Fantasyland Country Sections

Started by Magic M, January 21, 2010, 11:32:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magic M

Can someone (possibly with a little help from Google Earth) explain to me which parts of Fantasyland are the "British Corner", the "Italan Quarter" etc...

I guess I was always too busy looking at the rides to notice the subtle differences in the archetecture!

Also I was reading the original 1992 guidebook to (then) EuroDisney and it stated that Pizzeria Bella Notta was leaning without any straight lines (a la Tower of Pisa) is this the case?

MM

never2old

If I remember rightly, when you come into Fantasyland from the Castle, you have France to your left (L'Auberge de Cendrillon), and Germany to your right (Snow White, Pinocchio).

In the back of Fantasyland you have England (Peter Pan, Mr Toad's Hall, the station, all the way to Alice's labyrinth), then Belgium and the Netherlands (around the Windmill and Le Pays des Contes de Fees).

Finally I know the area around IASW, with the Fantasia Gelati, the pizzeria Bella Notte etc is (suprisingly) the Italian part.

Hope this helps!

kmara

I believe it is just the opposite way: when you enter fantasyland from the castle, the LEFT handside is germany (snow white and pinocchio) and on the RIGHT side is france (l'Auberge de Cendrillon). ;-)

And the part around "Au chalet de la marionette" is themed after South Tirol, which sounds Austrian but is located in Italy (northern Italy, close to the border of Austria).

This just a quick addition to n2o's answer.
DLP]

March 1995 - Walt Disney World Florida

pussinboots

Kmara makes a very good point about the location of Pinocchio. That whole cuckoo clock/Italian combination has confused generations. (Ever wondered about this while inside Au Chalet de la Marionnette?)

I remember reading how glad the Imagineers were when The Little Mermaid was a success, because it and the other new fairy tale films looming on the horizon would give them new material for Fantasyland after having squeezed every last drop out of the classic films. For the Italy section, for instance, all they had was Lady and the Tramp and a little Fantasia. (I suppose "Italy" means southern Italy here, and they wanted to keep the more Germanic, northern part of Italy represented by Pinocchio nearer Snow White's German section.)

It's perhaps a shame they're only now starting to use the 1990s films for these Fantasyland-type purposes. Bad timing, I suppose. Although at least we got a little Aladdin in Adventureland and Le Pays des Contes de Fées. They still haven't come close to doing justice to Beauty and the Beast, even with the dubious additions promised for the Magic Kingdom.

Kristof

And to add: Casey Jr - Le Peit Train du Cirque and Le Pays des Contes de Fées form Story Book Land, so they're not part of the country quarters. :-)

never2old

Quote from: "kmara"I believe it is just the opposite way: when you enter fantasyland from the castle, the LEFT handside is germany (snow white and pinocchio) and on the RIGHT side is france (l'Auberge de Cendrillon). ;-)

Right.... That's what I meant  :oops:  My secret is out, I mix up left and right  :lol:

Anthony

This all leaves Dumbo. Is that British, French, American, or just nowhere in particular?

And on this topic, is there any particular reason for the clogs stuck on the wall behind Le Confiserie des Trois Fées?

CentralPlazaPerson

Also what about Mad Hatter's Tea Cups? I suppose that would fit into England?

Maarten

Quote from: "Anthony"This all leaves Dumbo. Is that British, French, American, or just nowhere in particular?

I remember reading somewhere that Dumbo is in fact an American tale. The water features along the attraction in Fantasyland symbolise that fact that Dumbo should be seen as a separate attraction (or even continent if you will) between the English and German corner's. At least thats what I have heard. But according to that logic, pehaps they should have switched Mad Hatters Tea Cups and Dumbo?

pussinboots

I think the logic there is that back then, they still realized that a ride like Dumbo works a heck of a lot better when you put it in the middle of something than when you put it in a corner. The thing with the water is clever, but if it's true it's probably an afterthought.

never2old

I read somewhere that Dumbo represented a travelling circus, coming to visit the village - so it's not really representing any country in particular.

The teacups are part of England I think.

And the clogs behind la Confisserie are Cinderella's clogs!

RiverRogue

The tea cups, along with March Hare Refreshments and Alice's Curious Labyrinth, form a seperate Wonderland section which could of curse be viewed as an extension of the British section. The Old Mill along with the Storybook canals is generally referred to as the Dutch part of Fantasyland.

ToadWithPinkEyes

Ah yes. Canal boats! Totally dutch! I never knew all this country stuff! SO interesting!! So the only question is where would they put a Little Mermaid attraction and a Beauty and The Beast attraction? Is there space in the country corners??

never2old

Beauty and the Beast was originally planned to go in the French area, if I remember it right.