Duffy the Disney Bear

Started by Malin, January 14, 2011, 11:22:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dagobert

I have to admit that he does look cute and he deserves a chance. I don't mind the merchandise, I'm just against all these excessive character meet and greets. That's all Disney is doing right now. I've never been a fan of these meet and greets and I think I will never be. For me Disney is about great story telling and fantastic attractions that no one else can do. Unfortunately with recent additions Disney proved that they are not the best anymore. That's just my opinion and I'm sure most members here will disagree. I was just expressing my opinion about the bear. As I've said before, he was created by the Disney Merchandise Department for selling merchandise and I think that's not the Disney way.

Given the current merchandise selection at DLRP, I would also buy that bear for my kids, if I would have some.

Disney-Me

Quote from: "dagobert"He is a big success at the Tokyo Disney Resort, but he failed in the US and in Europe as well

How can you assess that Duffy is a failure in Europe when he only has had an appearance of one week in Paris?!!! Is that how you asses failure?!!! Seriously, come on!!!

It's also known that Europeans in general like teddy bears.
Follow me on Twitter! All Disney related issues that I am aware about and experience myself will be posted online on Twitter regularly and personally by "DisneyMoi", who also happens to be Disney-Me, who is "ME". //https://twitter.com/#!/DisneyMoi.

Enjoy some of my experiences with the Disney characters around the world on Flickr! //http://www.flickr.com/photos/59201102@N06/

dagobert

I'm not judging from this single week.

The bear was already introduced in the US and France in the early 2000s. Back then he was a failure and was removed from the parks.

Disney-Me

Quote from: "Riebi"The US people don´t like him. The europeans won´t.

With all due respect to your opinions, on what basis can you comment on that state the Europeans won't like it?!!! This is not possible! How can you predict such an event when it has only been one week and it's too early in the stage to make a prediction like this. There are certain factors to consider at this moment in time.
Follow me on Twitter! All Disney related issues that I am aware about and experience myself will be posted online on Twitter regularly and personally by "DisneyMoi", who also happens to be Disney-Me, who is "ME". //https://twitter.com/#!/DisneyMoi.

Enjoy some of my experiences with the Disney characters around the world on Flickr! //http://www.flickr.com/photos/59201102@N06/

Disney-Me

Quote from: "dagobert"I'm not judging from this single week.

The bear was already introduced in the US and France in the early 2000s. Back then he was a failure and was removed from the parks.

He never appeared as a character in Paris before! This is his first appearance as a character in Disneyland Paris.

Riebi

Quote from: "Disney-Me"
Quote from: "Riebi"The US people don´t like him. The europeans won´t.

With all due respect to your opinions, on what basis can you comment on that state the Europeans won't like it?!!! This is not possible! How can you predict such an event when it has only been one week and it's too early in the stage to make a prediction like this. There are certain factors to consider at this moment in time.

So I give you the same advice as you some posts before: just buy it or not.  ;)

P.S.:
Quote from: "Disney-Me"
Quote from: "dagobert"I'm not judging from this single week.

He never appeared as a character in Paris before! This is his first appearance as a character in Disneyland Paris.

(That´s for the europeans / US part. )
Wer nämlich mit "H" schreibt ist dämlich.

...the DPG is watching U...

Elaine

I'd never heard of Duffy bear until the beginning of this year, when other forum members started talking about him coming to DLP. I'm not remotely interested in Duffy merchandise, lets face it, he's an expensive build-a-bear. I wasn't that impressed with Duffy replacing the toy soldier on the drum in the OUAD parade either. But as a character, he's cute and he's cuddly, so in that respect he's not, in my opinion, out of place at DLP.

Elaine

DutchBrit

Quote from: "Disney-Me"I don't know where exactly you get what your talking about from, but allow me to ask you who told they created him from nothing. For your information, all Disney characters came to existence from nothing and with time became something magical. Their is a background story for Duffy which I suppose you know. It's not necessary for Duffy to have a movie or associations to become an official Disney character. Duffy has a story but it's different to the Disney norm.

It's not a background story, it's advertising blurb. Characters are what you get in films and plays. That should be all the backstory required.

If my son really enjoys a film, and has a favourite character it is a thrill to see that character in "real" life. But someone dressed up as a totally unknown teddy bear? Yawn. Seen it all before.

Luckily I expect that I will be very much able to avoid spending any money on anything dufferish. I personally rather like teddys, but at those prices I'd expect Stief at the very least. And he rather reminds me of a character called "Little Charley Bear" currently popping up on Cbeebies. So get one of them at a third of the price and at least you have a chance that your child will have a clue who the hell he is!

DedicatedToDLP(Steve)

My little boy refuses to believe it's not Charley Bear and we bought him one for £2.99 for Christmas.

I've experienced Duffy first hand in the park and didn't like him particularly. His eyes are vacant and he looks lifeless. If others like him that's cool for them. I met Mickey sans bear in the hotel with no 60 minute queue, that was good enough for me :)
Dedicated to DLP - Celebrating Disneyland Paris

Hotel Santa Fe 07/05, 11/11 and 05/12
Hotel Cheyenne 07/02, 11/02, 07/04, 12/05, 07/06, 10/06, 10/07 and 09/10
Sequoia Lodge 12/03 - Honeymoon Suite
Hotel New York 11/12
Off Site 05/13

littlemermaid83

Disney-me I feel your posts are coming across slightly agressive. Everyboby has there own opinon the world would be a boring place if we all liked and disliked the same things.  Some people like Duffy and some hate him. Thats life.

I personally adore the furry cuddly bear. I think his back story is cute and lets be honest if he was from a movie everyone would be falling over themselves to get one. I understand why people may not like him but hey it means more Duffy for me lol.
Tomorrow, tomorrow, I love you, tomorrow,... You're always a day closer to my next Disney trip!

Patrick89

I don't like him very much, too. I don't know, it's just that this bear was invented right out of nothing. His story is rather poor and in fact, at least for me, he does not fit in Disneyland, as there isn't a real connection between Disney and Duffy. He might be cute, but if I want to buy a Teddy bear I can also go to a normal store. In my eyes, he is like a foreign body in DLP. It is too obvious he was only invented for making profit and I don't really like this marketing campaign for him...But I bet he will be bought a lot and so Disney made the right choice, even if I don't agree with them here ;)
Secure all cargo, all passengers aboard!

---------------------------------------------

Bring back the moon!

DedicatedToDLP(Steve)

Found a photo I took last week which shows Duffy's strange eyes.

He looks almost possessed!

Hotel New York 11/12
Off Site 05/13

littlemermaid83

Quote from: "PirateSteve"Found a photo I took last week which shows Duffy's strange eyes.

He looks almost possessed!

I'm going to say its the lighting lol.

I think his eyes have the vintage teddy bear feel. But I adore Duffy so his imperfections do not bother me :P
Tomorrow, tomorrow, I love you, tomorrow,... You're always a day closer to my next Disney trip!

DedicatedToDLP(Steve)

I think he looks like an alcoholic - too much mulled wine ;)

Hotel New York 11/12
Off Site 05/13

littlemermaid83

Quote from: "PirateSteve"I think he looks like an alcoholic - too much mulled wine ;)

:lol:  :lol:  I'll have whatever he is having lol.