New story for Space Mountain???

Started by Kristof, May 22, 2004, 04:07:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kristof

From dlp.info:

QuoteYou think the repainting of the Space Mountain's exterior is exciting news? You were blown away when you saw how bright the colors shine currently tested on the mountain? Think again and get ride for even more exciting news! The last weeks DLP.info was bussy trying to confirm the latest rumours swirling around the Space Mountain project and finally was able to find several inside sources who independently gave us the same or at least similar story. According to these sources Space Mountain is supposed to drop the current "From the Earth to the Moon" theme in time for its 10th anniversary next year replacing it with the non-Jules-Verne-connected SUPER NOVA theme.
Super Nova theme? Yep, that is how it has been dubbed currently by Imagineering. Certainly all plans are still in development as work for the themeing change does not have to start till later this year, but the current version envisions the guests to board the trains to get shot into space for a enjoyable space sightseeing tour, unfortunately something goes horrible wrong (doesn't it always in a good thrill ride?) when the train enters the canon, an alarm is sounded and the train starts to glide back as the system in the canon can't load it appropriately. Unfortunately it is too late to abort the launch sequence and so the train is shot from further down the canon than originally planned, thus it gets too fast and overshoots its planned flight orbit ... bringing it too close to a sun that is to turn into a super nova. In other words: getting it too near to a sun that is going to explode. When it turns into that super nova guests are supposed to feel the heat of the explosion, as their train / rocket races through space trying to stay ahead of the sun's remnants shooting out from the super nova - certainly making it safely back to the earth in the end. The ride will still use the same track as the current version but will feature new special effects supposed to make the experience even more exiting. Rumors have it that the Imagineers might use flat screens to show some of the super nova explosion elements and make them chase the trains / rockets. But again these are all preliminary plans which will certainly see some changes at least in the details before 2005.

:arrow:  Do you agree?  Does the current Jules Verne story need to be replaced by Supernova?

experiment627

Quote from: "raptor1982"Does the current Jules Verne story need to be replaced by Supernova?

First, let me just say that I don't think Space Mountain will lose its Verne-ian touch.

Second, I just love watching all those people "with an oppinion" bashing and moaning about what may become of their beloved Space Mountain without ANY facts. Mind you, I don't blame that on dlp.info - they probably got their story right more or less ... But some stories and rumours are just sooo incredibly silly.

If they can improve SM, then bring it on!

Kristof

Well, I can agree with that.  DLP.info has been proved to be wrong on several occassions...

But I just don't want the Jules Verne story to be replaced.  From earth to the moon is what makes Space Mountain what it is...

I don't mind an upgrade for it, like... a fresh paintjob, all effects restored, meteor shower effects, ...

experiment627

Quote from: "raptor1982"Well, I can agree with that.  DLP.info has been proved to be wrong on several occassions...

I didn't say they are wrong - I actually believe their story to a certain degree... what I said was that people are going crazy over this little piece of news.

QuoteBut I just don't want the Jules Verne story to be replaced.  From earth to the moon is what makes Space Mountain what it is...

Please, where do you get that Jules Verne is about to disappear???

Libby

I think its quite a good idea to change the story slightly, give the ride a new start almost!  You might aswell alter the story if the paint and decoration is being changed, besides I personally don't feel that the story of Jules Verne is understood or well known enough to be used anymore.  I know that when I went for my birthday at Christmas with some friends none of them even noticed a story!

Libby
xxx