disneyland concept when you think that every piece of the park should be cartoonised. Disney is far more then that. Look at Tokyo DisneySea, Epcot or Disney's Animal Kingdom for example. Besides that, Disneyland Resort Paris is often critised by many European themepark fans for being too plastic, American and childish for their taste. I think that turning the least cartoonised land of them all into a new Woody-land won't win over many new fans. Especially when you take in consideration how many resistance there was when (plastic) Buzz kicked out our beloved Timekeeper.  :wink:

Sorry, thats was a bit offtopic.

Bravo Maarten.  To me as a kid growing up in Disneyland, I used to love exploring Jungles, New Orleans, Rustic Islands, and space in the future.  The only place for characters (except walk arounds) was Fantasyland.  I liked the way Disney made you feel you were in another place or time.  This is what I also love about Epcot, DAK and TDS.

To me the cartoonisation of the Disney parks are ruining them.  I mean a character lunch and dinner where I used to be able to go and watch a westen revue????   That sucks.  Disney parks have really been headed in the wrong direction in the last 10 years, and having spent 95% of my disposable income with Disney most of my life, I am starting to pull away.

What doesn't help is people feeling that Winnie the Pooh or PotC or other marketing rubbish is the right answer.
since 2001 (many before that)

Maarten

Quote from: "Alan"Well, I think everyone's entitled to their own opinion. But in recent years, Disney has favoured using character/cartoon themes for their attractions, instead of characterless generic themes. So using characters in Frontierland isn't too far fetched.

You're right. Thats also the reason why I'm fed up with it. The day that Disneyland Paris will get invaded by more and more cartoonisation seems to get closer and closer.

QuoteAnd as for Pooh not fitting into Frontierland, in terms of perfect Imagineering, I guess not. But then, there are MANY examples where Imagineers have put two totally different themes next to each other. Attractions that have nothing in common, yet occupy the same space:

- Cars Race Rally facing Crush's Coaster
- Finding Nemo Musical next to Expedition Everest
- Aladdin's Carpets next to the Tiki Room
- Buzz Lightyear near to the Carousel of Progress
- Haunted Mansion next to Splash Mountain
- Finding Nemo Submarin Voyage next to Matterhorn Bobsleds
- Ice Station Cool in Innoventions Plaza

Cars and Crush isn't much of a problem since this is supposed to be Toon Studio and the attractions are refered to as sets. I completely agree that the Finding Nemo Musical doesn't belong in the Asia section of DAK. On the other hand, The Haunted Mansion and Splash Mountain aren't located in the same "land", just as the Matterhorn and Subs. I think that our Thunder Mesa is a different issue. At our Frontierland we are talking about a cohensive theme with a storyline and some sort of realism. None of the attractions you mentioned share this storyline aspect.

QuoteTheming a ride with existing characters gives Disney a great opportunity to tie it in with merchandise, although I agree that part of the attraction of Frontierland is the continuous storyline of Thunder Mesa.

Yeah, thats what Disney thinks aswell I guess. Ofcourse, I understand their reasons why they would like to theme new attractions with their recent box offices hits. But it takes away from the origanality, the creative aspect of the parks. But on the other hand, isn't it a sign on the wall for Disney that recent attractions like Space Mountain- de la Terre a la Lune, Expedition Everest, Soarin', Test Track, Journey to the Center of the Earth, The Twiligh Zone Tower of Terror, Mission: Space... (and so on) are succesfull without having a character tie in. I know that all these attractions are high profile e-tickets by the way.  :wink:

bikemonkey

QuoteBut on the other hand, isn't it a sign on the wall for Disney that recent attractions like Space Mountain- de la Terre a la Lune, Expedition Everest, Soarin', Test Track, Journey to the Center of the Earth, The Twiligh Zone Tower of Terror, Mission: Space... (and so on) are succesfull without having a character tie in.

In some ways, Disney have started to do the tie in bit in reverse.  There's a Tower of Terror film (it was so bad it must have been a test for the format of doing retrospective films based on rides!)  Haunted Mansion, and most notably Pirates of the Caribbean.  I think Disney have realised that the parks have become institutions as much as the films have and perhaps new attractions don't need to piggyback an existing popular franchise to be successful as they win success in their own right.

Owain

:bump: