First time with a 9 month old... eeep!

Started by pumpkin7, September 03, 2017, 06:47:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pumpkin7

Well, technically second time. I was 16 weeks pregnant last time we went!

So this will be our 3rd trip in as many years, but our first with a baby in tow. I am beyond nervous. I kind of wish we had waited until she was a bit older but husband wanted to book, so of course I couldn't say no. But I have a few questions:

What can I expect? I know there is a child swap available for the rides my LO can't ride, but how does it work? Do we all have to wait in line or can one of us wait outside and then swap?

Are there dedicated baby areas for heating up food? She's weaning and will eat some finger foods but she's still on bottles and baby food jars. We are staying in Val D'Europe so I'm planning on going to the supermarket to get some supplies. I know they don't do her powder, but I assume they do baby food jars?

This will be our first time travelling out the country with a baby, ever! So i don't even know what constitutes as hand luggage. Can you take baby powder as hand luggage? I don't know whether it's best to take the pre made milk. Can you get that in the airport?
What about medications? We have some anbesol for her teething which i desperately need to take in the hand luggage, and calpol. I've never had to take anything before.

If anyone can offer some advice, I'd greatly appreciate it. Thank you.

justlikeidreamedit

First of all. Don't panic. DLP is probably the best place to go with a baby.

Rides. There are many rides you can still go on. Just look at the park differently and maybe do things that you wouldn't have done before like watching shows and photos with characters. Rides like Small World and Pays des Contes de Fees are great to go on.  Baby Switch is really easy, Just mention that you want to do it to the Cast Member at the entrance and one of you gets in the queue as normal. The other goes with baby in pushchair to the exit of ride and you literally swap over places and the other goes on. I used to wander round the shops for a while if the queue was long.

In each park there is a baby room. Lovely and warm with toilets, highchairs, changing facilities, bottle warmer and microwave. They also sell essentials if you need anything. You are made to feel very welcome by the staff there and particularly the main park one, there is plenty of space.

All toilets have changing units and restaurants have high chairs.

As far as flying goes, you can take a pushchair and I think car seat with you which has to go in the hold. You do have pushchair with you until you get on the plane but you don't get it back until baggage reclaim. I have a feeling CDG airport sends pushchairs to a different carousel to bags. Baby doesn't get any luggage allowance as far as I can remember but just pack to suit. At security you will be asked to drink some of the liquid in baby's bottle. Therefore I used to put powder in a dispenser and just the boiled water in bottles and mix when needed.  I always took Calpol sachets and any other medication and put it in a small bag to present as liquids at security. Any sealed cartons of milk are fine too, just present them separately in the trays at security. Check the rules for your airline on their website to be completely sure.

Buy as much as you can before you go. Baby food and premixed milk, if you are using it, will be available at Boots in the airport but you will pay a lot more. I found the little pots to hold a portion of milk powder handy. I also took a small amount of washing up liquid, bottle brush and tea towel for washing dirty pots and bottles at end of each day in the hotel room.

Think I have covered your worries, but happy to answer any more. I took my 2 as tiny babies and went once or twice each year before they started school as I felt so comfortable and catered for there.

pumpkin7

Thank you so much for your reply! I'm glad we chose DLP to go to as our first trip abroad because we know it, but I also know it's completely different with a little one in tow.

THank you for your advice regarding milk. She only has a few bottles a day now, but even the logistics of that is mind boggling. I use the little tubs daily anyway to hold portions of milk, so I'll just take a good supply and hope we don't get delayed. I know Boots would be more expensive, but at least it's there if needs be.
Do you know if you can take the jars of food through security with you? I'll put some in the suitcase but I'll need one or two for the journey. And can you take a flask with boiling water through? I use it to make the forumla up.

We've decided to take a train to and from DLP/CDG so thankfully we don't need to take a car seat thankfully. We also have a baby carrier for when we don't have the pushchair.

I'm so glad that's how baby swap works! I had visions of all of us having to queue, without a pushchair and ending up with a very grumpy baby. Here's a random one for you though: do you (or anyone else) know if you can bypass the stretching room in Phantom Manor? I think my LO would enjoy the ride as its slow paced and has plenty to look at, but she doesn't do too well in cheering crowds (we went to a wedding a few weeks ago, and we did a group shot, and she burst into tears when everyone shouted like the photographer told us to!) . Plus I don't really want her being pushed up against a bunch of strangers if it can be helped.

justlikeidreamedit

Would think you will be fine with baby food as food is usually allowed on planes. Keep the factory seal on to be on the safe side.Maybe avoid the flask with water in. You could always ask a cafe at the airport to put hot water in it. I also used to boil a kettle at the last minute before we left home and pour it into a bottle and then keep in an insulated bag so by the time we got anywhere it had cooled down sufficiently.

The other thing I forgot to mention is that the hotel may have a microwave you can use. Cheyenne and New York had one on the end of the bar so you could warm up any milk. Was particularly good when they were on cows milk and could have a warm bedtime bottle. There was always one in the breakfast dining room too.

Can't help on the Phantom Manor question though. We don't do that ride very often.

Have a fab trip and start making a list now of the things you use daily and then you won't forget anything.

claire2281

I THINK it's possible to skip the Stretching Room as I've seen people join the ride queue right by the embarking point, however I suspect this is the disabled entrance and you may or may not be able to use this as obviously it also skips the queue. You'd have to talk to a cast member because tbh I've no idea how they get you to the show building without the Stretching Room.

Depending on the time of year you're going, you may find it's not very busy and you can just ensure you walk into the lift near last and therefore are near the edge so you don't feel so squashed.
My Trips:
03/2009 DCR -- 07/2009 DLH -- 03/2010 Cheyenne -- 07/2010  DLH -- 12/2010 SL -- 03/2011  Cheyenne -- 08/2011 NBC -- 12/2012 HNY -- 03/2013  Cheyenne - 12/2014 SL -- 03/2016 Cheyenne -- 07/2017  Cheyenne - 12/2017 SL - 08/18 - Cheyenne - 12/2018 NBC - 07/2019 Cheyenne