Duffy the Disney Bear

Started by Malin, January 14, 2011, 11:22:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vegitabeta

Ugh, I was really hoping it was a joke!  I want to shake Disney sometimes, hard.

Martin B

I was not a massive Duffy fan when I first heard of the co cept but it is growing on me. We will have to wait and see!
@DisneyMart - Follow me on twitter and I\'ll tweet live from Disneyland Paris and other Disney locations on our magical adventures... www.twitter.com/DisneyMart

lubynoo

I don't think it is cheap version of something that isn't Disney he was after all created for Disney and is very popular in HK and DL so perhaps they just want to bring him to Paris.

I do like the story of Duffy it is quite sweet and I love Minnie and Mickey so that helps. I think children will love him. I am not too thrilled about how they are bringing him in and removing the river boats mural etc and there was talk of him replacing the nutcracker solders in the parade (that would have been unforgivable) but it seems that he isn't now. I feel a bit like MartinB and I can see it growing on me more.

I didn't like the concept of the princess and the frog AT ALL because they had changed the story etc but now it is one of my favourite films I just had to be open minded and appreciate it for what it was instead of what I wanted it to be.

I think if it works it will make them a lot of money due to all the merch they can sell.

I do think he is a nice bear though and children will love him. As an adult I'm not sure how I feel about a meet and greet.

Patrick89

Oh my god, how can they replace such a great image with just another toon? This is just ridiculous. :evil:
Secure all cargo, all passengers aboard!

---------------------------------------------

Bring back the moon!

15MagicalYears

No one has seen the replacement image yet, yet you all seem so angry. It sure is devastating though surely the replacement is only temporary for the Christmas season.

Josh

But isn't Duffy going to be in the park all year round? It's just that he's being launched in the Christmas season.
Disneyland Paris
    [li]January 2000, 2012[/li]
    [li]April 2012[/li]
    [li]August 2009, 2011, 2013[/li]
    [li]New Year 1997-98, 1998-99, 2001-02, 2002-03, 2003-04, 2004-05, 2005-06, 2006-07[/li]
Walt Disney World
    [li]August 2008[/li]

bellefan75

Yeah, maybe it'll grow on me.(I can remember once upon a time, hearing about a forthcoming Disney/Pixar film, and thinking "a film about talking cars!!??? Are they mad!!??? Oh how I love that film!) I was just a bit disappointed with the bear costume. You get used to the big-eyed smiley Disney faces. Does he ever just wear a big red bow, like a teddy on a Christmas card? Is he meant to be a prezzie from Santa's sack? I wasn't mad on the sailor suit in the promo photos. And why is he called Duffy? Historically, are there no teddies in Disney films (apart from Lotso)?
1996~ Santa Fe & Davy Crockett Ranch
1997~ Cheyenne
1997~ Sequioa Lodge
2005~ Santa Fe
2005~ Sequoia Lodge
2007~ Santa Fe
2008~ Newport Bay Club
2013~ Hotel Cheyenne
2016~ Hotel Cheyenne
2018~ Hotel Cheyenne

lubynoo

I would imagine they are introducing him long term seems a lot of effort just for christmas. Maybe they are testing the waters to see what the DLP visitors make of him. Duffy is really popular in HK and DL so they probably want to recreate that.

I don't know why so many people are saying he in unknown etc he might be unknown in DLP but he IS disney and was created by them.

The riverboats might be a temporary thing and they may be back I think until we know for sure people getting upset just have to wait and see.

bellefan75

Just googled Duffy, and his back story is quite interesting. Starting off life purely as a plush from the merchandise division of WDTP.
1997~ Cheyenne
1997~ Sequioa Lodge
2005~ Santa Fe
2005~ Sequoia Lodge
2007~ Santa Fe
2008~ Newport Bay Club
2013~ Hotel Cheyenne
2016~ Hotel Cheyenne
2018~ Hotel Cheyenne

lubynoo

I HATE the sailor suit he is cute when he wears his christmas hat and when he wears his pumpkin.

The story has changed and changed but the story now is something like, Mickey has to go away on a boat (I think) and minnie gives him a bear to keep him company and they go around the world having adventures. It is quite cute and in DL they have little posters telling the story with pictures. I think given time I will grow to love him especially as they are proposing to sell him in different outfits so I don't have to have the sailor one which I don't like.

lubynoo

http://micechat.com/forums/tokyo-disney ... tures.html

That's quite a nice on because it has the pictures too

bellefan75

Oh, you've done it now lubynoo! You've said the words "pumpkin" and "costume"! I'm a sucker for a character in a Halloween costume!!! (but strangely, not the pumpkin men- glad to see the back of them, in favour of Mickey etc dressing up in all their Oct 31st finery!) I'm warming to Duffy already! Maybe the sailor costume reminds me too much if the let down stay at The Newport Bay Club ....(different tale for a different message thread..) :)
1997~ Cheyenne
1997~ Sequioa Lodge
2005~ Santa Fe
2005~ Sequoia Lodge
2007~ Santa Fe
2008~ Newport Bay Club
2013~ Hotel Cheyenne
2016~ Hotel Cheyenne
2018~ Hotel Cheyenne

lubynoo

There is a pink duffy as well she isn't called duffy I don't know what she is called but she has minnie type features and is also quite cute.

hahaha so so a tale after my own heart with my own let downs from the NPBC.

Duffy has LOTS of costumes but I think the pumpkin one is adorable. I did have one from American it was a gift and at the time I had no idea who he was but he was adorable but we lost him and I would love to get another one.

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?q=duffy+ ... ZUp&zoom=1

http://mickeycity.com/duffy-the-disney- ... ney-parks/

Patrick89

Quote from: "15MagicalYears"No one has seen the replacement image yet, yet you all seem so angry. It sure is devastating though surely the replacement is only temporary for the Christmas season.

I really hope so. It would be a shame if the riverboat mural would be gone forever. But I cannot imagine that it comes back. Disney is so focused on toons that they have no more sense of subtle details like that...
Secure all cargo, all passengers aboard!

---------------------------------------------

Bring back the moon!

pussinboots

Quote from: "lubynoo"http://micechat.com/forums/tokyo-disney-resort/118708-story-duffy-disney-bear-pictures.html

That's quite a nice on because it has the pictures too

Great illustrations! And those character crossovers are so Walt-era Disney. Duffy may be a banal effort to sell stuffed toys, but they put in the effort to make it all Disney quality. I wonder if we'll get a whiff of that in Paris.

Oh right, that mural. Expectations are high! I wouldn't want to be that artist right now.