Making the most of my trip

Started by Lpjdisney2017, October 26, 2017, 10:35:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lpjdisney2017

We have booked to come on 13th dec for 4 nights the first day we don't arrive till 4pm and leave at 12.00 on the last day.
We have booked half board plus and am wanting to use these for evening meals as don't want to waist a second on a sit down meal during the day.
What are you best tips to getting the most out of the park and the best value for the meals?
We are staying in Santa fe.
All advice tips and tricks greatly accepted

macca1476

First rule is to not stress out about not doing everything. I've been so many times but still forget this rule when i get there. Usually waste a day at the start trying to do too much and its not enjoyable. It's not Alton Towers or Thorpe Park in that Disney is all about the attention to detail and the atmosphere and if you are stressed and rushing you wont enjoy it.

To that end, when you get in the park get a program and plan out your day so you can make sure you do any shows that are on. Character meets are next up, have a look through and find the favorites and allow maybe an hour queuing for each (last week Dr Facilier was 20 minutes, but Jack Skellington was about 80 minutes).

Also if you are in the parks early there are a couple of fast passes you must have. In Studios it is Ratatouille, Disneyland it is Big Thunder Mountain or Hyperspace Mountain. Everything else usually has queues of less than an hour.

claire2281

I'm going to be there at a similar time (18th-20th) and my plan is definitely to prioritise shows/parades over rides.

Phantom Manor is closing for a big refurb and ToT is rumoured to be refitted to Mission Breakout next year so I'm definitely heading for those and the newly reopened PotC, but everything else will be there on a return visit so I can go back to them at another time. Shows may not be.

Take advantage of the fastpass system and the extra magic times to help you cut down on your waiting where you can. Never queue up properly for BtM! If you want one fastpass it's for that one and they all get given up reasonably early in the day so head there at the start and pick up your passes.

If you want to ride it, the one thing you have to just suck it up for is Crush which will always have long queues. Even now it's open during EMT you have to be there at 8:30 or it'll still have an hour long queue (at least!).

Some character meet and greets can be done during EMT so keep an eye out for these (particularly in the Town Square area of Main Street).

Bear in mind that your half board vouchers can't be used in a lot of the Village restaurants as they aren't owned by Disney so think carefully about where you want evening meals. Once the parks close your choices are more limited. You can eat at your hotel but I've never stayed in the Santa Fe so I couldn't tell you what it was like. You may need to book these in advance to guarantee a table as all restaurants can get fully booked up before you even arrive. You can use your vouchers at counter service places and tbh I find that the menus there are often plenty filling enough to be a main meal. Counter service is great in that you can time it around other things and it's not busy if you eat outside peak times. The counter service meal is usually cheaper than your vouchers are worth but I guess that depends upon how bothered you are (personally I only have meal plans when they're free as part of the package so since I didn't pay for them, I don't care!).
My Trips:
03/2009 DCR -- 07/2009 DLH -- 03/2010 Cheyenne -- 07/2010  DLH -- 12/2010 SL -- 03/2011  Cheyenne -- 08/2011 NBC -- 12/2012 HNY -- 03/2013  Cheyenne - 12/2014 SL -- 03/2016 Cheyenne -- 07/2017  Cheyenne - 12/2017 SL - 08/18 - Cheyenne - 12/2018 NBC - 07/2019 Cheyenne