Third Quarter Announcement FY 2008

Started by Kristof, July 24, 2008, 10:12:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kristof

Highlights rom the official press release:

» Nine-month year-to-date revenues increased 12% to € 937 million

» Third quarter revenues up 3% despite the Easter Holiday shift in Europe to the second
quarter

» Theme parks revenues increased 13% to € 498.4 million from € 443.0 million in the prior-year period, driven by increases in attendance and average spending per guest.

» Hotels and Disney® Village revenues increased 10% to € 371.4 million from € 338.0 million in the prior-year period, primarily driven by increases in average spending per room and hotel occupancy.

» Real estate revenues increased € 16.8 million from the prior-year period to € 25.6 million, principally resulting from € 12.5 million of revenue related to the first quarter 2008 sale of a property in Val d'Europe which had been subject to a long term ground lease.

(I'll post a link to the full press release when the Euro Disney site is back online!)

Riebi

What means that? I don´t understand  :(

QuoteAs disclosed in May 2008, the Group is involved in litigation with a counter party, seeking the refund of a portion
of expenditures made as from calendar year 2001 related to the hotel operations. In April 2008, the Group
received confirmation that it would be reimbursed amounts related to calendar years 2003 and 2004
for € 8.1 million, net of legal fees. The Group recorded this gain during the Third Quarter as a reduction of costs
and expenses.

Press release: //http://corporate.disneylandparis.com/CORP/EN/Neutral/Images/uk-2008-07-24-euro-disney-sca-reports-revenues-for-the-nine-months-ended-june-30-2008.pdf

The rest is clear for me aaaand good to hear :mrgreen:
Wer nämlich mit "H" schreibt ist dämlich.

...the DPG is watching U...

Anthony

@Riebi: I think that just means they had a dispute with another company providing some service relating to the hotels and have been refunded that money, which they've taken as a reduction in costs for the quarter. Nothing that important.

It's generally good news I suppose, no horrors lurking in there, just very similar to recent quarters.

One thing which stands out for me is that attendance increased by just 1% on last year. ONE percent?? That's surely actually pretty awful, considering they just opened a €180m major attraction?

Riebi

Quote from: "Anthony"One thing which stands out for me is that attendance increased by just 1% on last year. ONE percent?? That's surely actually pretty awful, considering they just opened a €180m major attraction?

Maybe cause the hotel capacities are now "bailed". There shouldn´t be much space to grow for the not local tourist marked.
And of course it seems that they´ve been concentrated on the british, french and spanish markets over the last years. Maybe this markets are on her limit now and they need additional markets/guest countries. (don´t forget: The germans even don´t know anything about the birthday and the tower (yes I now I repeat myself :mrgreen: )
So lets hope the summer season gives again a push! But the 1 % couldn´t be just some issues based on the early easter season.
Wer nämlich mit "H" schreibt ist dämlich.

...the DPG is watching U...

davewasbaloo

What is interesting is what does this mean in cash or debt terms?  Will DLP ever make a profit?
since 2001 (many before that)

penfold12

Surely a 1% increase even though  Easter wasn't in this period this year, but was last year shows a stronger growth than you think. If Easter had been in this period, then the growth would of been more than 1%...

Japper

They also didn't give the tower that big promotion. This is more the result of ' the celebration continous'..

Anthony

Quote from: "penfold12"Surely a 1% increase even though  Easter wasn't in this period this year, but was last year shows a stronger growth than you think. If Easter had been in this period, then the growth would of been more than 1%...
I've just been trying to work this out...

First Half 2007: Attendance up 10.9%
Third Quarter 2007: Attendance up 9%
Total for the first nine months: Attendance up 10%

First Half 2008: Attendance up 14.8%
Third Quarter 2008: Attendance up 1%
Total for the first nine months: Attendance up 10%

So it has balanced out. Overall they're growing at the same rate so far. By the Annual Report in November last year, they could post attendance growth of 13.3% for the year. If they stay on track for the next three months, they'll finally go past the 15 million count, won't they? They were hoping for 15-16m each year with the opening of WDS...

It's pretty hard to know how close they are to posting a profit since there's no costs and expenses here. In the first half they halved their loss to €43 from €82.  Last year, they halved the overall loss to that exact amount, which seems to say they lose more in the first half than the second... right?

Maybe they're close, very very close, but I'd predict another year. And even then, this Mickey's Magical Party is going to have to be incredibly strong. I'm guessing the Entertainment directors are "bricking it" right now... :lol:

penfold12

I sort of worked out the same figures, there or there about,  but didn't post them as I have no real idea if they work out right  :oops:

I think maintaining, let alone growing even more attendance, with next years promotion, with the added effect of the credit crunch must be a tough ask....

Unless the credit crunch has the effect of driving guests to visit DLRP who would normally visit WDW? Keeping it shorter and more local may be an attractive option for some guests. Just need that sector to out way the guests who decide not to visit due to increased cost of living.

Its just the luck of the resort. Finally begin to show sustainable growth, and bam, the world economy falls through the floor! I think the big win has to be productivity drives. Not cost cutting, but productivity. If these take the form of one park map for both parks (which must reduce production costs surely) then im all for it. Productivity without compromising standards has to sit along side any potential growth to start hitting profit!

I would love to see their budget for the financial year, I wonder if they are on target against their budgets, and if they infact budgeted to make profit this year??

Mind you, it hasnt hurt yet, and those attractions from the states must look all the more inviting with the dollar being so low!!!

Javey74

Quote from: "Kristof"Highlights rom the official press release:

» Nine-month year-to-date revenues increased 12% to € 937 million

» Third quarter revenues up 3% despite the Easter Holiday shift in Europe to the second
quarter

» Theme parks revenues increased 13% to € 498.4 million from € 443.0 million in the prior-year period, driven by increases in attendance and average spending per guest.

» Hotels and Disney® Village revenues increased 10% to € 371.4 million from € 338.0 million in the prior-year period, primarily driven by increases in average spending per room and hotel occupancy.

» Real estate revenues increased € 16.8 million from the prior-year period to € 25.6 million, principally resulting from € 12.5 million of revenue related to the first quarter 2008 sale of a property in Val d'Europe which had been subject to a long term ground lease.

(I'll post a link to the full press release when the Euro Disney site is back online!)

My point is this...after looking at these figures>>

DLRP is heading in the right direction for sure...Keep going and the dream of profit will come true in the end..  :D/  :D/  :D/

penfold12

//http://www.istockanalyst.com/article/viewiStockNews+articleid_2429581&title=Euro_Disney_SCA.html

The results over 9 months, rather than just the third quarter.

It looks very healthy!

Nicholas-c

Very good news :)
August 2003, 04, 05, 06, 07 and 08 - With family
Halloween 2008 - Best trip ever
July 2009 - All alone

roaldbergmann

So what are the attendance at the moment? And does anyone where to find the attendence for each year since the resort opened (would be a fun graphic view)?