Independent Article 22/08/10 - Quote from our Anthony!

Started by Festival Disney, August 28, 2010, 01:17:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Festival Disney

The rather negatice artice by the Independent which has a quote from Anthony at the end...

Here's the link: http://www.independent.co.uk/news/busin ... 58636.html

Discuss  ;)

(re-posted it here as I know some members don't read the TSPL article)
Past trips:
Nov 1997 - SF - 3 days
May 2003 - WDW
Aug 2009 - Off site - 4 days
Jul 2010 -  Disneyland Park - 1 day
Dec 2010, Jul 2011  - Ibis Val d'Europe - 6 days, 4 days
Apr 2012 - HNY - 4 days
Dec 2013  - NPBC - 4 days
Jul 2013 - SL - 5 day

Javey74

This is nothing new from the Independent, bad stories are always good stories to report, as with all stories really. Everyone has suffered through the ongoing recession, including DLP..  :(

I would be more interested in the comparison between Disneyland Anaheim (California) and DLP when it comes to financial aspects, especially looking at the state of Americas economy. I personally find that Anthony's comments were only representing the actual events that took place at the Fan Expo. You see it angers lots of Disney fans when it comes to top Disney officials deciding what should go into the park and at what cost, especially when opinions of the real fans are not listened to as though the officials know best. This is often not the case, and things do go wrong to the sound of woeful "told you so's" from the fans. After all it's the fans that hold the largest share..  :roll:

I personally think DLP is performing better than it has in the past on the whole, considering the present global recession, it's just treading a very close line between what will work and what won't. Only time will tell..  :|

dagobert

If I'm correct Disneyland Paris had a good third quarter and compared to the US parks it really did well.

Here are the third quarter results of TWDC:

Parks and Resorts
Parks and Resorts revenues for the quarter increased 3% to $2.8 billion and
segment operating income decreased 8% to $477 million. Results for the quarter
were driven by decreases at our domestic parks and Disney Cruise Line, partially
offset by improved results at our international operations.
Decreased operating income at our domestic parks was due to higher costs
and lower attendance and hotel occupancy, partially offset by higher guest
spending. Increased costs reflected labor cost inflation, higher pension and postretirement
medical expenses and costs for new guest offerings, including World of
Color at Disneyland Resort, partially offset by lower volume-related costs.
Decreased attendance in part reflected an unfavorable impact due to a shift in the
timing of the Easter holiday period relative to our fiscal periods. Higher guest
spending was primarily due to higher average ticket prices.
Disney Cruise Line operating income decreased due to lower passenger
cruise days, increased operating costs to support the fleet expansion and higher fuel
costs.
Improved results at our international operations reflected the sale of a real
estate property and increased guest spending, hotel occupancy and attendance at
Disneyland Paris. Improved results also reflected an increase at Hong Kong
Disneyland Resort driven by increased attendance, guest spending and hotel
occupancy.

But what happens if ED SCA can't sell parts of their real estate property anymore? Although DLP had a good third quarter, it is still far behind the US resorts. The US resorts are still making profits, despite the financial crisis, while DLRP hardly makes any profit.

Was Anthony attending the D23 expo?

davewasbaloo

Remember that the books look good right now at DLP due to the large sale of Val D'Europe (which was financially the biggest success for EDL). Next year could be interesting.
since 2001 (many before that)