Duffy the Disney Bear

Started by Malin, January 14, 2011, 11:22:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JelleP

It looks like Disneyland Paris finally knows how to edit a video... :')
[youtube:1rlbrwf7]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGw39YQFa9g[/youtube:1rlbrwf7]
It's a shame they still dont have any English subtitles, though...
[size=120]"Most men, they\'ll tell you a story straight through. It won\'t be complicated, but it won\'t be interesting either."[/size]

[size=120]jellep.nl - twitter - youtube[/size]

lubynoo

The rockstar duffy we saw being shot!! He had a little drink and he was sooooo cute!! My son wanted him so they let him hold him lol. I am not sure if we got a pic of him with my son but we did get a pic of the rock star outfit I will upload the pic when I sort out my memory card!!

Elaine

Duffy was out with Mickey at his meet n greet in Town Square all the time from Saturday until we left DLP yesterday afternoon. He was also at the Disneyland Hotel for photos and autographs (he has a stamp) outside Inventions in the DLH on Sunday morning. He was wearing his Christmas outfit all the time.

Elaine

DedicatedToDLP(Steve)

The character of Duffy has strange eyes - I'll search my photos to see if I got a pic of them. When we were watching the Tree Lighting Ceremony on Thursday the people around us laughed when he came out - maybe not the reaction Disney were hoping for. His float is pretty pointless - he sits there and waves occasionally - utterly boring. Really not keen.
Dedicated to DLP - Celebrating Disneyland Paris

Hotel Santa Fe 07/05, 11/11 and 05/12
Hotel Cheyenne 07/02, 11/02, 07/04, 12/05, 07/06, 10/06, 10/07 and 09/10
Sequoia Lodge 12/03 - Honeymoon Suite
Hotel New York 11/12
Off Site 05/13

ilovedisneylandparis

I love Duffy! I saw a video of him waving with Mickey and meeting kids, they were more bothered about Mickey so Duffy just sort of stood there waving and it was so cute. I really want a Duffy bear! :D

Reiana

I saw that video too and I felt a little sorry for Duffy but Mickey is such hard competition. I think he hardly has a chance against him.
 :(

Disney-Me

I would like to understand what is with all this negative talk about Duffy?!!!!!!!!! Why won't you give this poor teddy bear a chance to see how people will react to him in Paris. He's only been there for a week and hasn't had enough time to acquaint himself with the people there.

I would like to share with you all from my own experience from meeting him, that Duffy is one of the "MOST" cutest Disney creations to exist. He is fun, lively, and extremely adorable. You can't resist the urge to hug him.

Please stop all this negativity and give Duffy some space and time.

DUFFY, WELCOME TO DISNEYLAND PARIS FOREVER.
Follow me on Twitter! All Disney related issues that I am aware about and experience myself will be posted online on Twitter regularly and personally by "DisneyMoi", who also happens to be Disney-Me, who is "ME". //https://twitter.com/#!/DisneyMoi.

Enjoy some of my experiences with the Disney characters around the world on Flickr! //http://www.flickr.com/photos/59201102@N06/

Disneydavid

I find Duffy a little bit expensive, im sorry.

DLP MP3 - The only podcast with onrides RIGHT from the Resort! With ToT ,SM:M2 , Crush\'s Coaster , Star Tours, Peter Pan,  Stitch Live , Panoramique , BTM  and Pirates of the Carribbean! !
For iTunes ] and MP3!

Newest episode.... Toy Story Playland The Tour and Rc RACER!

DutchBrit

Quote from: "Disney-Me"I would like to understand what is with all this negative talk about Duffy?!!!!!!!!! Why won't you give this poor teddy bear a chance to see how people will react to him in Paris.

I guess the problem may be that he makes it just that touch too obvious that the dark forces of Disney Merchandising are ripping you off.  They have just created a teddy bear out of nothing: no film or associations behind him to rake in a few more euros. And not just a few either, looking at their suggested prices!

Nope, if I wanted a Disney bear, I'd be going for Pooh, or Lotso or even Michael's teddy from Peter Pan. Those are really theirs to sell.

Disney-Me

Quote from: "DutchBrit"
Quote from: "Disney-Me"I would like to understand what is with all this negative talk about Duffy?!!!!!!!!! Why won't you give this poor teddy bear a chance to see how people will react to him in Paris.

I guess the problem may be that he makes it just that touch too obvious that the dark forces of Disney Merchandising are ripping you off.  They have just created a teddy bear out of nothing: no film or associations behind him to rake in a few more euros. And not just a few either, looking at their suggested prices!

Nope, if I wanted a Disney bear, I'd be going for Pooh, or Lotso or even Michael's teddy from Peter Pan. Those are really theirs to sell.

I don't know where exactly you get what your talking about from, but allow me to ask you who told they created him from nothing. For your information, all Disney characters came to existence from nothing and with time became something magical. Their is a background story for Duffy which I suppose you know. It's not necessary for Duffy to have a movie or associations to become an official Disney character. Duffy has a story but it's different to the Disney norm.

Dear friend, if your talking about the Duffy merchandise available for sale at the parks, just because you don't want to buy Duffy merchandise because the prices annoy you, doesn't mean you have to insult him. From what I posted earlier and clearly referring to Duffy as a character, he is one of the cutest and most fun to meet.

I'm surprised you can accept Michael's teddy bear from Peter Pan "which doesn't have a name", but at the same time you can't accept Mickey's Teddy bear, "Duffy", which Minnie gave him????!!!
Follow me on Twitter! All Disney related issues that I am aware about and experience myself will be posted online on Twitter regularly and personally by "DisneyMoi", who also happens to be Disney-Me, who is "ME". //https://twitter.com/#!/DisneyMoi.

Enjoy some of my experiences with the Disney characters around the world on Flickr! //http://www.flickr.com/photos/59201102@N06/

dagobert

I agree with DutchBrit. Duffy was just created to sell merchandise. He is a big success at the Tokyo Disney Resort, but he failed in the US and in Europe as well a few years ago when he was for the first time introduced. Now Disney is trying it again to make him popular, but I highly doubt that Duffy will be a huge success like in Tokyo.

And it wasn't Disney that gave the bear the backstory. It was the Oriental Land Company, owner and operator of the Tokyo Disney Resort, that created the backstory after gaining the rights from TWDC.

Before that happened, the bear didn't even have a name and had a completly different backstory. The bear is the only Disney character not featured in any movie ar TV series.

Disney-Me

Quote from: "dagobert"I agree with DutchBrit. Duffy was just created to sell merchandise. He is a big success at the Tokyo Disney Resort, but he failed in the US and in Europe as well a few years ago when he was for the first time introduced. Now Disney is trying it again to make him popular, but I highly doubt that Duffy will be a huge success like in Tokyo.

And it wasn't Disney that gave the bear the backstory. It was the Oriental Land Company, owner and operator of the Tokyo Disney Resort, that created the backstory after gaining the rights from TWDC.

Before that happened, the bear didn't even have a name and had a completly different backstory. The bear is the only Disney character not featured in any movie ar TV series.

Eventhough and even if they made him for the purpose of selling merchandise which is normal for the successful operation of a corporation, and even if Oriental Land Company created his background story, what is the problem?!!! I don't understand why we make a big deal out of nothing.

Duffy is cute, he's Mickey's Teddy bear, and created by Minnie, and most of all he is a Disney character. This is all that matters.

For your information, he's not the only character that is not in a movie or tv show. You have the Country Bears who only exist as characters because of their attraction in the Parks and don't have them in any movie but are still used in events such as shows, parades, and meet 'n' greets.

dagobert

That may be true, but at least they were created for an attraction in the first place and not for meeting them and selling merchandise. There is now a movie about the Country Bears, but it failed big time.

In Tokyo there is a second Disney Bear called Shellie May.

Reiana

Hm  :? Personally,  I don't think, Duffy itself is the cutest bear ever, but he is in Disneyland now and he deserves a chance.
No matter if he had no background story a few years ago, now there is one.
The average visitor probably doesn't even know he's been there a few years ago.

I think, the Duffy bears are a lot cuter the many variations from Stitch (don't get me wrong, I like Stitch) or any other Disney character sold at the resort. They often look pretty cheap and are overpriced too.

Next week I'll give Duffy a "real" chance and maybe my daughter will take one of the bears home.
 ;)

Riebi

sorry but...mickey hasn´t a disney bear. One day the marketing department had a bear and they didn´t know what to do with it. how could they get some money out of it? So someone just said: "Let´s say it´s mickey´s bear" like "let´s say mickey has a own mug/baby/star/piece of wood/kodak cam/..." (Yes I work at a marketing department and yes we do such things just to sell a product)

So they made a little story around it and that it is.

So there will always be people that love him or hate him.

I personally don´t like him much. Why? Cause I want a real story - bit deeper then minnie made it out of nothing - that what I want from disney to buy a that expensive bear. That what I want from disney to go to the parks and that what I want from disney to go to the cinema/disney store/... I want quality. A real story and not a bear out of a marketing department. It´s simply to clear. And I really can get why they spent all that money for him. The US people don´t like him. The europeans won´t. Just leave the bear at tokyo (disney seas) and everything is fine. Over there it´s fitting. You get the story. And it doesn´t look like a bad marketing gag.

I event think I would love it at tokyo disney seas  ;)  :lol:
Wer nämlich mit "H" schreibt ist dämlich.

...the DPG is watching U...